2018 NFL Draft

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: 2018 NFL Draft

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I would have liked to have signed or drafted Phillip Lindsay.

Overview
Lindsay's lack of desired size may limit his draft stock somewhat, but his versatility as a running back, pass catcher and special teams contributor should work in his favor. Lindsay plays with unbridled passion that is infectious on the field. Lindsay has the ability to handle inside running duties and blitz protection despite his size. His football character and field demeanor give him a good chance of becoming a solid backup in the league.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/2018/4/29/17297844/5-reasons-denver-broncos-signed-phillip-lindsay
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/phillip-lindsay?id=32462018-0002-5599-47ab-7523bcaf1321
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Here is my quick breakdown.
Round 1: Mike Hughes-CB: I like Josh Jackson better would have went him or Dallas Goedert
Round 2: Brian O'Neill-OT: I am fine with pick. I felt Geron Christian was a better option.
Round 4: Jalyn Holmes-DE: Hate this pick. Not a fan. I liked John Franklin-Myers better and was thinking he was a 6th rounder and mocks had him not being drafted (went in 4th) The following on the board Wyatt Teller-OG, Troy Fumagalli-TE, Maurice Hurst-DT, Shaquem Griffin-LB and Dalton Schultz-TE. I go Shaquem Griffin because all my other LBs are off the board
Round 5: Tyler Conklin-TE: Troy Fumagalli went the pick before him. Dalton Schultz went end of 4th. I would have already picked Dallas so I would go Wyatt Teller-OG.
Round 5.2: Daniel Caston-K: I am okay with the pick, but like Parry Nickerson-CB of Tulane as my guy. Went to Jets.
Round 6: Colby Gossett-OG: Love this pick. Did well at Senior Bowl.
Round 6.2: Ade Aruna-DE: Seems like a solid upside pick Why can't we draft DB's like this?
Round 7: Devante Downs-LB: Great pick, but might not be back from knee injury to help in 2018.

The reason Josh Jackson wasn't going to be the pick is because Zimmer runs primarily man-to-man and while Mike Hughes excels in press coverage man-to-man, Josh Jackson has been strickly a zone corner, and there were serious questions about whether he would be able to succeed in a man defense.

Brian O'Neill will be an excellent replacement for Jerrick McKinnon ;) Seriously though, who knows with him.

Holmes: I can't say I knew a lot about him, outside of that he played DE on base downs in college. Supposedly that was more out of position. I think they've got him tagged/hoping he can replace Sheldon Richardson in a year.

Conklin: I've heard Chavous say some good things, and he seems to fit the basketball player type at the position, but it's a 5th round TE, I have tempered expectations.

Our new kicker: Apparently has a 65 yard leg and great hangtime (4.2 seconds) on kickoffs. Chavous compared him to Hauschka. If he turned into that, then it'd be great.

Gossett: I hear good things, and the Senior Bowl tape looks good

Round 6.2/7: who knows
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Can somebody with insider post kipers grades/analysis?
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

mrhockey89 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Here is my quick breakdown.
Round 1: Mike Hughes-CB: I like Josh Jackson better would have went him or Dallas Goedert
Round 2: Brian O'Neill-OT: I am fine with pick. I felt Geron Christian was a better option.
Round 4: Jalyn Holmes-DE: Hate this pick. Not a fan. I liked John Franklin-Myers better and was thinking he was a 6th rounder and mocks had him not being drafted (went in 4th) The following on the board Wyatt Teller-OG, Troy Fumagalli-TE, Maurice Hurst-DT, Shaquem Griffin-LB and Dalton Schultz-TE. I go Shaquem Griffin because all my other LBs are off the board
Round 5: Tyler Conklin-TE: Troy Fumagalli went the pick before him. Dalton Schultz went end of 4th. I would have already picked Dallas so I would go Wyatt Teller-OG.
Round 5.2: Daniel Caston-K: I am okay with the pick, but like Parry Nickerson-CB of Tulane as my guy. Went to Jets.
Round 6: Colby Gossett-OG: Love this pick. Did well at Senior Bowl.
Round 6.2: Ade Aruna-DE: Seems like a solid upside pick Why can't we draft DB's like this?
Round 7: Devante Downs-LB: Great pick, but might not be back from knee injury to help in 2018.

The reason Josh Jackson wasn't going to be the pick is because Zimmer runs primarily man-to-man and while Mike Hughes excels in press coverage man-to-man, Josh Jackson has been strickly a zone corner, and there were serious questions about whether he would be able to succeed in a man defense.

Brian O'Neill will be an excellent replacement for Jerrick McKinnon ;) Seriously though, who knows with him.

Holmes: I can't say I knew a lot about him, outside of that he played DE on base downs in college. Supposedly that was more out of position. I think they've got him tagged/hoping he can replace Sheldon Richardson in a year.

Conklin: I've heard Chavous say some good things, and he seems to fit the basketball player type at the position, but it's a 5th round TE, I have tempered expectations.

Our new kicker: Apparently has a 65 yard leg and great hangtime (4.2 seconds) on kickoffs. Chavous compared him to Hauschka. If he turned into that, then it'd be great.

Gossett: I hear good things, and the Senior Bowl tape looks good

Round 6.2/7: who knows

Great point about Josh Jackson. I heard he struggled in CB drills at the combine and has the size to play safety. Desmond King transitioned, but not sure what scheme the Chargers play.
Monster

Post by Monster »

BizarroJerry wrote:Can somebody with insider post kipers grades/analysis?

Kiper

Vikings grade B

Top needs: Guard/tackle, defensive end, cornerback

The Minnesota offseason is obviously all about Kirk Cousins and making a Super Bowl run in 2018. This team is built to win now, and it has one of the NFL's best rosters from top to bottom. Don't forget about the addition of Sheldon Richardson to the defensive line. He's a game-wrecker when he's right. So GM Rick Spielman went with needs for the Vikings' first three picks, and all three could fill a role as rookies.

We know Mike Zimmer loves defensive backs, and he believes in drafting and developing them to be his guys. Spielman got his coach another talented corner to mold in Mike Hughes (pick 30), who is only 5-10 but was a ball hawk in his lone season at UCF. He had four interceptions and three touchdowns in the return game. The end of Round 1 was right where I expected him to go. Brian O'Neill (62) is a great athlete who is built like a tight end. He could play right tackle with Mike Remmers moving inside to guard. Jalyn Holmes (102) was a rotational player on one of the best defensive lines in the country at Ohio State. I would have liked to have seen better production.

Tight end Tyler Conklin (157), a former basketball player, could contribute. Defensive end Ade Aruna had a down season, but if he gets back to his 2016 form, he could be a steal.

This is a solid, if unspectacular, haul for Minnesota, and it gets better if Hughes can be special as a kick and punt returner.

McShay team's best pick.

Minnesota Vikings

Mike Hughes, CB, UCF (No. 30)

I know Hughes comes with character issues, but I think he's the second-best cover corner in this class. There were offensive guards the Vikings could've taken at No. 30 -- and that's probably their biggest need -- but GM Rick Spielman continues to take the best player available, and it has worked well for this team. In Mike Zimmer's system, you can never have too many corners. This pick gives Minnesota some insurance if it doesn't want to give a big extension to Trae Waynes after this season.

By moving back from pick 94 to 102, the Vikings also got a good developmental upside player in Jalyn Holmes and another sixth-round pick that they used to move back up into the fifth round and take the best kicker in the draft (Daniel Carlson). I really love this move, especially with how much heartbreak Minnesota fans have had from the kicking game. Carlson is clutch.

monsterpile wrote:

Kiper

Vikings grade B

The Minnesota offseason is obviously all about Kirk Cousins and making a Super Bowl run in 2018. This team is built to win now, and it has one of the NFL's best rosters from top to bottom. Don't forget about the addition of Sheldon Richardson to the defensive line. He's a game-wrecker when he's right. So GM Rick Spielman went with needs for the Vikings' first three picks, and all three could fill a role as rookies.

We know Mike Zimmer loves defensive backs, and he believes in drafting and developing them to be his guys. Spielman got his coach another talented corner to mold in Mike Hughes (pick 30), who is only 5-10 but was a ball hawk in his lone season at UCF. He had four interceptions and three touchdowns in the return game. The end of Round 1 was right where I expected him to go. Brian O'Neill (62) is a great athlete who is built like a tight end. He could play right tackle with Mike Remmers moving inside to guard. Jalyn Holmes (102) was a rotational player on one of the best defensive lines in the country at Ohio State. I would have liked to have seen better production.

Tight end Tyler Conklin (157), a former basketball player, could contribute. Defensive end Ade Aruna had a down season, but if he gets back to his 2016 form, he could be a steal.

This is a solid, if unspectacular, haul for Minnesota, and it gets better if Hughes can be special as a kick and punt returner.

McShay team's best pick.

Minnesota Vikings

I know Hughes comes with character issues, but I think he's the second-best cover corner in this class. There were offensive guards the Vikings could've taken at No. 30 -- and that's probably their biggest need -- but GM Rick Spielman continues to take the best player available, and it has worked well for this team. In Mike Zimmer's system, you can never have too many corners. This pick gives Minnesota some insurance if it doesn't want to give a big extension to Trae Waynes after this season.

By moving back from pick 94 to 102, the Vikings also got a good developmental upside player in Jalyn Holmes and another sixth-round pick that they used to move back up into the fifth round and take the best kicker in the draft (Daniel Carlson). I really love this move, especially with how much heartbreak Minnesota fans have had from the kicking game. Carlson is clutch.

Thanks Monster.
Monster

Post by Monster »

BizarroJerry wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Kiper

Vikings grade B

McShay team's best pick.

Minnesota Vikings

Thanks Monster.

No problem. If anyone wants to have ESPN insider the cheap way to do it is get a cheap or free subscription to ESPN the magazine and then enter in your subscription number and then you have it. I used some frequent flyer miles to order a bunch of magazines that's how I got my subscription. I wanted mostly for the NBA draft coverage. So far it's been underwhelming compared to what they had when it was draft express. Maybe it will be better in a few weeks when things start to ramp up for the draft.

monsterpile wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Kiper

Vikings grade B

McShay team's best pick.

Minnesota Vikings

Thanks Monster.

No problem. If anyone wants to have ESPN insider the cheap way to do it is get a cheap or free subscription to ESPN the magazine and then enter in your subscription number and then you have it. I used some frequent flyer miles to order a bunch of magazines that's how I got my subscription. I wanted mostly for the NBA draft coverage. So far it's been underwhelming compared to what they had when it was draft express. Maybe it will be better in a few weeks when things start to ramp up for the draft.

Good tip. I think we did very well in the late rounds. Kiper and McShay both loved the Carlson pick. And the next 2 guys were Mel's best available picks.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

I found 4 years of ESPN Insider (this was like 6 years ago) for $4.80 (or was it $3.60?) on one of those mag sites and signed up. I assume they had to meet a quota of subscriptions sold to their advertisers.
Monster

Post by Monster »

mrhockey89 wrote:I found 4 years of ESPN Insider (this was like 6 years ago) for $4.80 (or was it $3.60?) on one of those mag sites and signed up. I assume they had to meet a quota of subscriptions sold to their advertisers.

Yeah that's what I think also. I ordered a bunch of various magazines which my wife thought I was crazy but a few have been pretty good and when I am done with them I donate them to the thrift store.