Derrick Williams Trade

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
worldK

Re: Derrick Williams Trade

Post by worldK »

Derrick williams was a disappointment as a wolf. Fans who hate adelman for whatever reasons will continue to blame him for williams being a disappointment. Ignoring the fact that williams played 20+mins/game as a rookie. 25mins/game as a sophomore and getting 56 starts.

Williams was given plenty of chances here. Adelman haters will choose to ignore those chances of course. I believe that flip saunders, who is part owner, a former successful coach himself, vice president of the team and close to the owner himeself(taylor) will not let adelmans 'dislike' of a player make him trade that guy if believes he could be something.

Thats 2 well respected coach giving up on the guy. Its sad, but it is what it is. The guy wont be a contributor to the team, we got a guy that could be useful for him on luc. Sad it came down to this but its time to close the book on the derrick williams failed stint as a wolf.
Henry Huggins [enjin:7977062]

Post by Henry Huggins [enjin:7977062] »

sjm34 wrote:
A good coach would have found a way to take advantage of DW,.

When did Adelman become a bad coach?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

From a poster on RealGM. I'm too lazy to go check the numbers right now, but one of you guys might.

I checked the numbers, this deal saves $1.95 million next season. Current contracts total 65.86 million next season, the tax is projected to start at $75.7 million (cap at $62.1 million). The Wolves will be ~ $9.84 million under the projected tax, and may need to resign Dante, Hummel and AJ Price. Two minimum salaries and Dante; ~$4 million unless Dante gets a big raise, which seems unlikely.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

The Wolves should be at least $5.5 million under the tax.

The MLE will be $5.305 million, so they will easily have room, and they won't need to keep one of the three above...

Honestly, it would make sense to let Dante walk and then go after a more useful piece at backup PG/SG. Use Turiaf, Dieng or Hummel as the backup PF or sign a vet for $2M. Dumping D-Will really helps with flexibility next sumer. Just another added benefit.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

The comment Flip made about now realizing that Derrick is a PF concerns me, because Derrick has been a PF from the moment we drafted him, from the moment Rick came here, from the moment Flip came here. They really were trying to see if he was something he wasn't. They're doing the same thing with Muhammad. They did the same thing kinda with Flynn and Wes (though their misuse was nothing compared to their lack of talent).

I think this team is borderline toxic with young players. They'd ruin even the players we all wanted if they had the chance.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

thedoper wrote:I agree. I think you have to ask what Phil Jackson or Pop would have gotten out of Dwill. Somehow I think a heck of a lot more.

This is ridiculous, both Phil and Pop chose player that fit their systems, always, not the other way around. If this were remotely true then Pop would have been trying to trade for DWill based upon all that talent that was just waiting to be coached out of him.

When DWill was drafted it was said he was a Beasley twin and that is turning out to be accurate! DWill is going to be a journeyman and will always be the type of player who adds more to a losing team than to a winning team.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

TheSP wrote:
thedoper wrote:I agree. I think you have to ask what Phil Jackson or Pop would have gotten out of Dwill. Somehow I think a heck of a lot more.

This is ridiculous, both Phil and Pop chose player that fit their systems, always, not the other way around. If this were remotely true then Pop would have been trying to trade for DWill based upon all that talent that was just waiting to be coached out of him.

When DWill was drafted it was said he was a Beasley twin and that is turning out to be accurate! DWill is going to be a journeyman and will always be the type of player who adds more to a losing team than to a winning team.

When we played SA last year Danny Green took a horrible shot and pop pulled him. Talked to him for 30 seconds then put him back on the court and he ended up torching us for 30. That right there is the difference between Adelman and Pop. Someone young takes a bad shot who is not one of Rick's guys they get pulled for the whole game. Phil created his "system" to fit Jordan's strengths, he didn't get player to play the triangle. Players roles are very fluid in the triangle and Phil absolutely would have played to Dwill's strengths. Pop is a teacher, and Phil is adaptable. Adelman is a systems genius, but not a teacher or adaptable. Very different styles of coaching. I believe Dwill would have found a role in SA or on a Phil Jackson team.

thedoper wrote:
TheSP wrote:

When we played SA last year Danny Green took a horrible shot and pop pulled him. Talked to him for 30 seconds then put him back on the court and he ended up torching us for 30. That right there is the difference between Adelman and Pop. Someone young takes a bad shot who is not one of Rick's guys they get pulled for the whole game. Phil created his "system" to fit Jordan's strengths, he didn't get player to play the triangle. Players roles are very fluid in the triangle and Phil absolutely would have played to Dwill's strengths. Pop is a teacher, and Phil is adaptable. Adelman is a systems genius, but not a teacher or adaptable. Very different styles of coaching. I believe Dwill would have found a role in SA or on a Phil Jackson team.

LMAO please don't ever compare Danny Green to Derrick Williams ever again. Green's a legitimate three-point sniper in the NBA as well as being known for his defense. He's a proven player. D-Will's a player whose label always talks about potential, yet he doesn't do any one thing above average right now. Just stop. Stop the comparison.

It's no wonder Pop left him in the game. Green doing something stupid is rare. Pop knows what he's getting from Green on a night to night basis. Can you say the same for Adelman and D-Will? No. Why? Because D-Will is no where near the same level of player that Green is.

Tim Legler's thoughts on the D-Will trade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XvEwHUf3LZQ
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Henry Huggins wrote:
sjm34 wrote:
A good coach would have found a way to take advantage of DW,.

When did Adelman become a bad coach?

Yeah! And when did good coaches become rapists?
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Camden wrote:Tim Legler's thoughts on the D-Will trade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XvEwHUf3LZQ

Wow, Legler's being really nice to DWill there. I guess his perceived value was a little higher than it was by us. He was definitely not good in transition, and not strong at all (although you couldn't tell because he never really tried to box anybody out for a rebound, just outjump them).

I think we definitely got the better end of this deal.