Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Astudillo kind of sucks [in terms of MLB players]. He's a fun guy to root for and an overall cool story, but yeah, you don't want him playing much, if at all.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:Astudillo kind of sucks [in terms of MLB players]. He's a fun guy to root for and an overall cool story, but yeah, you don't want him playing much, if at all.

The reality is IMO he has played 87 games over 2 seasons and 282 ABs and last year he bounced around between being injured and stuff. I don't think we know what he is (Or isn't) yet except yes he is absolutely fun to cheer for. He does get wildly overrated by fans at times though.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

That's the same number of ABs Avila had last year in the playoffs! He has played in 35 playoff games including a couple WS games. He also has experience playing 1b and has pitched a few times too!!!

I like the signing. I think your take on Turtle being your backup catcher is spot on. I would love to see him make the roster and still get a game a week catching. Marwin González and Turtle are great super subs.

Can you keep Turtle after giving money to Ehire Adrianza?

Don't teams get to carry an extra guy next year?

Astudillo still has minor league options so they can simply stash him there if they really need him to. Jake Cave still has a year of minor league options as well. Scoop won't be back so that opens at least one infield roster spot. It will be interesting to see how they fill it plus they have an opening at 1b. I'm case you were wondering Tyler Austin is playing in Japan so he isn't available. lol

It sounds like the Twins are getting close to losing Sergio Romo to another team in free agency. Apparently Minnesota has interest -- pinch yourself if you've heard that before -- in bringing him back to the team, but other teams are being much more aggressive. If the Twins lose him, they'll have a tough time replacing him with the bullpen arms that are remaining in free agency and the arms that are perceived to be available are likely too expensive prospect-wise for their blood.

Right-hander Jordan Lyles agreed to a surprising two-year, $16MM contract with the Rangers on Friday. The Twins were among those who inquired about Lyles before then, per Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News. Minnesota may have gotten more serious about Lyles had it not re-signed righty Michael Pineda to a two-year, $20MM accord on Thursday, Wolfson suggests. However, even with Pineda and Jake Odorizzi (who accepted the Twins' qualifying offer) back in the fold, they still have a need for starting help. Pineda, Odorizzi and Jose Berrios are the only in-house shoo-ins to occupy rotation spots in 2020.

Source: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/quick-hits-mets-astros-lindblom-shaw-twins-lyles.html

What are the Twins doing? Perhaps instead of focusing on these backend rotation arms they should be using practically every resource and ounce of manpower on acquiring premium starters.

They whiffed on Zack Wheeler. It's being shrugged off because there's the narrative about Wheeler's wife's family being within closer proximity to Philadelphia, but the truth of the matter is that the Twins' highest offer was $18-million short of the Phillies' and $20-million short of the White Sox's. So, no matter what happened they would have been outbid and that is frustrating. If you were able to sign a top-tier free agent, would you let $4-million more annually stand in the way of doing so? The Minnesota front office just answered that question with a yes and that plays into the idea that the Twins like to show interest to appease the fans but never actually secure these high-priced talents.

I'll end my rant with the fact that we don't know exactly what the front office is cooking up or has planned, but like it was said earlier if the Twins' off-season is Jake Odorizzi taking the qualifying offer, signing Michael Pineda, and signing Alex Avila -- while letting C.J. Cron and Sergio Romo walk in free agency -- this will have been a huge flop and a smack in the face to every Twins fan and customer of their product.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

That has been the Pohlad way. It is why I don't think Taylor is the worst owner in town.

I have hope that they are not finished. I am perfectly fine not overpaying Wheeler.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:That has been the Pohlad way. It is why I don't think Taylor is the worst owner in town.

I have hope that they are not finished. I am perfectly fine not overpaying Wheeler.

Yep and this was the make or break year if they ever will open up the books and spend it at all. All these contracts they signed are really team friendly. Now it's time to go sign non team friendly deal.

Honestly you could argue there's no reason why they couldn't go all in and sign Cole & Strausburg.

I'm adding a Kris Bryant trade to my wishlist for the Twins this off-season. How low does his stock feel right now? Add that to the Cubs looking to clear some payroll and he should be on the move this winter.
Monster

Post by Monster »

How would people feel if the Twins pursued dallas keuchel? It doesn't seem like there is much buzz about him. Maybe he his price tag in his eyes is still quite high?

monsterpile wrote:How would people feel if the Twins pursued dallas keuchel? It doesn't seem like there is much buzz about him. Maybe he his price tag in his eyes is still quite high?

Sounds like something the Twins would do instead of signing Madison Bumgarner.

In all honesty, Dallas Keuchel would be a solid get as long as you're expecting him to be the fourth or fifth starter in the rotation.