Beasley gets paid by the Wolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Beasley gets paid by the Wolves

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:I don't think going this small with Towns as your only big to rebound is going to go well at all in the Western Conference. As is I think this team is fighting for 10th and if there are any issues with Towns the season is just chalked. Too many one way players. The minutes are just gonna be awkward and will take a long time to find the right combination with this many guys playing similar roles. I'm trying real hard to think of the right combinations that are going to make this team good on a consistent basis and the only thing I can come up with is if Edwards comes in and is a go-to scorer in a way that we have 3 guys we can rely on to fill that role on a nightly basis. That's about my only point of potential optimism with this team right now. If we're closing games out with Russell/Beasley/Edwards/Juan/Towns I just don't know how they stop anyone.

I just think it's amusing how this front office pounds the table over analytics and being forward-thinking, but they're intentionally ignoring that rebounding differential, rim protection, points in the paint, and second chance points are all areas that make a big difference in winning games and this team is going to be awful at them. We're basically rolling out undersized players at every position besides center and conceding those categories. The whole "pace and space" concept doesn't work like Gersson Rosas wants it to if you're constantly getting out-rebounded and taking the ball from out of bounds because the opposition just scored.

That's right, Cam. I was on to Rosas when he first came here. He'd used all the buzz words like analytics, alignment, execution, but there never seemed to be much substance behind it. If you listened carefully you'd notice that some of his sentences were contradictory and sometimes incomprehensible. That's a big reason I had reservations about him from the beginning. His actions have confirmed my initial impression. Analytics is just a word to him. He's trying to be Morey without Morey's intellectual acumen. The result is bizarre.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:I don't think going this small with Towns as your only big to rebound is going to go well at all in the Western Conference. As is I think this team is fighting for 10th and if there are any issues with Towns the season is just chalked. Too many one way players. The minutes are just gonna be awkward and will take a long time to find the right combination with this many guys playing similar roles. I'm trying real hard to think of the right combinations that are going to make this team good on a consistent basis and the only thing I can come up with is if Edwards comes in and is a go-to scorer in a way that we have 3 guys we can rely on to fill that role on a nightly basis. That's about my only point of potential optimism with this team right now. If we're closing games out with Russell/Beasley/Edwards/Juan/Towns I just don't know how they stop anyone.

I just think it's amusing how this front office pounds the table over analytics and being forward-thinking, but they're intentionally ignoring that rebounding differential, rim protection, points in the paint, and second chance points are all areas that make a big difference in winning games and this team is going to be awful at them. We're basically rolling out undersized players at every position besides center and conceding those categories. The whole "pace and space" concept doesn't work like Gersson Rosas wants it to if you're constantly getting out-rebounded and taking the ball from out of bounds because the opposition just scored.

I generally agree with what you are getting at here but something to consider:

Vanderbilt is the guy that in theory brings what is lacking on the roster from the PF spot at least in the rebounding dept based on his numbers in college and G-league. I like the guy but I absolutely need to see something legit from him at the NBA level for at least like 10 games before I really start buying in on that hope.

Also Juancho at PF isn't undersized...not saying I'm a believer in him as a starter.

So lets say they play Vanderbilt and Juancho a chunk of the minutes at PF. They aren't undersized. Undertalented? Yes but not really undersized. Rim protection? lol no.

Russell and Rubio are above average in size as PGs. They aren't undersized if they share the guard spots.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

Vanderbilt is the guy that in theory brings what is lacking on the roster from the PF spot at least in the rebounding dept based on his numbers in college and G-league. I like the guy but I absolutely need to see something legit from him at the NBA level for at least like 10 games before I really start buying in on that hope.

Also Juancho at PF isn't undersized...not saying I'm a believer in him as a starter.

So lets say they play Vanderbilt and Juancho a chunk of the minutes at PF. They aren't undersized. Undertalented? Yes but not really undersized. Rim protection? lol no.

Russell and Rubio are above average in size as PGs. They aren't undersized if they share the guard spots.

Good teams aren't relying on G-League stars to wake up one day and everything click. While they may find hidden gems now and then, there's almost always a more stable option ahead of them.

Hernangomez is 6'9, 214-pounds -- emphasis being on 214-pounds. That's undersized. He gets moved around way too easily. Vanderbilt is listed at 6'9, 214-pounds also, which is again undersized. I'm hopeful that Vanderbilt has added good weight this off-season as he does look bigger to me, but my point still stands for now.

Our 19-year old number one pick is 230 for comparison. Josh Okogie is 213 and is five inches shorter. Come on now.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

Good teams aren't relying on G-League stars to wake up one day and everything click. While they may find hidden gems now and then, there's almost always a more stable option ahead of them.

Hernangomez is 6'9, 214-pounds -- emphasis being on 214-pounds. That's undersized. He gets moved around way too easily. Vanderbilt is listed at 6'9, 214-pounds also, which is again undersized. I'm hopeful that Vanderbilt has added good weight this off-season as he does look bigger to me, but my point still stands for now.

Our 19-year old number one pick is 230 for comparison. Josh Okogie is 213 and is five inches shorter. Come on now.

Ok if you are including girth For those guys than that's fair thanks for clarifying.

I still don't see any player on the roster playing guard being undersized unless we are going to count our guy McLaughlin which I don't really think makes sense as he is a bench PG.

It will be interesting to see what role Layman plays. Undersized at PF but just fine at SF even with short arms and not strong but he is really athletic. He isn't a guy that will be THE difference maker on this roster but if he is a legit rotation contributor that's going to be help a lot. Him being that relatively impactful is not certain though but I feel kinda good about it. Of course the bar isn't all that high for him to contribute at that level.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Just another example... that the Wolves organization (from the very top) does not view accountability as something important for the franchise.

It's been clear for awhile now.

And it's ironic... considering the franchise keeps taking flyers on guys who seem to need some level of accountability to reach their potential. Seems like an odd way to get there IMO.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I am glad we were able to resign this cornerstone to the culture and future success of our franchise. I mean it is okay that most fans wouldn't want him part of the community we live in at any price.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

I enjoyed this framing by Dane Moore.

3 years, $43.4M is a more accurate way to frame Malik Beasley's signing.

Similar contracts signed...
Christian Wood: 3-$41M
Jakob Poeltl: 3-$27M
Rodney Hood: 2-$21M
Jae Crowder: 3-$30M
Marcus Morris: 4-$64M
Jordan Clarkson: 4-$52M
Derrick Favors: 3-$30M
Goran Dragic: 2-$37.4M
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

The Beasley deal is fine as long as he stays tradeable. That includes his play on the floor and the direction his personal life goes. The only way this team can have a salary slot like that now is to give it to Beasley. It leaves future deals an option that would be gone for the short term if the Wolves let him walk.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

You're in luck. This isn't a good team and nothing was gonna change that this winter. If the plan is give Vanderbilt time to see if his G-League performance translates, fine. He makes $1.8 mil and is younger than Culver and Okogie. For a team that will undoubtedly suck this year, giving Vanderbilt an opportunity to develop (in what is obviously another developmental season) isn't a horror story unless there's no reason to believe he'll ever produce (and in that case he shouldn't be on the roster, even as insurance)
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

You're in luck. This isn't a good team and nothing was gonna change that this winter. If the plan is give Vanderbilt time to see if his G-League performance translates, fine. He makes $1.8 mil and is younger than Culver and Okogie. For a team that will undoubtedly suck this year, giving Vanderbilt an opportunity to develop (in what is obviously another developmental season) isn't a horror story unless there's no reason to believe he'll ever produce (and in that case he shouldn't be on the roster, even as insurance)

Gersson! How nice of you to join our board again. I'm glad you could make another appearance.