Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Who is this guy?

Nik Turley, a minor leaguer in the Twins' system, struck out 15 hitters in 6 innings against the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate Tuesday night. Only 3 of the 18 outs he recorded were on groundouts or flyouts. That will catch your attention.

Turley scattered 4 hits in his start against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and the impressive scoreless night on the mound lowered his ERA with the Red Wings to 3.49.

Turley has also pitched for Double-A Chattanooga this year, in a mix of starting and relieving.

In 52 2/3 innings between the two upper levels of the minors this year, Turley has a 2.05 ERA with an 84:15 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Without having seen him pitch, it's hard to know how he's racking up those totals, but they're the kind of numbers that make you wonder if he'll get a shot in Minnesota at some point this summer.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/06/twins-minor-league-pitcher-posts-eye-catching-strikeout-total-tuesdays-start/

Looks plenty intriguing after last night's game.

First I've heard of him. Tall, thin lefty who has a pretty good career record in the minors. Problem is he is 28, I think, so you can't really call him a prospect. I agree he's intriguing though.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Happy to see Gibson do well. I would love to see him be a solid 4th starter for this team.

Jester - So what made Radke effective?

Radke could hit spots consistently and had good run on his fastball even thought it was in low 90s he had good movement on it. Also Radke had one of the best change ups in baseball when he was at his peak.

Also I never heard of this Turley guy, sounds like he might get the call up soon. I think Santiago went to the DL tonight. At least I thought I heard Bert talking about it.

Long night of packing staying up to watch the game hopefully they can hold on. How did Terry Ryan ever think it was good idea to put Sano in RF I'll never know his defense has been really solid at third this year.

Valencia just was tossed in the 9th for arguing balls and strikes once meat head always a meat head. Now the Mariners can't use Dyson as a pinch runner in the 9th inning.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Nik Turley, a minor leaguer in the Twins' system, struck out 15 hitters in 6 innings against the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate Tuesday night. Only 3 of the 18 outs he recorded were on groundouts or flyouts. That will catch your attention.

Turley scattered 4 hits in his start against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and the impressive scoreless night on the mound lowered his ERA with the Red Wings to 3.49.

Turley has also pitched for Double-A Chattanooga this year, in a mix of starting and relieving.

In 52 2/3 innings between the two upper levels of the minors this year, Turley has a 2.05 ERA with an 84:15 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Without having seen him pitch, it's hard to know how he's racking up those totals, but they're the kind of numbers that make you wonder if he'll get a shot in Minnesota at some point this summer.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/06/twins-minor-league-pitcher-posts-eye-catching-strikeout-total-tuesdays-start/

First I've heard of him. Tall, thin lefty who has a pretty good career record in the minors. Problem is he is 28, I think, so you can't really call him a prospect. I agree he's intriguing though.

As Jack Morris told me once about Alex Meyer and has said on air before about other guys. There's no such thing as a 27-28 year old pitching prospect.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Welp that sucked walk off home run by Zunino terrible fastball right down the plate. This team really needs Perkins to come back or needs a closer. The only good part is Cleveland lost tonight so we're still game up but our bullpen has cost us 4 games in the last 10 games if we won the games we could be 4-5 games up on Cleveland right now.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Yep Santiago to the DL. Labella thought he didn't look right in his last start.

The Twins got them self another pitcher!!! I got a kick out of this article on twinkietown about Chris Heston. I quoted the most entertaining part at least to me.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.twinkietown.com/platform/amp/2017/6/7/15760052/minnesota-twins-claim-pitcher-chris-heston-off-waivers-los-angeles-dodgers-san-francisco-giants

"Heston, however, does have an MLB no-hitter under his belt! He threw that gem for the Giants back in 2015 against the Mets. Remember that? That's back when you could get a free Domino's pizza for the ordeal as long as your internet connection and fingers were quick enough.

Interestingly enough, Heston was actually selected by the Twins in the 47th round of the 2007 draft! He didn't sign with the team, though. Joke's on him! Now you are a Twin anyway, Heston. Sucker!"

Jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

As Jack Morris told me once about Alex Meyer and has said on air before about other guys. There's no such thing as a 27-28 year old pitching prospect.

Funny, my son and I talked about the same topic at breakfast this morning, and while we largely agreed, we also agreed that pitching is a unique skill in sports...there are pitchers who reinvent themselves late in their careers. Power pitchers who can't bring it anymore hang on successfully by learning to pitch differently. So, maybe Turley is doing something differently...a new pitch, a different arm angle, or maybe just a new confidence. It's a long shot, I agree, but maybe this guy can help.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Funny, my son and I talked about the same topic at breakfast this morning, and while we largely agreed, we also agreed that pitching is a unique skill in sports...there are pitchers who reinvent themselves late in their careers. Power pitchers who can't bring it anymore hang on successfully by learning to pitch differently. So, maybe Turley is doing something differently...a new pitch, a different arm angle, or maybe just a new confidence. It's a long shot, I agree, but maybe this guy can help.

Speaking of pitchers changing things up Gibson new motion seems to be working. It would be a huge plus if Gibson can keep pitching well but with him it's always consistency. He had a really sharp curve ball today and was keeping hitter off balanced.

Nice to see Kintzler bounce back. You could tell he was amped to get back out there he had couple extra Mph to his fastball tonight. I still wish the twins could get a closer because it would trickle down the rest of the bullpen and make us stronger.

I'd take a
Cp New closer
8th inning Kintzler or Rogers depending on matchup
7th Belisle Duffey
6th Wimmers Presley etc.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

That is good to hear. I am pulling for Gibby. Easy guy to pull for.

I am with you on the closer. What happened with the guy from Texas that was released? (Smith)
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:That is good to hear. I am pulling for Gibby. Easy guy to pull for.

I am with you on the closer. What happened with the guy from Texas that was released? (Smith)

At this point Gibson doesn't have to be good even if he was a decent 5th starter type that would be kinda huge at this point. Anything more than that would be a very happy bonus.

The Rangers closer Sam Dustin was traded to San Fran for player to be named or cash. That doesn't sound exciting but the Rangers GM was excited about what the return would be if Dyson performs. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Good to see Gibby pitch such a nice game against a very hot Mariners team. I thought Gibby would be the big beneficiary of adding a superior-framing catcher like Castro, but it hasn't panned out the way I thought it would...at least not yet.

Speaking of Castro, what a nice surprise his pop at the plate has been....412 slugging average on the season with 6 HRs. Raise your hand if you predicted his slugging average would be better than Dozier's and Rosario's, and almost equal to Mauer's!

Still a game and a half up on the Indians, with as series against SF and a long home stand coming up.