DLO Trade Poll

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheFuture

Re: DLO Trade Poll

Post by TheFuture »

I like the trade.

Pushes the PG issue a year back. KATs injury really screwed seeing what the team had together this season, so making the decision on what to offer D'Lo was tough. Seems like he wanted more than was being offered, so you move him. I prefer Conley over FVV or Rozier. I have always liked NAW and those 3 2nd round picks could prove pivotal with how much $ is being spent on this team.

This also frees up $ to extend Naz and potentially Nowell, and keeps the MLE I believe?

Was there a free roster slot or will someone else need to go?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

TheFuture wrote:I like the trade.

Pushes the PG issue a year back. KATs injury really screwed seeing what the team had together this season, so making the decision on what to offer D'Lo was tough. Seems like he wanted more than was being offered, so you move him. I prefer Conley over FVV or Rozier. I have always liked NAW and those 3 2nd round picks could prove pivotal with how much $ is being spent on this team.

This also frees up $ to extend Naz and potentially Nowell, and keeps the MLE I believe?

Was there a free roster slot or will someone else need to go?

Forbes was waived this morning
FNG

Post by FNG »

There's a narrative on this thread that Conley may not thrive in the pick and roll here like he did in Utah because Finchie's offense does not emphasize pick and roll. I also have been a little frustrated this season with the inability of the Wolves to incorporate Rudy into the pick and roll player he was in Utah, but I don't know that is on Finchie. Some coaches are micro managers on the sidelines (see Thibodeau, Thomas) and constantly are directing the offense. I've never seen Finchie as that type of coach. He seems more like the kind of coach who lets his team play with the belief (perhaps faulty this season) they will do what they are most comfortable with. We know what Conley and Rudy are most comfortable with, and I would be quite surprised if Finchie coaches them out of their natural game. But we'll have to see, I guess.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

You don't have to micromanage from the sideline to control the style of play that your team adopts. It's also no secret Chris Finch hasn't been the biggest fan of pick-and-roll centric offenses throughout his career. He's verbalized as much at various times since he got to Minnesota. So yes, he does carry the bulk of the blame for not utilizing that action enough this season. The team ranks near the bottom third of the league in pick-and-roll possessions used while having a multitude of players that excel there. The points per possession is elite. The frequency is not. That falls on the coaching.

Either Finch is going to make serious changes to his system and encourage more pick-and-roll play, or Mike Conley Jr. is coming to Minnesota to play a different brand of basketball than he's used to.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I voted liked, but it was a close call and I don't really have strong feelings either way. In the end, I liked getting three 2nd round picks given our depleted draft stock. I also liked preserving DLO's salary slot in the face of major uncertainty over whether DLO could have been re-signed for a reasonable amount after this season. Finally, I like that it will stop the incessant DLO finger-pointing (DLO points at teammates on the court and fans on this message board point at him). :) Seriously, now we can get down to getting to the root problems with this team. DLO had his failings, but I don't think this team's record would be any better if Conley rather than DLO had been with this team all season.

So let's see what Conley can do - which will of course require him to stay healthy. I think he'll bring do a better job than DLO of protecting the ball and running the offense. But this team will really miss DLO's offensive production. So we'll see where things end up. Apparently, Conley has a special knack for passing the ball in a very special way that makes the ball stick in Rudy's hands. That's exciting. :)
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

That's a good take, Lip.

I see golden state, lakers, clippers, dallas, pelicans (is Josh Richardson still good?), portland, Memphis all making moves. Holy moly. I hope KAT gets healthy soon, and these guys learn to play together in short order!
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

We gave up Wig and Kuminga to acquire a guy who was supposedly going to placate KAT. I heard on NBA radio today that KAT has wanted DLO gone for a year. That as much as anything may have played in to this. Let's see how Lebron likes him after a month or two.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Carlos Danger wrote:Let's take the temperature of the board in an official poll:

Looks like a mandate.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Wait, KAT has wanted Dlo gone? Any insight into this? Thought they were best friends so seems odd.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:We gave up Wig and Kuminga to acquire a guy who was supposedly going to placate KAT. I heard on NBA radio today that KAT has wanted DLO gone for a year. That as much as anything may have played in to this. Let's see how Lebron likes him after a month or two.

You must have been listening to Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo. What a crock of shit.