Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins 2020 Off-season Thread

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:How would people feel if the Twins pursued dallas keuchel? It doesn't seem like there is much buzz about him. Maybe he his price tag in his eyes is still quite high?

The pitcher they get has to be an upgrade over Odo not someone on par or less like Kuechel. If we don't do this we will have a repeat of what happen against the Yankees again in the playoffs.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden wrote:
monsterpile wrote:How would people feel if the Twins pursued dallas keuchel? It doesn't seem like there is much buzz about him. Maybe he his price tag in his eyes is still quite high?

Sounds like something the Twins would do instead of signing Madison Bumgarner.

In all honesty, Dallas Keuchel would be a solid get as long as you're expecting him to be the fourth or fifth starter in the rotation.

4 or 5th starter seems a little harsh to me. He doesn't seem like anywhere near a 5th starter.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jester1534 wrote:

The pitcher they get has to be an upgrade over Odo not someone on par or less like Kuechel. If we don't do this we will have a repeat of what happen against the Yankees again in the playoffs.

I think your point still stands but it also isn't completely fair to compare having Berrios and 2 Odo level starters against the Yankees like this last year's playoff series because we didn't have that. We had a Rookie former Uber driver starting game 2 and the best starter we had before he was suspended was Pineda who...was conveniently resigned. =) I'm not suggesting that type of offseason solves anything but I do think it would give this team a chance to compete and if Kuechel signs long term you have a solid starter for a while.

I guess I see Kuechel as a pretty good starter we could maybe get for less money and maybe in general get here. Twins Daily had an article about Kuechel and Donaldson being a plan B. They made the point that Kuechel gets a lot of ground ball outs so if the Twins added him they would need to improve the infield defense. My brother said he doesn't think Kuechel is the type of pitcher the Twins are looking for. I don't disagree and I'm not saying we should be going after him or whatever I'm just seeing a guy that has a pretty good track record just sitting there. Him getting a lot of ground ball outs...makes me cool on him based on the Twins infield.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

In all honesty, Dallas Keuchel would be a solid get as long as you're expecting him to be the fourth or fifth starter in the rotation.

4 or 5th starter seems a little harsh to me. He doesn't seem like anywhere near a 5th starter.

Perhaps you're remembering a version of Keuchel from the past because the one in 2019 was definitely a fourth or fifth starter. The guy's FIP was 4.72 (!). My goodness. Wheeler, Bumgarner, Berrios, Odorizzi -- all had sub 4.00 FIPs. Michael Pineda had a 4.02 FIP. Anibal Sanchez had a 4.44 FIP. Wade Miley had a 4.51 FIP. That's the tier of starting pitchers that he's in.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Camden wrote:

Perhaps you're remembering a version of Keuchel from the past because the one in 2019 was definitely a fourth or fifth starter. The guy's FIP was 4.72 (!). My goodness. Wheeler, Bumgarner, Berrios, Odorizzi -- all had sub 4.00 FIPs. Michael Pineda had a 4.02 FIP. Anibal Sanchez had a 4.44 FIP. Wade Miley had a 4.51 FIP. That's the tier of starting pitchers that he's in.

None of those guys are 5th starters imo.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I dont know whats going on this offseason but man 7 years at 35 mil a year for strausburg is nuts. Cole might get 40 millon. Reports are MadBum wand 9 figures freaking pay the man 5 for 100 and go sign Donaldson.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

What do you think signing a par of guys to 20-30M would do to the club house environment?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:What do you think signing a par of guys to 20-30M would do to the club house environment?

I'm growing less and less confident that the Twins will even sign one guy in that $20-30M AAV range let alone two.

But if they did, I'd have to think the clubhouse would be fired up. Teams in the hunt love reinforcements. Gives them an extra bit of juice. That goes for all sports except maybe football because you don't see it happen much.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

[quote=@6601484

But if they did, I'd have to think the clubhouse would be fired up. Teams in the hunt love reinforcements. Gives them an extra bit of juice. That goes for all sports except maybe football because you don't see it happen much.

I am not sure. I think if you signed a guy and he came in and struggled they might have some hard feelings. I think signing Bumgarner to 5YR/100M deal woldn't hurt team chemistry as much as bringing in Wheeler for 118M. He just has not proven anything. I wonder how much thought it put into how they will fit into the clubhouse they have. The teams that come up together seem to do well when it comes to core positions.