Game thread 2018 season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Game thread 2018 season

Post by Monster »

Santana continues to struggle. It's starting to look less likely that a team is going to take a chance on him to help them down the stretch.

Meanwhile Forsythe continues his tear at the plate with a 5 for 5 day. Sano looks more like the guy we thought he was gonna be. Someone said on Twitter that he just looks happy to be playing baseball again. I'm starting to be more curious about how this team finishes up the season and Buxton had another positive night at the plate in the minors.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Any chance we flip Forsythe for another prospect?
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Any chance we flip Forsythe for another prospect?

I thought it was possible that he would hit at a decent clip (he has 3 worthwhile seasons in a row as a hitter before this one) and we could move him again but he has been on fire. I don't know what the need/demand is for a guy like him. He has said recently some of the reason for his success is actually playing everyday. He might not be wanting badly to go to a playoff team where he might be a bench guy and rather play everyday to hope and rehab his status heading into FA. I don't actually know just sayin.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Fun game last night. Gibson is a different pitcher than we saw not that long ago. Before he would have fallen apart with that inning he gave up a couple runs and had the bases loaded. He got out without too much damage and the Twins were able to make a comeback. Austin had a bomb and Mauer with the Twins fist pinch hit HR of the year. Someone tweeted at Lavelle where Mauer would sign with the Twins or elsewhere and he replied "Its Twins or bust".

Taking a bit of step back looking at the season Cleveland is now 19 games over .500 and on a 6 game win streak. Selling looks to be the right move. The Twins have a nice 4 game win streak and are 5 games under .500. Last season they finished 85-77 and with all the injuries traded and relative bad luck (Wolfson mentioned on a recent podcast they have used 49 players this year last year was the record with 52) if they finish a couple games under .500 you could argue they maybe overachieved a bit considering all the circumstances. 41 games left so we will see how things finish up.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Stephen Gonsalves didn't have a good debut.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Stephen Gonsalves didn't have a good debut.

Nope. Hopefully he got the butterflies out of the way and can have some success.

Cave had another nice night at the plate and Austin is hitting. I keep looking at Sano and thinking he just looks in good shape. The other day he was hustling down the line to try to beat out a throw to first and he was really moving and certainly didn't look like fat dude running. I want to see him learn from whatever came before and succeed.

Also Drake was kinda looked at by many as a joke when the Twins claimed him but he has been lights out so far.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I agree. I was hoping from more from Gonsalves, but it is his first game.

That is good news about Sano, Cave, and Tyler.

I am happy for Oliver Drake. What a crazy year for him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I agree. I was hoping from more from Gonsalves, but it is his first game.

That is good news about Sano, Cave, and Tyler.

I am happy for Oliver Drake. What a crazy year for him.

Drake has high strike out rates. His delivery is so over the top. Seriously. It kinda looks like he is going to throw the ball into the ground or something. Lol I guess he used to just throw 2 pitches a fast ball and a splitter but added a curveball last offseason. If the Twins keep him around he is under team control through 2022.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I'm lucky to be out of town, because I likely would have scalped some tix and gone to the game last night if I were in town...and it would have been really disappointing. I have been following Gonsalves since high school and really expect him to be great, but it sounds like nerves got to him. It also sounds like he gave up a few cheap hits and that his defense didn't help him out much. Let's hope his second start is a lot more successful.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Well Willians Astudillo is coming back. I like the guy as an outlier and grinder that is the jack of all trades and master of none.

Gibby has been struggling lately. He is at his high for innings in his career this year.