CJ Miles

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Shumway

Re: CJ Miles

Post by Shumway »

TheFuture wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
Sundogxx wrote:I just saw this on twitter... "What happens when every single player on a roster (who shoots a non-insignificant amount of 3s) is a league average 3 point shooter?

3FG% '16-'17:
Teague: 35.7%
Jones: 35.6%
Wiggins: 35.6%
Crawford: 36.0%
Butler: 36.7%
Bjelica: 31.6% (38.4% 15-16)
Dieng: 37.2%
Towns: 36.7%

Is it possible that the Wolves as a collective will be a good 3-point shooting team w/o a single player being better than average?"

I think that's an excellent question. Maybe there's a method to Thibs' madness.

The key is generating volume with this group. Also, "league average" and our notion of what is acceptable when it comes to shooting 3s has been changing before our eyes. While it's true that not everyone is going the full Houston treatment, the league as a whole has been ratcheting up the volume of 3s it takes at an accelerated clip AND without sacrificing accuracy, which has also been going up.

So we are dealing with an ever-higher-bar when talking about the 3-point shot.

Slight derail here..

What is the opposing force to this new system? Can it be stopped at all? In all sports, play has been able to be negated. The NBA is damn near making that impossible. Obviously, things will revert to the norm eventually. But god damn ... when??

It's hard to defend the half court as is, but now players stretch the 3 point line by 3-5 more feet and make them at the same or a better rate.. Bigs are becoming a big risk (unless you're lucky to have a KAT). It's nonsense.

Really good question Future. I don't know the answer, but I'd love to see some ideas on it from others. Eventually there would seem to be an effect of diminishing marginal returns on taking 3s. But I don't really know what will cause that.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

It use to be, a team plays grind out ball ... then force the Tempo or vice versa. A team lives in the mid range/at the ft line? Then pack the paint and make them really earn it. Etc.

This new style is changing everything. I don't see any counter besides following suit.
Monster

Post by Monster »

One change I could see making a bit of a difference in defending the 3 is if they change the way they call those bumps with players going around screens. Thibs talked about that today and he also said they should looks at calling more travels.

Ultimately if you keep having more players more skilled at shooting the 3 espcially bigs it's going to stick around. The league was already trending in this direction but Curry and the Warriors accelerated it even more. If you can defend 3's at a high level you may not have to take and make as many.

Also there is no reason why some guys can't simply take more 3's. If freaking Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez can jack up 3-5 more than they did in their entire career then wing players should be able to get upna few more is the offense is designed to do so.

Something to consider: Teague was a part of some top 3 point shooting squads with Atlanta so he might actually be part of the solution making passes and getting into the lane which he is a guy that drives and creates offense by doing so.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

monsterpile wrote:One change I could see making a bit of a difference in defending the 3 is if they change the way they call those bumps with players going around screens. Thibs talked about that today and he also said they should looks at calling more travels.

Ultimately if you keep having more players more skilled at shooting the 3 espcially bigs it's going to stick around. The league was already trending in this direction but Curry and the Warriors accelerated it even more. If you can defend 3's at a high level you may not have to take and make as many.

Also there is no reason why some guys can't simply take more 3's. If freaking Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez can jack up 3-5 more than they did in their entire career then wing players should be able to get upna few more is the offense is designed to do so.

Something to consider: Teague was a part of some top 3 point shooting squads with Atlanta so he might actually be part of the solution making passes and getting into the lane which he is a guy that drives and creates offense by doing so.

I wonder if the league should just allow hand checking again. I feel that would fix a ton.

I also wonder why the likes of pau or Marc gasol, Lopez, etc. can somehow become great 3 pt threats while someone like Ricky can never figure it out. That definitely brings forth the question of effort.
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheFuture wrote:
monsterpile wrote:One change I could see making a bit of a difference in defending the 3 is if they change the way they call those bumps with players going around screens. Thibs talked about that today and he also said they should looks at calling more travels.

I wonder if the league should just allow hand checking again. I feel that would fix a ton.

I also wonder why the likes of pau or Marc gasol, Lopez, etc. can somehow become great 3 pt threats while someone like Ricky can never figure it out. That definitely brings forth the question of effort.

If you watched both of those bigs shoot in years before it's not really that surprising they were able to make the transition. For example both guys shot over 40% on long 2's the previous 2 seasons and both guys took a decent percentage of shots from there. The reality is no matter how you slice it those guys are simply better shooters than Rubio. They have better looking shots than Rubio has ever had. I think it's pretty clear that Rubio has put in a lot of work into his shot the last few years. It looks better more fluid etc. Working hard I don't think is his problem. Some guys work hard and are good guys but that doesn't mean they will improve. Bazz works his butt off and seems to be all in on being a basketball player but has only made Incrimental improvements in his game.