2013 Offseason Assessment of Flip

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Porckchop

Re: 2013 Offseason Assessment of Flip

Post by Porckchop »

Brewers certainly been tremendous so far, His leaking out on the break has made this team exciting to watch. I cant imagine it will take long for teams to make simple adjustments to stop that tho.. At that point we will see how Brewer and Adelman counter it.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

PorkChop wrote:Brewers certainly been tremendous so far, His leaking out on the break has made this team exciting to watch. I cant imagine it will take long for teams to make simple adjustments to stop that tho.. At that point we will see how Brewer and Adelman counter it.

How do you stop that? All you can do is pressure Love/Rubio as soon as they come down with a defensive rebound and make your wing player act like a gunner in football like it's a punt. Keep step for step with Brewer/KMart and don't let them get behind you. It's way easier said than done, however. The way we contest jump shots and then sprint down-court is just about as impossible to stop as a Blake Griffin dunk. Think about it. The man Brewer/KMart is matched up with is the shooter in a lot of cases. There's no way they can finish their jumpshot, follow through AND get back on defense quick enough. Just won't happen.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

Camden wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Brewers certainly been tremendous so far, His leaking out on the break has made this team exciting to watch. I cant imagine it will take long for teams to make simple adjustments to stop that tho.. At that point we will see how Brewer and Adelman counter it.

How do you stop that? All you can do is pressure Love/Rubio as soon as they come down with a defensive rebound and make your wing player act like a gunner in football like it's a punt. Keep step for step with Brewer/KMart and don't let them get behind you. It's way easier said than done, however. The way we contest jump shots and then sprint down-court is just about as impossible to stop as a Blake Griffin dunk. Think about it. The man Brewer/KMart is matched up with is the shooter in a lot of cases. There's no way they can finish their jumpshot, follow through AND get back on defense quick enough. Just won't happen.

That was my initial thought process on that too Cam. Brewer is normally guarding the opposing team's best offensive wing. If brewer breaks when his man shoots, the guy that he was covering is not going to make it back to cover brewer on the break.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Im not sure how'll they'll do it but adjustments will be made no doubt. My guess would be if the point guard sees brewer releasing off his man he needs to take off with him or whoever's closest to halfcourt, Dont get me wrong, Adelman is using Brewer / Love perfectly in that regard ( altho they are sacrificing rebounding to do so) so I hope it continues. I just dont think you'll see it being as successful as the year goes on,

markkbu wrote:
Camden wrote:

That was my initial thought process on that too Cam. Brewer is normally guarding the opposing team's best offensive wing. If brewer breaks when his man shoots, the guy that he was covering is not going to make it back to cover brewer on the break.

Contest and release. It's an unstoppable strategy when you have someone that can make the fullcourt outlet pass... Kevin Love can and does regularly. Just add that facet of the offensive attack to the rest of them. Firepower on top of firepower on top of even more firepower.

PorkChop wrote:Im not sure how'll they'll do it but adjustments will be made no doubt. My guess would be if the point guard sees brewer releasing off his man he needs to take off with him or whoever's closest to halfcourt, Dont get me wrong, Adelman is using Brewer / Love perfectly in that regard ( altho they are sacrificing rebounding to do so) so I hope it continues. I just dont think you'll see it being as successful as the year goes on,

So the opposition's point guard is supposed to run with Brewer? I hope he's 6'7 or else Brewer is still getting the basketball. That would also give Rubio an even bigger advantage to chase down defensive boards with the other team's point guard on the other side of the floor. Any way you look at it, it's going to end up in Minnesota's advantage.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

All your asking the pg to do is stay with Brewer on the release. You dont have to be the same size to ensure that pass has to be perfect every time, All I'm saying is that as easy as the Wolves have made that look in the first seven games Id be willing to bet teams will figure out a way to combat it. Will it be a full proof plain? Of course not., There will always be some opportunities but when its not there how do the Wolves combat that and keep Brewer a solid offensive contributor.
lostwolf95 [enjin:7720180]

Post by lostwolf95 [enjin:7720180] »

I think most will agree that Brewer has done more than we expected so far from this team along with Kevin Martin. Both have added fire to the team in regards to pushing the pace on offense and Brewer has really shown his value on defense.

So far, if anything, the second team has been really dissappointing this year which (at least for me) is a little surprising, because I thought it would be one of the strengths of the team going into the season.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

lostwolf95 wrote:I think most will agree that Brewer has done more than we expected so far from this team along with Kevin Martin. Both have added fire to the team in regards to pushing the pace on offense and Brewer has really shown his value on defense.

So far, if anything, the second team has been really dissappointing this year which (at least for me) is a little surprising, because I thought it would be one of the strengths of the team going into the season.

I agree 100% lostwolf.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

markkbu wrote:
lostwolf95 wrote:I think most will agree that Brewer has done more than we expected so far from this team along with Kevin Martin. Both have added fire to the team in regards to pushing the pace on offense and Brewer has really shown his value on defense.

I agree 100% lostwolf.

I couldn't agree more about the surprising poor play of the second team. Remember in training camp when they consistently ran the starters off the floor? And they continued their strong play in pre-season. But it seems that their confidence disappeared when the regular season started. Like lostwolf, I thought we were one of the deepest teams in the league coming into the season, but we have looked like one of the shallowest.

I don't think it's time yet for panic, and I also don't see our reserves bringing back anything valuable in a trade. Better to be patient and wait for them to play the way I believe they are capable.