Any Wild fans here?

A Place For Hockey Talk
TAFKASP

Re: Any Wild fans here?

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:What are the thoughts on the Martin Hanzal Trade? Seems like a lot for a possible rental.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2195259

According to people who pay far more attention to non-Minnesota teams it is a huge price to pay. On the other hand they're all in on winning a Cup this season!
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheSP wrote:
monsterpile wrote:What are the thoughts on the Martin Hanzal Trade? Seems like a lot for a possible rental.

According to people who pay far more attention to non-Minnesota teams it is a huge price to pay. On the other hand they're all in on winning a Cup this season!

I have no idea how good he is. The other guy they got Ryan White sounds like a decent gritty player. I guy it's supposed to be a weak draft this year too. It seems like a lot to pay but aibalwasy value picks. I don't know what their farm system looks like maybe they felt like they would rather give up picks than players. If it's anything like what the Raptors did adding Ibaka and and Tucker it makes a ton of sense. Those guys make Toronto tough and that team already has a lot of young talent for a team trying to be a contender.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:
TheSP wrote:

I have no idea how good he is. The other guy they got Ryan White sounds like a decent gritty player. I guy it's supposed to be a weak draft this year too. It seems like a lot to pay but aibalwasy value picks. I don't know what their farm system looks like maybe they felt like they would rather give up picks than players. If it's anything like what the Raptors did adding Ibaka and and Tucker it makes a ton of sense. Those guys make Toronto tough and that team already has a lot of young talent for a team trying to be a contender.

I've been reading more of the thread on hockey's future and people are coming around to the trade. The combination of being a poor draft in which the Wild hope to draft at the bottom or close to it devalues the picks. They didn't have to give up any current NHL players nor any of their top prospects. The center is huge and according to a Arizona fan he may not be a big scoring guy, but he does a great job of setting up his wingers, is good on the draw, and very good on defense. The winger they got is also not a top offensive talent, but again a solid defensive 4th liner. They have every reason to expect to compete the next few years so the other two picks should once again be pretty low.

Their farm system currently has about a half dozen players that are expected to be big contributors over the next few seasons so the draft picks aren't as important, and in fact I'd rather give up the unknown of low draft picks over known quality prospects.

The more I read the happier I am!
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheSP wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
TheSP wrote:

I've been reading more of the thread on hockey's future and people are coming around to the trade. The combination of being a poor draft in which the Wild hope to draft at the bottom or close to it devalues the picks. They didn't have to give up any current NHL players nor any of their top prospects. The center is huge and according to a Arizona fan he may not be a big scoring guy, but he does a great job of setting up his wingers, is good on the draw, and very good on defense. The winger they got is also not a top offensive talent, but again a solid defensive 4th liner. They have every reason to expect to compete the next few years so the other two picks should once again be pretty low.

Their farm system currently has about a half dozen players that are expected to be big contributors over the next few seasons so the draft picks aren't as important, and in fact I'd rather give up the unknown of low draft picks over known quality prospects.

I'm a pretty uninformed hockey fan (and that's probably being kind lol) but I sorta equate those picks to if this was baseball. If I was running a good team (so lower picks) with a good farm system would I trade a couple high picks for a better chance to compete for a championship and maybe have a leg up on resigning those guys? Yeah maybe. I know with Baseball you have so damn many rounds you can find guys in plus international FA and picking up guys other teams have dumped etc. It's possible to have too many prospects and lose some. The Twins lost 100 games and they lost 2 moderately interesting players in walker and Stuart. Picks and prospects aren't always great to have you can lose them for nothing. How many guys have the Celtics drafted and cut the last couple years because they have accumulated so many picks.

Anyway yeah getting some sure players now for picks that may not turn out and you have plenty of opportunity to find good young players...sure.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

monsterpile wrote:
TheSP wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
TheSP wrote:

I'm a pretty uninformed hockey fan (and that's probably being kind lol) but I sorta equate those picks to if this was baseball. If I was running a good team (so lower picks) with a good farm system would I trade a couple high picks for a better chance to compete for a championship and maybe have a leg up on resigning those guys? Yeah maybe. I know with Baseball you have so damn many rounds you can find guys in plus international FA and picking up guys other teams have dumped etc. It's possible to have too many prospects and lose some. The Twins lost 100 games and they lost 2 moderately interesting players in walker and Stuart. Picks and prospects aren't always great to have you can lose them for nothing. How many guys have the Celtics drafted and cut the last couple years because they have accumulated so many picks.

Anyway yeah getting some sure players now for picks that may not turn out and you have plenty of opportunity to find good young players...sure.

I don't follow baseball, at all so I have no idea how much the logic translates between the two. In other sports I'm a true homer, I follow the Wild, Wolves, and Vikings, I don't pay close attention to other teams in those leagues, at least not enough to know about any non-star players. I literally never heard of Hanzel or White until I read about the trade yesterday!
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

We'll see how it works out. We gave up a lot for a rental (no cap space to really bring him back). We're all in on the cup this year. At some point though you hit the point of too many cooks in the kitchen and guys will have to sit that were playing and now the chemistry is different. I already thought we were a deep team before this deal so now we're almost too deep. The problem with having too much depth is you tend to make a lot of lineup changes to keep everyone happy and that messes up the chemistry. We'll see. Adding a 3rd line defensive center wasn't exactly the move I thought this team needed to put them over the top.
Squishypoo [enjin:6648839]

Post by Squishypoo [enjin:6648839] »

Before the trade lines.

1 Zucker/ Koivo/Grandland..2.Parise/Haula./Pominville....3 Coyle/Staal/ Nino..4 Stewart/Schoeder/Graovac

After trade

1.Zucker/Koivo/Grandland,,2..Parise/Hanzal/Pominville,,3 Coyle/Staal/Nino..4 Stewart/Haula/White.

Thats some sick line combinations. Parise/Pominville line has not been that great so far this year,so a shake up might be good, That 4th line now should be pretty damn good.

They won vs a good kings team tonight, Parise and pominville were both out tonight.. White had a goal and ast.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I sold my old Buffalo Sabres jersey tonight and that prompted me to check out what was happening with the Wild in the playoffs. I read the recap sounds like a whacky game with the Blues Goalie playing out of his mind. Time to finally wear that 2004 NHL all star game cap I have had sitting around all these years.
Monster

Post by Monster »

It turns out being able to watch some NHL playoffs is a nice bonus for having Sling TV for a month. I watched part of the 2nd period but missed Goal to tie it since I stopped watching to come home. I was glad to see the scored obviously but when I was watching earlier it seemed like the pick was always in the Wild's zone.

Edit: Well I watched a lot of the 3rd period before the internet got slow and missed the rest of the game. Maybe that was for the best. Sigh
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Amazing how a great season can go down the shitter so quickly. They're still playing great hockey, they just can't buy a goal.