Draft goals change?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Draft goals change?

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:I like this draft more than most pundits. Also, I rarely buy the tired analysis concerning the draft's quality. The "this draft is considered weak" takes are lazy to me. Year after year we see that isn't the case as stars are almost always yielded. What they mean to say is there's no obvious cream of the crop prospect like a Zion Williamson or Ja Morant. That does not mean there won't be one or likely more All-Stars to come from this class.

I think it's a matter of context.

From what I've heard, they've mentioned there are no surefire things and that the #15 pick could be as good as the #3 pick in this draft.

Now, does that make it a "weak" draft or an incredible "deep/good/balanced" draft? Depends how it's spun I guess.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Take Wiseman early and Mannion with the Jersey pic. Seems like the type of pg that's unafraid of throwing some lobs over the top to our bigs. With Wiseman and Towns down there I think it's a perfect match. From what I've read he seems to be in more of the 90's mold of a pg and might need a year or two coming off the bench which is perfect with DLO now in the fold.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

PorkChop wrote:Take Wiseman early and Mannion with the Jersey pic. Seems like the type of pg that's unafraid of throwing some lobs over the top to our bigs. With Wiseman and Towns down there I think it's a perfect match. From what I've read he seems to be in more of the 90's mold of a pg and might need a year or two coming off the bench which is perfect with DLO now in the fold.

I'm wary of Wiseman. At least one draft evaluation I read indicated that he has shown lack of effort as one of his weaknesses. That's the red flag of red flags when it comes to draft prospects. I'll have to read some more, but if that issue appears pretty consistently in draft evaluations of Wiseman, then I wouldn't even consider drafting him.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

What would folks give up for Marcus Smart? I have a feeling they will be looking for space to make a bigger deal next year. They really need some size. Smart would give us the lockdown defender on the perimeter that we need. While not a very good shooter overall, he has become an adequate 3 point shooter. But his value certainly lies on his defensive ability. Not sure there is a better defender in NBA right now.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

If you look at our current roster and the guys we have rights to next year, it looks something like this:

C - KAT, Reid
PF - Hernangomez (RFA), Johnson, Vanderbilt
SF - Layman
SG - Beasley (RFA), Okogie, Culver, Nowell
PG - Russell

For 20-21, three out of five of these positions are totally up in the air and could potentially be nearly completely turned over again this summer. I'm not sure anyone wants Johson's contract, so we may keep him, but only as our backup PF, as Rosas is looking to create a core starting group that can play together for a few years.

I think the first thing Rosas needs to figure out is whether Hernangomez and/or Beasley are worth keeping and at what price. That will in turn feed into the draft strategy along with other potential trades and free agent signings.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I have no dog in the draft fight... but pairing the team's best player with another 7 footer in Wiseman... one who can't really shoot... when that position has never been more irrelevant... meh.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I have no dog in the draft fight... but pairing the team's best player with another 7 footer in Wiseman... one who can't really shoot... when that position has never been more irrelevant... meh.

Offensively yes the position is almost irrelevant, but even if Wisemen doesn't fill his potential having a 7 footer with a 7 ft 6 wing span will make a difference on the defensive side. What if he could be like Gobert? How big a difference could that make for this team?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

PorkChop wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:I have no dog in the draft fight... but pairing the team's best player with another 7 footer in Wiseman... one who can't really shoot... when that position has never been more irrelevant... meh.

Offensively yes the position is almost irrelevant, but even if Wisemen doesn't fill his potential having a 7 footer with a 7 ft 6 wing span will make a difference on the defensive side. What if he could be like Gobert? How big a difference could that make for this team?

So there's a chance he could become one of the greatest defensive centers of all time?

Well, that would make Towns mostly irrelevant... for either good or bad.

But for the short-term, I don't see the fit between the two of them.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Toppin or Okoro
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

So there's a chance he could become one of the greatest defensive centers of all time?

Well, that would make Towns mostly irrelevant... for either good or bad.

But for the short-term, I don't see the fit between the two of them.

Well this draft has no sure fire anything. If a wing doesn't end up fulfilling his promise as a shooter he's useless. If Wiseman stays healthy he's most likely gonna contribute in some way. Defensively, rebounding, block shots. At the very least a big body in the paint. Everyone keeps saying KAT needs a defensive big next to him and they don't grow on trees these days. Yeah the draft is a crap shoot at every position.