Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by bleedspeed »

Jester1534 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Welcome back Jester, sounds like you made the right move. I would be interesting in hearing what it's liek being a scout.

I'm not as much of a baseball guy, but I have paid attention to this team more so than in the recent past (yes, I'm a fair weather fan). It's nice to have a Minnesota team not named the Lynx have some success. But it seems precarious.....not sure these guys are this good on paper.

A lot of run down high school fields and subway is your best friend lol it was fun but you literally have to stay at a motel every night and go on at least 4 hour car ride to get to the next place

The road gets old quickly. I did a lot of consulting in the past. It was great when I had longterm gigs in direct flight towns, but when you start talking about connections and car rides it gets old very quickly.

Welcome back and best of luck with the new gig and family.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Thought I post some positive news since today was a game we should've won. Nick Gordon has been doing it up so far in double AA. Through his first 36 games a Gordon He's slashing a robust .322/.383/.507. After 26 errors at SS last year he's on pace for only 15 errors this season at a higher level. The Twins will have to make a decision on this kid I think sooner than later. He might be the type of top 50 talent that can land us a pitcher at the trade deadline or he could be the man who replaces Dozier or Polanco in the future. Either way it's a good problem to have.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Also with Vargas going down today who do you think should get called up? Park has been horrible since coming back from injury. My Pick would be Palka his last 15 games he's batting .321 with OPS of .907
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Jester - Curious what you see are the top 2 needs for this team and if we have anyone in the minors that might be able to help within the next year? Or if you think we need to trade some minor league assets for them and who you would target.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Jester - Curious what you see are the top 2 needs for this team and if we have anyone in the minors that might be able to help within the next year? Or if you think we need to trade some minor league assets for them and who you would target.

Top two needs are #1 bullpen help and they do have some guys that can help I remember talking to Terry Ryan at Twinsfest and he Said Mason Melotakis was the most talented arm they had in there system, unfortunately he missed 2015 to arm injury but this year he's putting up shutdown numbers in double AA.

There's also guys like Chargois and Jake Reed that throw pretty hard that could help out. It's unfortunates Burdi got hurt because I'm pretty sure he was about to be fast track to the big leagues. Also It sounds like Perkins is going to start throwing to live batters but who knows what we can get out of him.

#2 is a Third starter to go along with our big 2. We just don't have anyone ready in our minors. Stephen Gonsalves, Fernando Romero, and Felix Jorge Are top options but there all at least a year or two away from the bigs. I think we will have to trade for starter let's just hope we can get through June and July with our staff.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:Also with Vargas going down today who do you think should get called up? Park has been horrible since coming back from injury. My Pick would be Palka his last 15 games he's batting .321 with OPS of .907

They might bring a bat up at some point but after all the pitchers they have had to use the last 2 games it makes sense to bring up 2 pitchers for at least a couple days.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:Also with Vargas going down today who do you think should get called up? Park has been horrible since coming back from injury. My Pick would be Palka his last 15 games he's batting .321 with OPS of .907

They might bring a bat up at some point but after all the pitchers they have had to use the last 2 games it makes sense to bring up 2 pitchers for at least a couple days.

I should've said after the Houston series who should they bring up? Because I'm not a Vargas fan, he can't hit a big league CurveBall and I don't think it will ever will be able to.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

I should've said after the Houston series who should they bring up? Because I'm not a Vargas fan, he can't hit a big league CurveBall and I don't think it will ever will be able to.

They got some nice production out of him for part of the stretch he was up at least. I just looked at his left vs Right splits and he really hit well against righthanded pitchinng and did next to nothing against left handed pitching. Any thoughts?
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

They got some nice production out of him for part of the stretch he was up at least. I just looked at his left vs Right splits and he really hit well against righthanded pitchinng and did next to nothing against left handed pitching. Any thoughts?

Well I know on the telecast the other day Morris said that Twins haven't seen a lefty in like Two weeks but looking at Vargas splits from last he bated like .170 against lefties last year in 107 ABs maybe he should give up the switch hitting cause you can't get much worse.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jason Wheeler and Drew Rucinski are the latest pitchers on the Shuttle from AAA. Do either of these guys have any chance to be more than fillers till they get sent down?