Thibs FIred

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
WildWolf2813

Re: Thibs FIred

Post by WildWolf2813 »

60WinTim wrote:I am taking this as the first player's comment on the change... ;-)

Anthony Tolliver @ATolliver44
40m40 minutes ago
"Husband's are not to rule like a dictator over their wives and children; instead, they should lead by influence and by example. They should exemplify, with their voice and their actions, attributes that bring glory to God and value to their spouse and family."

Even the Bible has spicy quotes
Monster

Post by Monster »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I've been reading anti-Thibs rhetoric on this board for months, years now. And with the possible exception of Kek and Camden, we all wanted this guy fired. Now we finally get our wish and all i read are people pissing and moaning about how it was done. Breakups in the middle of the year are never clean and easy. We can finally move forward as an organization now. I don't have confidence in Glen making the right decision either, but at least the trash is in the dumpster now. Let's goooooo!

Cool the timing is weird and we don't have any real solid reason why Thibs was fired. I think it's natural to scratch our head and try and process what led to this. I absolutely agree wit you regardless it wasn't gonna be pretty. Ultimately if Thibs lasted this long and then Glen pulled the trigger now...I'm guessing there was some valid reasoning even if we never really hear the full story. Im certainly on board with being excited for this new chapter although I have cautious optimism. Also I wasn't exactly beating the drum for Thibs to be fired either but I'm fine with it happening.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I read where CEO, Ethan Casson, was frustrated with Thibs and his impact on the business side of things. As noted... attendance sucks. Season tickets have been a struggle. And we can even take the temp of the forum here to see how much animosity was directed toward the head coach -- and its impact.

So knowing all that... it makes sense to put a good guy with a familiar name who everybody likes in charge for now. At least from the business side of things. It's a PR move.

We'll see how it translates on the court, because I think it's fair to say that none of us really know much of anything about Ryan Saunders the basketball coach and how much authority he'll have with millionaires and players older than him.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Timing wise releasing it during football Sunday was likely his plan. Just to keep the negative press down. Also the National Championship game is on monday too, there are tons of topics that drop the Thibs firing (which is negative) off the sports front page.

I'm sure the constant mediocre product and anti Thibs fan noise kept piling on ol' Glen. A change now can take a look to see how the team responds under Saunders. Also it could boost ticket sales. Really the Wolves can't look any worse coaching wise from Saunders then from Thibs. It's really a no brainer to fire Thibs now.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I've been reading anti-Thibs rhetoric on this board for months, years now. And with the possible exception of Kek and Camden, we all wanted this guy fired. Now we finally get our wish and all i read are people pissing and moaning about how it was done. Breakups in the middle of the year are never clean and easy. We can finally move forward as an organization now. I don't have confidence in Glen making the right decision either, but at least the trash is in the dumpster now. Let's goooooo!

I am fine with thibs gone. Just think it's a big uphill battle for Saunders. Also think of this just leads to Hoiberg I'll be a little upset
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

WolvesFan21 wrote:Timing wise releasing it during football Sunday was likely his plan. Just to keep the negative press down. Also the National Championship game is on monday too, there are tons of topics that drop the Thibs firing (which is negative) off the sports front page.

I'm sure the constant mediocre product and anti Thibs fan noise kept piling on ol' Glen. A change now can take a look to see how the team responds under Saunders. Also it could boost ticket sales. Really the Wolves can't look any worse coaching wise from Saunders then from Thibs. It's really a no brainer to fire Thibs now.

I don't think attendance increases as long as we don't go on a big winning streak. Just my opinion but don't think the casual fan is rushing to target center to watch an complete known in Ryan Saunders to coach
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:Timing wise releasing it during football Sunday was likely his plan. Just to keep the negative press down. Also the National Championship game is on monday too, there are tons of topics that drop the Thibs firing (which is negative) off the sports front page.

I don't think attendance increases as long as we don't go on a big winning streak. Just my opinion but don't think the casual fan is rushing to target center to watch an complete known in Ryan Saunders to coach

It is likely not a great factor but yes the Wolves could go on a roll and all of a sudden we start seeing sellouts. I think the negativity surrounding Thibs could have kept some people from wanting to go to the game. Without him, there is some new hope. Even if it's just a minor subconscious internal thought.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

It is likely not a great factor but yes the Wolves could go on a roll and all of a sudden we start seeing sellouts. I think the negativity surrounding Thibs could have kept some people from wanting to go to the game. Without him, there is some new hope. Even if it's just a minor subconscious internal thought.

A winning streak could help, but I think attendance goes up anyway. I found out about Thibs in an email last night from a Wolves' sales guy (he doesn't know I share tickets with a friend, but knew I was not a fan of Thibs). They are going to be aggressively selling packages the next few days. Also, we're rubes here in Minnesota and Flip was popular, so there will be a lot of people buying tickets upstairs just because they like Flip. The Wolves average about 5000 unsold seats each night...the closer they get to 19006 each night, the easier Glen absorbs the Thibs contract hit.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I have another theory. A few days ago some reports come out with Butler going at his coach about his role. Glen said multiple times Thibs tried to keep Butler here. If there is legitamacy to those reports (Glen could call his buddy who is the owner) man that is not a good look for Thibs and Glen might be additionally pissed (and relieved) that they made that deal sending Jimmy to the Sixers who might be having trouble already. I'm not saying it was a big deal or maybe the straw that broke the camel's back but it could have been a factor.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Anybody see any quotes from Thibs yet?