Thibs FIred

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Thibs FIred

Post by Monster »

Hey question for Lip and LST or anyone else at a home game was Thibs still getting some boo's the last 2 home games when introduced?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:Hey question for Lip and LST or anyone else at a home game was Thibs still getting some boo's the last 2 home games when introduced?

Yes.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Listening to the jonk show, this move was calculated and wasn't entirely a basketball decision.

Season ticket renewals are at the end of the month.
Saunders gives them a minnesota tie that will help drum up renewals.
They fired thibs after a win to make it clear that this was a business decision.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

crazy-canuck wrote:Listening to the jonk show, this move was calculated and wasn't entirely a basketball decision.

They fired thibs after a win to make it clear that this was a business decision.

Yup. A .500 record with a likeable coach that gets along with people is better for business than a .500 record with a screaming ogre that doesn't know how to communicate and connect with people. Thibs had to really over-perform to keep his job given all the people he's rubbed the wrong way.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Q12543 wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:Listening to the jonk show, this move was calculated and wasn't entirely a basketball decision.

Yup. A .500 record with a likeable coach that gets along with people is better for business than a .500 record with a screaming ogre that doesn't know how to communicate and connect with people. Thibs had to really over-perform to keep his job given all the people he's rubbed the wrong way.

Is it really gonna make that big of a difference? Who's going, "Well now that we have Ryan Saunders coaching I'm gonna renew my tickets." I don't think Ryan impacts sales. You'll only get a bump maybe from anti-Thibs people.

khans2k5 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Is it really gonna make that big of a difference? Who's going, "Well now that we have Ryan Saunders coaching I'm gonna renew my tickets." I don't think Ryan impacts sales. You'll only get a bump maybe from anti-Thibs people.

Khans, you are being naive if you don't think season ticket holders had a big influence on this decision. You don't think their feedback wasn't making it up the chain to Ethan and Glen? And it's less about getting a surge in new season ticket holders and more about keeping the ones we've got. I can tell you this will absolutely help retain a lot of folks that were probably on the fence or definitely leaving if Thibs stayed in charge.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q12543 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Khans, you are being naive if you don't think season ticket holders had a big influence on this decision. You don't think their feedback wasn't making it up the chain to Ethan and Glen? And it's less about getting a surge in new season ticket holders and more about keeping the ones we've got. I can tell you this will absolutely help retain a lot of folks that were probably on the fence or definitely leaving if Thibs stayed in charge.

Heck, don't we have season ticket guys here?

And haven't they been adamantly requesting for Thibs firing for a long time and expressed their frustration with the entire situation?
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Heck, don't we have season ticket guys here?

And haven't they been adamantly requesting for Thibs firing for a long time and expressed their frustration with the entire situation?

Let's have a basic breakdown here in no particular order.

1. Thibs was getting booed in a home arena even if it was just a smattering of Boo's that's pretty bad and the team wasn't great but they didnt suck (overall record) after the trade either. That's a bad look no matter what angle you look at it.

2. Is Ryan Saunders gonna bring in some people? Probably a bit. People love local folks and Flip and his family are revered. It's gonna be a fairly small factor but it doesn't hurt.

3. Thibs being gone is likely a pretty big factor in people wanting to come to the arena this year and people renewing their season tickets. Remember they raised the prices after making the playoffs so some people might have said F this I'm not paying more to watch this....

4. So let's say you are looking at losing money because you have a coach and basketball person in charge that fans don't like and ultimately you have to pay anyway. Why keep the guy if it's gonna cost you on the business side? It's kinda weird to have a business decision be the ultimate reason for dumping a coach but Jon K has said it (among others) for a long time that Thibs didn't build true relationships he needed when things went poorly. He wasn't an asset in selling the team to fans investors etc. now he was a liability. It's a big reason he got canned.

5. Is there a single person on this forum that thought Thibs was the right guy going forward? I doubt it an. I've given him the benefit of the doubt. Again if he was hurting the franchise's ability to make money (I can see that) why keep him? I thought there was a chance the outrage would have subsided by now and to some extent it probably had but it sounds like it was still there. Glen gave Thibs plenty of chances. He didn't do enough with them.

What interesting is that the Wolves are actually a pretty good team at home. The regulars have seen a lot of wins in Target Center the last 1.5 seasons. But...."JESUS CHRIST!!!" and "'C'MON!!!!" and "SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE!!!" along with stylistically not the most fun game to watch combined with a few terrible losses to inferior teams....and, yeah, there ya have it.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q12543 wrote:What interesting is that the Wolves are actually a pretty good team at home. The regulars have seen a lot of wins in Target Center the last 1.5 seasons. But...."JESUS CHRIST!!!" and "'C'MON!!!!" and "SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE!!!" along with stylistically not the most fun game to watch combined with a few terrible losses to inferior teams....and, yeah, there ya have it.

In the end, the Wolves 2nd most "successful" coach will go down as one of the least liked?

That's Wolves history for you. We're not allowed to have (m)any nice things.