Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
WildWolf2813

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I think Herro or Keldon Johnson simply because they're Kentucky prospects should be looked at closely.

What sucks about drafting a wing that isn't a PG is that the minutes simply won't be there as long as Wiggins and Okogie are here.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

WildWolf2813 wrote:I think Herro or Keldon Johnson simply because they're Kentucky prospects should be looked at closely.

What sucks about drafting a wing that isn't a PG is that the minutes simply won't be there as long as Wiggins and Okogie are here.

Wiggins and okogie aren't good enough to not draft a wing because of them. If our draft pick is good they'll find minutes
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:I think Herro or Keldon Johnson simply because they're Kentucky prospects should be looked at closely.

Wiggins and okogie aren't good enough to not draft a wing because of them. If our draft pick is good they'll find minutes

I agree with that, but if Okogie can't find any rotational minutes on this roster next year, that's another squandered pick.

If Wiggins can't find minutes on this team, then this team failed at trying to get something out of him. They'd be better off creating that room by getting rid of one of them sooner than later.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

The news we all wanted is here.

https://www.skornorth.com/gophers-2/2019/05/report-amir-coffey-will-stay-in-nba-draft-skip-senior-season/

Seriously though. I don't get it. He could have comeback and built a semi-legacy with Gophers. Instead, he will
likely not get drafted.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

I agree with that, but if Okogie can't find any rotational minutes on this roster next year, that's another squandered pick.

If Wiggins can't find minutes on this team, then this team failed at trying to get something out of him. They'd be better off creating that room by getting rid of one of them sooner than later.

If it were up to me, I'd trade Wiggins and start RoCo and Okogie. This organization has to start developing players with high upside and, in my view that starts with Okogie. Developing a player like Okogie (or KI think the Wolves have to draft the best player available. This team simply isn't at a point where it can draft primarily for specific positional need. This teams needs talent and, as I've written before, the Wolves need to emphasize upside in an effort to land a future all-star caliber player to combine with KAT for a championship contending core.

Having said that, if there are multiple alternatives with roughly equal talent/upside available at #11, then the Wolves should prioritize a PG or defensive big over another wing.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:The news we all wanted is here.

https://www.skornorth.com/gophers-2/2019/05/report-amir-coffey-will-stay-in-nba-draft-skip-senior-season/

Seriously though. I don't get it. He could have comeback and built a semi-legacy with Gophers. Instead, he will
likely not get drafted.

To get drafted in the first round next year he would have to be absolutely terrific. If he doesn't get drafted he has options. He is probably looking at a 2-way contract which means playing at a pro level and getting paid some semi-decent money. He could play in Europe and get some decent money or just play in the g-league which doesn't pay much but offers legit opportunity. Look at a guy like Cam Reynolds. If Amir doesn't get drafted he could even go back to school if he wanted to (assuming the Gophers would want him back but that's obvious) but I doubt that is going to happen. The G-league as a legit developmental league is one factor making it even more palatable to leave.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

bleedspeed177 wrote:The news we all wanted is here.

likely not get drafted.

There are rumors that him and Pitino don't get along that well. I'm a gopher fan and it's disappointing but good for Coffey. Some players don't want to play college ball and get a college education. He has a solid chance at a 2-way contract or a long career overseas. If he wants to get to paid for doing something he loves I don't blame him eventhough it's a huge loss for the gophers
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

If those rumors are true it makes sense. I felt like him staying at the U might have been more valuable to him 10 years from now then what he will make playing G-League or Europe.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:If those rumors are true it makes sense. I felt like him staying at the U might have been more valuable to him 10 years from now then what he will make playing G-League or Europe.

What's the compound interest though on what he would make this coming season in 10 years? Q? :)

On the rumors he didn't get along with Pitino...I know his dad seemed a plenty cranky one time on Wolfson's podcast when Wolfson asked something specific about the team.

Ultimately if Coffey even gets a 2-way deal and he does something in the league that actually may help the school in terms of recruiting...at least maybe a little. Also it's worth remembering this year is not supposed to be a strong draft so a bunch of guys are coming out now and next year is supposed to be deeper. So this year you may have a chance to get a talented guy in your system if you can develop them. That could even be just as an affiliate player like Amile Jefferson was.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I am not sure how much of a benefit it is to be drafted in the 2nd round. I was thinking if stuck around another year he might have built a better brand at the U and had a chance to come back after he is done playing. Long shot, but stuff like that can certainly benefit people.