Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by bleedspeed »

Great signing. This front office has done a good job of getting value free agents.

I think Bumgarners stock is down at the moment.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

So long Castro

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins/passan-twins-to-sign-catcher-alex-avila-r8702
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:So long Castro

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins/passan-twins-to-sign-catcher-alex-avila-r8702

I'm going to miss our talks about Jason Castro if he's a good catcher or not lol. As for the signing I like it he's the perect back up for this team. I do wonder what does this mean for the turtle and if he may be included in a trade?
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:

I'm going to miss our talks about Jason Castro if he's a good catcher or not lol. As for the signing I like it he's the perect back up for this team. I do wonder what does this mean for the turtle and if he may be included in a trade?

To me the reality of Astudillo is he isn't really proven yet. If Garver went down they don't exactly have a strong option and adding a solid backup vet guy like Avila makes a ton of sense. Astudillo is a guy you can play all over the place so it's not like Catcher or DH or even 1B you can play him at 3b too. Meanwhile you could play Garver a little more at 1b. People want the Twins to be or stay in contention and you sign a vet catcher not rely on Astudillo if that's the goal. Avila turns 33 in January so he ain't young but ain't old either. I'd guess Castro gets close to double both in terms of money and contract years what we gave Avila.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Jester1534 wrote:

Anyone know how many at-bats Castro got in the playoffs?

I was kind of surprised that turtle stuck to the 40 man roster. I like the signing and will be curious what Castro signs for.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

I was kind of surprised that turtle stuck to the 40 man roster. I like the signing and will be curious what Castro signs for.

Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I realize that I'm being an impatient fan. I know this. I also expect Josh Donaldson to remain unsigned until Anthony Rendon signs his contract. The same is likely true for Madison Bumgarner, however, he could move quickly like Zack Wheeler did.

Anyways, I just find it funny that the Twins front office likely made their bargain signings a priority. I actually like both moves -- bringing Michael Pineda back and then getting Alex Avila. I just want the hammer to fall already. Minnesota cannot strike out on getting Bumgarner. And then even after they get him, they should still be looking for another impact arm. We also have uncertainty at the corner infield positions.

This team is so close to being World Series bound that fans can taste it. But they're also so far away in the same regard. They have to be aggressive this winter and even more aggressive at the trade deadline. Use that money and some prospects and round out this roster.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

That's the same number of ABs Avila had last year in the playoffs! He has played in 35 playoff games including a couple WS games. He also has experience playing 1b and has pitched a few times too!!!
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:I realize that I'm being an impatient fan. I know this. I also expect Josh Donaldson to remain unsigned until Anthony Rendon signs his contract. The same is likely true for Madison Bumgarner, however, he could move quickly like Zack Wheeler did.

Anyways, I just find it funny that the Twins front office likely made their bargain signings a priority. I actually like both moves -- bringing Michael Pineda back and then getting Alex Avila. I just want the hammer to fall already. Minnesota cannot strike out on getting Bumgarner. And then even after they get him, they should still be looking for another impact arm. We also have uncertainty at the corner infield positions.

This team is so close to being World Series bound that fans can taste it. But they're also so far away in the same regard. They have to be aggressive this winter and even more aggressive at the trade deadline. Use that money and some prospects and round out this roster.

Can't agree with you more. The floor has been set and this is it. If this is the last acqustion they have this offseason then its a failure of an offseason.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

monsterpile wrote:

That's the same number of ABs Avila had last year in the playoffs! He has played in 35 playoff games including a couple WS games. He also has experience playing 1b and has pitched a few times too!!!

I like the signing. I think your take on Turtle being your backup catcher is spot on. I would love to see him make the roster and still get a game a week catching. Marwin González and Turtle are great super subs.

Can you keep Turtle after giving money to Ehire Adrianza?

Don't teams get to carry an extra guy next year?