Wolves Hire Thibs

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Re: Wolves Hire Thibs

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

One thing missed in the Horford discussion is him being 30 and wanting to win the big one now. I think he'll want to go to a championship contender if he leaves Atlanta. His window is closing. The Wolves won't be championship contenders next year.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

TRKO wrote:One thing missed in the Horford discussion is him being 30 and wanting to win the big one now. I think he'll want to go to a championship contender if he leaves Atlanta. His window is closing. The Wolves won't be championship contenders next year.

Speak for yourself! And don't sleep on the KAT-Horford Dominican Republic connection...
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Q12543 wrote:
You may be right Carlos, but I think there are some folks that think this team might be ready to take a fairly gigantic leap next year. Wiggins and LaVine are entering their 3rd season, Dieng and Bazz their 4th, and Rubio his 6th. And KAT Is already a top 3 or 4 Center. So with the right defensive focus and improvement, we could still be having game threads one year from now.

I was thinking we'd be a fringe playoff team next year just growing organically with Sam Mitchell and the ending starting five, plus a top five pick. Thibbs immediately raises that expectation. And obviously adding a big time player like Horford would too. But I'm sure they will look at future acquisitions from all angles. Are we going for broke right out of the gate? Or are we building for a longer, sustainable success? Our top three guys in FGA last year were Towns, Wiggins and LaVine. And those guys were 20. Add another top five pick about the same age. How does adding an expensive 30 year old All Star impact things going forward? IDK. But it would seem logical that some guys would have to take back seats to Horford. And taking back seats means decreasing your future value (money) which nobody wants to do. Would that make it harder to keep the young guys come extension time? How many "stars" can you keep happy? Just things to ponder....
Big O [enjin:13874644]

Post by Big O [enjin:13874644] »

Somewhere I read the author claimed Horford to be a young 30 for whatever that means... I really believe the wolves could be playing golden state for conference championship two years from now
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:Wow, again! This has been one hell of a week for Zgoda. First his interview with Thibs, and now a decent interview with Glen...

http://www.startribune.com/q-a-with-glen-taylor-wolves-owner-acted-quickly-to-land-those-he-wanted/376810841/

Geez, Taylor sounds unbelievably competent and confident here. What the hell!? He must have had some sort of awakening over the course of the season.

(And Tim, remember, Taylor owns the Tribune. Let's not give too much credit to Zgoda here, although I do think his questions were solid for a short-form interview).

Yeah Glen really seemed to know what was up. I found it interesting how he said they would have done this even if Flip was still around. I also thought it was interesting the partnership aspect between Layden and Thibs and how it was more of a Spurs model. I hope they keep Milt around I would think Milt would be open to it. If this franchise goes where it looks like it's headed Milt can help keep going what he helped Flip start AND be in line for a top dog job down the road even though those jobs are hard to come by. Also Milt's wife is from the area.
TRKO [enjin:12664595]

Post by TRKO [enjin:12664595] »

Milt should be a nice get for any organization. He and Flip did a great job on the rebuild.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
60WinTim wrote:Wow, again! This has been one hell of a week for Zgoda. First his interview with Thibs, and now a decent interview with Glen...

http://www.startribune.com/q-a-with-glen-taylor-wolves-owner-acted-quickly-to-land-those-he-wanted/376810841/

Geez, Taylor sounds unbelievably competent and confident here. What the hell!? He must have had some sort of awakening over the course of the season.

(And Tim, remember, Taylor owns the Tribune. Let's not give too much credit to Zgoda here, although I do think his questions were solid for a short-form interview).

Yeah Glen really seemed to know what was up. I found it interesting how he said they would have done this even if Flip was still around. I also thought it was interesting the partnership aspect between Layden and Thibs and how it was more of a Spurs model. I hope they keep Milt around I would think Milt would be open to it. If this franchise goes where it looks like it's headed Milt can help keep going what he helped Flip start AND be in line for a top dog job down the road even though those jobs are hard to come by. Also Milt's wife is from the area.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but another thing very enlightening about that interview with Taylor is that Thibs does not have ultimate power in the same way that Flip had. Player personnel moves are expected to be a partnership between Layden and Thibs. And if they are deadlocked on an issue, their contracts spell out who has final decision making authority, depending on the issue.

It would be very interesting to understand which ones Layden has final authority on and which ones Thibs does, but I found that pretty wise of Glen to divide power a bit more than we all perhaps thought at first.

I continue to be impressed with Glen's sophisticated and decisive approach to this whole process.

Edit: Of course, the decision making provisions may look something like this....
Draft picks - Thibs
Trades - Thibs
Free Agent signings - Thibs
Assistant Coaches - Thibs
Scouts - Thibs
Team Doctor - Thibs
Trainer - Thibs
Equipment Manager - Thibs
Water boy - Thibs
Office administrative staff - Thibs
Food and beverage vendor - Thibs
Janitorial staff - Layden
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but another thing very enlightening about that interview with Taylor is that Thibs does not have ultimate power in the same way that Flip had. Player personnel moves are expected to be a partnership between Layden and Thibs. And if they are deadlocked on an issue, their contracts spell out who has final decision making authority, depending on the issue.

It would be very interesting to understand which ones Layden has final authority on and which ones Thibs does, but I found that pretty wise of Glen to divide power a bit more than we all perhaps thought at first.

I continue to be impressed with Glen's sophisticated and decisive approach to this whole process.

Edit: Of course, the decision making provisions may look something like this....
Draft picks - Thibs
Trades - Thibs
Scouts - Thibs
Team Doctor - Thibs
Trainer - Thibs
Water boy - Thibs

I would say it's VERY easy to look at the Spurs with Pop and RC Buford to see how that works. If Pop had the final say on everything I wonder if they trade George Hill to the Pacers to get Leonard. I don't think Pop is the final say on those matters or he legitamately defers to the guys that are doing there jobs scouting players all year long etc. A number of people have said the biggest reason Thibs wanted the full control was to avoid the issues he had in Chicago which no matter the percentage of fault you want to say sounded like a real mess and isn't getting better even though they have their guy in Fred. None of the media people seem to think Thibs is a power hungry guy that wants his hands on everything.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Q12543 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Draft picks - Thibs
Trades - Thibs
Scouts - Thibs
Team Doctor - Thibs
Trainer - Thibs
Water boy - Thibs

You can be as flippant as you like, but nothing will be screw up an organization faster than a messy floor.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
You can be as flippant as you like, but nothing will be screw up an organization faster than a messy floor.
Steph agrees! :-(