Official 2016 Draft Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Re: Official 2016 Draft Thread

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

Mikkeman wrote:Based on what I have seen and read about Murray, he looks like potentially a little bigger version of C.J McCollum with higher upside since he is much younger than McCollum was when he was drafted.

And McCollum would be pretty nice player for us despite his limitations as a defender.

McCollum is a much better defender than Murray.

It will be interesting to see how the NBA Combine goes. Its my opinion that there are 3 or 4 guys that are probably a lock for the top 5 (Ingram, Simmons, Bender and probably Hield) and maybe another 3 that are locks for the top 10 (Dunn, Brown and Murray). So there's another 3 guys that could move somewhere into the top four to ten spots. Guys like Luwawu, Deyonta Davis, Skal, Valentine, Sabonis, McCaw, and Chriss could potentially shoot up into the top ten with good combine and workout results. Then you have some other interesting prospects including Thon Maker, Qi, Payton, Onuaku, Yabusele, Prince, Korkmaz, Cordinier, Lawson and Allen who could potentially work themselves into top 20 picks. I can't wait.

TRKO wrote:I think Murray's the guy for us. Can potentially play both G spots and provide shooting off the bench. I think Thibs may be more inclined to look at Dunn or Brown though due to defense.

I don't think Murray can play point guard effectively and why would you want him to. He is no better than Zach at handling the ball and is turnover prone. We have Tyus on the roster. If we want someone who can play point guard, Dunn is the far better move. Last time the Wolves opted for a tweener type it was Foye when you had Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay available. I don't want a tweener guard.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Team Ricky I get you don't like Murray but it feels like you aren't being fair in comparing him to other players.

Fun stat CJ made 217 3's his entire college career which did include an injury shortened senior season. Murray made 113 last year. Sure CJ is a better defender now but the dude is over 5 years older and in his 3rd NBA season after being drafted as a senior in college.

Foye was a poor FG% senior guard. That's not the same as Murray.

I think a better conparison if you wanted to make a case against Murray would be OJ Mayo. That guy ULTIMATELY didn't live up to his potential. At best he is a handy bench player. He had some good years but at this point that seems to have been a mirage. Make a case that Murray is gonna fail because of a guy like Mayo and that I could live with more. Just sayin.
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

Thank you for the responses! From what I understand from DX and this forum I think I would rank the top six players for us like this
1.Ingram
2.Simmons
3.Murray
4.Dunn
5.Hield
6.Brown

I have no clue about Bender but I'm sure once I do more homework on him that he'll be somewhere on that list. I wish the lottery was over already!

monsterpile wrote:Team Ricky I get you don't like Murray but it feels like you aren't being fair in comparing him to other players.

Fun stat CJ made 217 3's his entire college career which did include an injury shortened senior season. Murray made 113 last year. Sure CJ is a better defender now but the dude is over 5 years older and in his 3rd NBA season after being drafted as a senior in college.

I think a better conparison if you wanted to make a case against Murray would be OJ Mayo. That guy ULTIMATELY didn't live up to his potential. At best he is a handy bench player. He had some good years but at this point that seems to have been a mirage. Make a case that Murray is gonna fail because of a guy like Mayo and that I could live with more. Just sayin.

Monster, I am comparing the college Murray to the college prospect McCollum. I liked McCollum as a college prospect and he was more of a two way player than Murray in college. McCollum scored pretty well in advanced defensive stats and his steal rate was very high.

I have always been a fan of complete players and I like that Thibs is too. Outside of his three point shooting and scoring, Murray doesn't have much in the way of elite skills. Andrew Morrison, Jimmer, Stauskas and Derrick Williams were all heralded for their three point shooting and scoring in college. But they were all bad defenders in college and never lived up to the hype. McBuckets and Devin Booker get hyped up for their three point shooting, but check their defensive ratings--they are near the bottom in the league. If we want a three point guy lets get a guy who can play defense too. Klay excelled in both three point shooting and had good defensive stats in college. Kawhi was a great defender in college who developed his three point shooting as a pro. I'd rather a guy that shoots around 35% threes in college and is a good defender, than a guy who shoots 40.8% on threes and has shown very little to suggest he'll be a good defender in the NBA.

Monster, there are several guys who can shoot the 3 and defend well. Ingram (41%), Luwawu (39%), Valentine (44%), McCaw (39%), Baldwin (42%). I don't know what Bender's percentage is but I see a guy who will be a very good outside shooter in the pros. Dunn shoots around 36% but is a very good defender. Marquese Chriss shoots 35% and is a good shot blocker. Dedric Lawson is a freshman shooting 35%, and has 1.2 steals and 1.7 blocks a game with a very good D-Rating. Caris Levert shot over 40% from threes and is considered a decent defender with a 7"1 wingspan, though he has had some injury concerns.

The other thing to keep in mind is that three point shooting is something that can be developed in the NBA with hard work. Kawhi is the one that comes to mind, but there are other players who over their careers added three point shooting to their game. Good defense is much harder to develop than outside shooting--in many cases you either have the physical tools, court awareness and mindset to play good defense or you don't.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

TeamRicky wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Team Ricky I get you don't like Murray but it feels like you aren't being fair in comparing him to other players.

Monster, I am comparing the college Murray to the college prospect McCollum. I liked McCollum as a college prospect and he was more of a two way player than Murray in college. McCollum scored pretty well in advanced defensive stats and his steal rate was very high.

I have always been a fan of complete players and I like that Thibs is too. Outside of his three point shooting and scoring, Murray doesn't have much in the way of elite skills. Andrew Morrison, Jimmer, Stauskas and Derrick Williams were all heralded for their three point shooting and scoring in college. But they were all bad defenders in college and never lived up to the hype. McBuckets and Devin Booker get hyped up for their three point shooting, but check their defensive ratings--they are near the bottom in the league. If we want a three point guy lets get a guy who can play defense too. Klay excelled in both three point shooting and had good defensive stats in college. Kawhi was a great defender in college who developed his three point shooting as a pro. I'd rather a guy that shoots around 35% threes in college and is a good defender, than a guy who shoots 40.8% on threes and has shown very little to suggest he'll be a good defender in the NBA.

Ricky, while I'm not sold yet on Murray either (although I'm warming to him a little), he was a much better defender in college than CJ McCollum. You really can't compare their defensive stats, because Murray faced top level NCAA competition while McCollum played in the very weak Patriot League. With a daughter at Colgate, I saw several Patriot League games (including a Lehigh game against McCollum in 2011) and I can tell you it was more like watching high school basketball than what I was accustomed to watching in college b-ball. Yes, CJ had a lot of steals, but he was picking the pocket of guys who went to college to get a good education...not to play basketball. NBAdraft.net understood this and gave McCollum a 6 defensive rating out of 10. They gave Murray an 8, although they did mention his tendency to gamble on defense.

longstrangetrip wrote:
TeamRicky wrote:

Ricky, while I'm not sold yet on Murray either (although I'm warming to him a little), he was a much better defender in college than CJ McCollum. You really can't compare their defensive stats, because Murray faced top level NCAA competition while McCollum played in the very weak Patriot League. With a daughter at Colgate, I saw several Patriot League games (including a Lehigh game against McCollum in 2011) and I can tell you it was more like watching high school basketball than what I was accustomed to watching in college b-ball. Yes, CJ had a lot of steals, but he was picking the pocket of guys who went to college to get a good education...not to play basketball. NBAdraft.net understood this and gave McCollum a 6 defensive rating out of 10. They gave Murray an 8, although they did mention his tendency to gamble on defense.

LST, its true that level of competition is a factor but I have to disagree that Murray was a "much better defender in college than CJ McCollum." McCollum has better defensive stats, so your basing your judgment on your eye test. I have watched Murray play in all the Pan Am games for Canada plus several Kentucky games and I have to say I was underwhelmed with him, particularly on defense. When you factor in his lack of lateral quickness, his lack of size and short wingspan for the 2 guard spot and his seemingly lack of effort in playing defense, I don't project him well as a defender in the NBA.
MikkeMan

Post by MikkeMan »

TeamRicky wrote:
Mikkeman wrote:Based on what I have seen and read about Murray, he looks like potentially a little bigger version of C.J McCollum with higher upside since he is much younger than McCollum was when he was drafted.

And McCollum would be pretty nice player for us despite his limitations as a defender.

McCollum is a much better defender than Murray.

Yes, he is now at age of 24 much better defender than Murray at age 19. But I suspect that he was not even as good as Murray when he was 19 year old freshman at Lehigh. In fact based on NBADraft.net Murray would be as freshman defensively ahead of McCollum as senior.