Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: Wolves Free Agent & Trade Thread

Post by KG4Ever »

kekgeek1 wrote:The Minnesota Timberwolves tendered a Two-Way qualifying offer to Nathan Knight to make him a restricted free on July 1, a league source tells @spotrac.

Nate knight might be back

Do the Wolves get two Two-Way contracts? I assumed Josh Minott would get one of those deals, in addition to Knight, and that would put the roster at 14. So the Wolves, barring any trades, can only sign one free agent unless they cut someone to open up another spot.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:The Minnesota Timberwolves tendered a Two-Way qualifying offer to Nathan Knight to make him a restricted free on July 1, a league source tells @spotrac.

This is mostly surprising to me since they are apparently letting Wright go. The reality is that Knight was actually a contributor last season and Wright was just doing his thing in Iowa. It seems like the wolves are not looking to lack size this coming season.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

KG4Ever wrote:

Do the Wolves get two Two-Way contracts? I assumed Josh Minott would get one of those deals, in addition to Knight, and that would put the roster at 14. So the Wolves, barring any trades, can only sign one free agent unless they cut someone to open up another spot.

Each team gets 2 two way contracts. If knight and Minott both get 2 way contracts wolves have 1 roster spot. If knight gets a legit nba contract and the wolves match the wolves all have 0 roster spots.

This can mean multiple things. Knight will get a 2 way contract, they did this for FA insurance if they strike out on everyone. Or a trade is upcoming and the wolves want Knight back to help fill out the roster after a trade.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:

Each team gets 2 two way contracts. If knight and Minott both get 2 way contracts wolves have 1 roster spot. If knight gets a legit nba contract and the wolves match the wolves all have 0 roster spots.

This can mean multiple things. Knight will get a 2 way contract, they did this for FA insurance if they strike out on everyone. Or a trade is upcoming and the wolves want Knight back to help fill out the roster after a trade.

Interesting take, kek. I think it's more likely the FA insurance policy you suggested. If the Wolves don't land a big they want in free agency, they'll at least have Knight locked up in a two-way. If he gets an offer from another team, the Wolves will only match if they can't sign a better free agent big. On the other hand, it could be connected to an upcoming trade as you suggested. If they have a trade for Gobert in the works with Naz and Vanderbilt leaving in the deal, Knight would provide important inexpensive depth.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Something along the lines of DLo and Naz for Brogdon and Myles works. The hesitancy on the Wolves side would be the injury history on those guys. And it would also depend on the Pacers' desire to get out from under those contracts, creating mega cap room next offseason.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote:Something along the lines of DLo and Naz for Brogdon and Myles works. The hesitancy on the Wolves side would be the injury history on those guys. And it would also depend on the Pacers' desire to get out from under those contracts, creating mega cap room next offseason.

That would be doable under the CBA. But I don't think I'd do it if I were Connelly. I don't see Brogdon as an upgrade over DLO. Myles would certainly be a big upgrade over Naz - if he's healthy. But of course, counting on Myles Turner to be healthy enough to play most of the season is like expecting to win a three-team parley in Vegas. I think I'd rather run with DLO and use the Wolves MLE to add a free agent big like Jalen Smith. And if DLO walks next summer, the Wolves will save $30 million in payroll and potentially have a lot of cap space to sign an impact free agent next year.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

It's been frequently reported that Hartenstein really likes LA and wants to stay with the Clippers. But since the Clippers are using their MLE to sign Wall, they won't be able to offer much money to retain Hartenstein. So the speculation is that he'll end up elsewhere. Here's the latest report on Hartenstein:

Jake Fischer: Sounds like Isaiah Hartenstein has another suitor: the New York Knicks. No guest, just taking your questions on @getcallin at 4pmET, to help set the table one last time before the free agency horn blares. Make sure to create an account and tune in: callin.com/link/EaFCnvABtD - via Twitter JakeLFischer

Apparently, the Bulls are among the teams interested in Hartenstein. I haven't seen any reports that the Wolves are interested in him, although that doesn't mean they're not. But here's some interesting information about Hartenstein from an article I saw yesterday:

Los Angeles was 12.3 points per 100 possessions better with him on the floor than with him on the bench, good for the 96th percentile. Defensively, the Clippers' opponents registered a 3.7% worse eFG% (93rd percentile) with Hartenstein on the floor, but they also had a 1.9% higher OREB rate (24th percentile).

For reference, Naz Reid ranked in the 23rd percentile in impact on opponent OREB rate (+2.0%) when he was on the floor. So, while Hartenstein is a markedly better defender at 7-foot-1 than Reid, he isn't much better on the glass, which is a central reason for the Wolves' interest in finding a replacement for Reid.

The Wolves biggest need is to shore up their League-worst defensive rebounding. Yet, it appears that Hartenstein wouldn't help in that area any more than Naz Reid. As one of the original Hartenstein boosters, it gives me pause and strengthens my already existing preference for Jalen Smith. Of course, I have yet to check out Jalen's OREB rate. :)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Keith Smith: Juancho Hernangomez's contract will become fully guaranteed at $7.3M if he's not waived by the Utah Jazz today. - via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

If the Jazz waive him, I just hope Connelly is ready to swoop in and grab him before Rosas does. :)
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

lipoli390 wrote:Keith Smith: Juancho Hernangomez's contract will become fully guaranteed at $7.3M if he's not waived by the Utah Jazz today. - via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

If the Jazz waive him, I just hope Connelly is ready to swoop in and grab him before Rosas does. :)

One of the beauties of Rosas signing Juancho to that contract is he has a ton of value today for a team looking to get rid of cap space. The Jazz could potentially trade him today for something in return, and the receiving team would immediately waive him.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Keith Smith: Juancho Hernangomez's contract will become fully guaranteed at $7.3M if he's not waived by the Utah Jazz today. - via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

One of the beauties of Rosas signing Juancho to that contract is he has a ton of value today for a team looking to get rid of cap space. The Jazz could potentially trade him today for something in return, and the receiving team would immediately waive him.

Good point. Of course the Jazz are desperate to get out of the luxury tax zone. So I have no doubt they'll waive Juancho.