Derrick Williams Trade

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Derrick Williams Trade

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:Tim Legler's thoughts on the D-Will trade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XvEwHUf3LZQ

Interesting take from Tim Legler. I have a lot of respect for Tim as an analyst. But I was surprised to hear him say that Williams will bring "physical toughness" to the Kings. I didn't see any sign of physical toughness from him while he was here. But I do fear that Williams will explode and become the player we thought and hoped he'd be when we drafted him. That would be a a big black mark on Adelman and Flip.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:Tim Legler's thoughts on the D-Will trade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XvEwHUf3LZQ

Interesting take from Tim Legler. I have a lot of respect for Tim as an analyst. But I was surprised to hear him say that Williams will bring "physical toughness" to the Kings. I didn't see any sign of physical toughness from him while he was here. But I do fear that Williams will explode and become the player we thought and hoped he'd be when we drafted him. That would be a a big black mark on Adelman and Flip.

Think he's just saying that because of his physical build. All it takes is watching one stretch of D-Will basketball to see that Legler's toughness statement wasn't true. Doesn't box guys out hard. Doesn't body up his defender pre-pass or in the post. Tries to avoid contact too much on drives to the rim. He's got the body to be tough, but I never felt he actually was for the Wolves.

I'm too hoping he doesn't become a huge deal for SAC. We'd never hear the end of it from that dickhead Bill Simmons.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

If D-Will does well in Sac, Flip and Adelman will be called out for evaluating and using talent poorly.

If the Wolves prove to be a good team this year, then that criticism will prove irrelevant IHMO.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Think he's just saying that because of his physical build. All it takes is watching one stretch of D-Will basketball to see that Legler's toughness statement wasn't true. Doesn't box guys out hard. Doesn't body up his defender pre-pass or in the post. Tries to avoid contact too much on drives to the rim. He's got the body to be tough, but I never felt he actually was for the Wolves.

I'm too hoping he doesn't become a huge deal for SAC. We'd never hear the end of it from that dickhead Bill Simmons.

To be fair, Simmons is more anti-Kahn than anti-Wolves.

Williams doing well in Sacramento would only garner praise for Kahn. And Simmons won't want to do that.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Legler said we got the better end of the deal. I think he was just trying to give SAC a little confidence by pumping up Williams. Somebody made the accurate Luc/Kidd-Gilchrist comparison earlier, so for those that are still concerned about giving up a 2nd pick for a 2nd rounder, then consider Luc your MKG.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I'm not looking at this from a Mbah a Moute vs. Derrick Williams angle. Kevin Ollie might offer more value for this Wolves team than Derrick Williams right now.

I think Mbah a Moute will help. But could the Wolves have found somebody else to help more this season... and next?
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

I like it and I don't like it. We are a better team then we were before so thats the plus. I get the feeling that we might of jumped the gun a bit. I think we could of afforded to wait a little bit longer to make a bigger deal. With rose out could you of got deng for dwill brewer and a couple first round picks? It doesn't look like deng will be back with the bulls and need to get something for him. Deng could of put the wolves over the top being the defender brewer is but also a go to scorer that this team needs
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden wrote:
thedoper wrote:
TheSP wrote:
thedoper wrote:I agree. I think you have to ask what Phil Jackson or Pop would have gotten out of Dwill. Somehow I think a heck of a lot more.

This is ridiculous, both Phil and Pop chose player that fit their systems, always, not the other way around. If this were remotely true then Pop would have been trying to trade for DWill based upon all that talent that was just waiting to be coached out of him.

When DWill was drafted it was said he was a Beasley twin and that is turning out to be accurate! DWill is going to be a journeyman and will always be the type of player who adds more to a losing team than to a winning team.

When we played SA last year Danny Green took a horrible shot and pop pulled him. Talked to him for 30 seconds then put him back on the court and he ended up torching us for 30. That right there is the difference between Adelman and Pop. Someone young takes a bad shot who is not one of Rick's guys they get pulled for the whole game. Phil created his "system" to fit Jordan's strengths, he didn't get player to play the triangle. Players roles are very fluid in the triangle and Phil absolutely would have played to Dwill's strengths. Pop is a teacher, and Phil is adaptable. Adelman is a systems genius, but not a teacher or adaptable. Very different styles of coaching. I believe Dwill would have found a role in SA or on a Phil Jackson team.

LMAO please don't ever compare Danny Green to Derrick Williams ever again. Green's a legitimate three-point sniper in the NBA as well as being known for his defense. He's a proven player. D-Will's a player whose label always talks about potential, yet he doesn't do any one thing above average right now. Just stop. Stop the comparison.

It's no wonder Pop left him in the game. Green doing something stupid is rare. Pop knows what he's getting from Green on a night to night basis. Can you say the same for Adelman and D-Will? No. Why? Because D-Will is no where near the same level of player that Green is.

Danny Green became that player under Pop because Pop is a teacher. That is my point. Danny Green was an oft injured borderline Dleague guy before he came to San Antonio who was waived by the post-Lebron Cavs (the Cavs!!!). He was not a 3pt sniper when he arrived in San Antonio. Pop knows what he is getting out of Green because he molded him that way. I am not saying Dwill is Danny Green. I am saying Pop makes his guys better despite their mistakes. You think any other team would have made Manu and Parker potential HOF players. Good coaches win, great coaches teach while doing it. Adelman is good but not great in my mind. What can't be argued is that Adelman was unable to reach Dwill and utilize his talent. To blame that 100% on Derrick is passing the buck as a coach in my mind.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Williams will never be a star player.
Williams will never be good in a system not built around Williams.
Williams will put up numbers in Sac only because they're a bad team and need scoring wherever they can find it.
Williams will be inefficient in putting up decent numbers on a bad Sac team.
Williams will never be a player that a winning team looks to add to their roster to put them over the top.
Williams motor is terrible, and that isn't going to change at his age.
Williams will always be a defensive liability.
Williams gave the Wolves less in his time here than Wes did in his. Less production, less hope.

Williams issues aren't the type where a player can just suddenly get it and become a productive player. He started playing late in life and got by at the lower levels based upon superior athleticism alone. He will not suddenly develop the natural BB instincts of a more experienced player, it will take him time and require effort on his part, thus no matter how you slice it, Williams was never going to be the right player at this transitional time for the Wolves.

I hope he puts it all together eventually as he seems like a good kid. But if he does, that will not change the fact that he had nothing of value to offer a team desperate for value right now! So no Lip, it would not be a black mark for Flip or Adelman if he eventually develops as this team isn't in position to wait. It is similar to the Vikings current situation, they have probably the best RB to ever play the game, and waiting on Ponder to develop is foolhardy, by the time he does, if he does, they will have wasted Peterson. The Wolves can sit on Williams in the hope he will someday contribute, but by then the current core will be broken up, the time is now, as sad as that is.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Yeah, let's squash the hand-wringing over trading away DWill before it starts. I would actually be surprised if DWill DOESN'T put up a couple 20 point games in Sactown. He's motivated, his teammates will want to see what he can do and so will his coaches. Can he score? Sure. But inefficiently, and he hurts you in a lot of other ways, and basically doesn't help you in any other way than that. Good luck to him, and maybe he even will start to figure it out a little more. That still won't make this a bad deal for us. He didn't develop into a decent player here, and at the end of the day, that's largely his own fault.