Thibs FIred

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: Thibs FIred

Post by 60WinTim »

kekgeek1 wrote:"We were stunned... hit us all with a curveball." - Karl-Anthony Towns

It is all a matter of context. That would make the change sound bad, but when you follow it up with this it doesn't sound bad:

"I think Ryan is going to implement more of the new-school NBA." -- KAT
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

60WinTim wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:"We were stunned... hit us all with a curveball." - Karl-Anthony Towns

It is all a matter of context. That would make the change sound bad, but when you follow it up with this it doesn't sound bad:

"I think Ryan is going to implement more of the new-school NBA." -- KAT

Fair hadn't seen that quote
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

One thing that sticks out to me is that Glen didn't do the firing. I would of thought a phone call to Thibs in the least.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

sjm34 wrote:One thing that sticks out to me is that Glen didn't do the firing. I would of thought a phone call to Thibs in the least.

Same guy who fired Mitchell over text
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

kekgeek1 wrote:
sjm34 wrote:One thing that sticks out to me is that Glen didn't do the firing. I would of thought a phone call to Thibs in the least.

Same guy who ripped Kevin Garnett on the way out for "tanking"... after being cool with Mark Madsen taking 7 three pointers in the 4th quarter and OT of game #82... just so the Wolves got an extra ping pong ball... which ended up getting a higher draft pick... which was then traded for cash.

Ahem.
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:

I saw some people tweeting this. I looked it up multiple reports including Sam himself said Glen called him. It was bad enough the way he was let go but it wasn't that bad.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I read where CEO, Ethan Casson, was frustrated with Thibs and his impact on the business side of things.I read where CEO, Ethan Casson, was frustrated with Thibs and his impact on the business side of things. As noted... attendance sucks. Season tickets have been a struggle. And we can even take the temp of the forum here to see how much animosity was directed toward the head coach -- and its impact.

So knowing all that... it makes sense to put a good guy with a familiar name who everybody likes in charge for now. At least from the business side of things. It's a PR move.

We'll see how it translates on the court, because I think it's fair to say that none of us really know much of anything about Ryan Saunders the basketball coach and how much authority he'll have with millionaires and players older than him.

Yeah, I don't think it's any secret why he was fired. No one really liked the guy professionally. He was a shitty communicator and seems to have minimal EQ type skills. His sideline manners were abhorrent, even by NBA coaching standards.

When you are disliked by your colleagues, (some) players, most fans, and the owner, you better win a LOT of games. Being .500-ish isn't good enough to tolerate all the other traits.
worldK

Post by worldK »

I think taylor talk himself out of firing thibs at least twice.

1st time - It was reported that he thought about firing thibs and layden in the offseason. It would be even weirder timing if he did that especially after we finally made the playoffs and the butler situation has not been made public yet.

2nd time/ during the whole butler circus. It was also reported that taylor did not know of the trade demand of butler until late. He probably wantrd to fire thibs but it would be unfair to anyone to inherit the problem that thibs created at that point. So he let him ride it out and gave him the chance to fix his mess.

3rd time - this was probably the 3rd time or timrline he set for himself to arrive at a decision whether to finally fire thibs or not. He gave thibs a fair chance 27games after the butler trade(1/3) of a season. While record wise, we are above 500 15-12 after the the trade. And we have just blown out two inferior teams. I think taylor just couldnt talk himself out of not firing thibs a 3rd time.

Firing thibs in the all star break or before trade deadline would be unfair as we probably wont be able to make the trades then. Firing him now would give the new coach a chance to see if we can make a serious push before the break and have time to plan a strategy for the trade deadline since we do have moveable pieces.
Monster

Post by Monster »

worldK wrote:I think taylor talk himself out of firing thibs at least twice.

1st time - It was reported that he thought about firing thibs and layden in the offseason. It would be even weirder timing if he did that especially after we finally made the playoffs and the butler situation has not been made public yet.

2nd time/ during the whole butler circus. It was also reported that taylor did not know of the trade demand of butler until late. He probably wantrd to fire thibs but it would be unfair to anyone to inherit the problem that thibs created at that point. So he let him ride it out and gave him the chance to fix his mess.

3rd time - this was probably the 3rd time or timrline he set for himself to arrive at a decision whether to finally fire thibs or not. He gave thibs a fair chance 27games after the butler trade(1/3) of a season. While record wise, we are above 500 15-12 after the the trade. And we have just blown out two inferior teams. I think taylor just couldnt talk himself out of not firing thibs a 3rd time.

Firing thibs in the all star break or before trade deadline would be unfair as we probably wont be able to make the trades then. Firing him now would give the new coach a chance to see if we can make a serious push before the break and have time to plan a strategy for the trade deadline since we do have moveable pieces.

World I think this is pretty well thought out speculation.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

worldK wrote:I think taylor talk himself out of firing thibs at least twice.

Excellent post, World. I think your analysis is spot on.