Heard Brewer is a done deal

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TAFKASP

Re: Heard Brewer is a done deal

Post by TAFKASP »

sjm34 wrote:So it wasn't enough to overpay him significantly, but we also gave him a player option in the final year. For all the ripping Kahn took over the years, it sure seems like Flip is getting a pass for making the same ridiculous signings.

I'm not suggesting Flip has had a perfect offseason. But unlike when Khan took over there is zero interest in rebuilding. Flip has to put together a team that can get into the playoffs this year, no excuses. Patience is not a luxury afforded to Flip right now.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Elan24 wrote:Yes, it seems Brew was more in line with what R Foye got 9 mil over 3 yrs. But maybe the Wolves wouldn't have gotten him for that. Seems 'sota always has to overpay a bit to get their man. It is what it is.

If Foye's 3/9 is the benchmark then Brewer is at least worth 3/12. Brewer >>>>>>>>>> Foye
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Elan24 wrote:Yes, it seems Brew was more in line with what R Foye got 9 mil over 3 yrs. But maybe the Wolves wouldn't have gotten him for that. Seems 'sota always has to overpay a bit to get their man. It is what it is.

Exactly this. We have to overpay. We already know this so why do we get upset over it? It's always going to happen. That is... until the Wolves win the NBA Finals.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The sad part about the NBA is so many decisions made on players is based on money and loosely on basketball decisions so its very hard not to attach a player's value combined with their contract. I think as fans we need to be careful to be able to step outside that some and see if the guy will have value to us going forward.

Let's look at some of the guys we have added on the wing this offseason.

Martin. Looking like a bargain at 7 million Per if it wasn't for that 4th year but damn a LEGIT scoring SG for 7 million even if his D is poor and injury histort is a concern? that's pretty good. Only better SGs on the market fo sure are Ellis and Iggy and they were out of reach Redick has similar value if all you need is a shooter. We need more and Martin is a great fit. What makes his addition valuable is if down the road we want to make a move his contract and production will be a piece we can move. That's important if we have a young guy that steps up or someone becomes availiable we can target. Basically I think we got him for at least a million a year cheaper than I thought and its probably that 4th year that got it done. Still I think its a good value contract.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Continued...

Bud. Ok we feel we overpaid for him but he turned down MORE $ to sign here. I think we would have been oke with 4 million per so maybe a million per overpaying but he could prove a very solid deal. I think Bud could end up being a similar vale player as Redick is right now and therefore almost a bargain for 5 million. Bud does have some upside to him yet since he is younger and fits the system well. I think its a solid deal for a guy we really liked and after what I saw in limited time I think he was much better than I thought. Good signing glad he is back even if we had to give him a little more than expected. I wouldn't have been surprised if we had to match something over 4 million from another team to get him back and that was before the crazy shooter overspending happened.
Elan24 [enjin:6583971]

Post by Elan24 [enjin:6583971] »

Now think back to the draft....say KCP was available and the Wolves grabbed him and didn't make the trade that got them Bazz and Dieng. So they get KCP and whoever at the 2nd 1st rd pick. Now how would you look at the team?
Monster

Post by Monster »

And finally...

Brewer. You could look at it as we traded one legit rotation player in Luke for another in Brewer and yes the contract is longer and a little more but if you want the guy on your team you want him signed for more than a year. I thought like Bud Brewer might get offeres over 4 million per to get him and we went up to 5. I'll say this Brewer has a truely elite skill of taking the ball away from the other team and that's probably worth 2.f Million by itself. I think we all know Brewer can bring some positives to the court and I think the thing that he has improved is his confidence as an NBA player so he takes a shot and doesn't hesitate which is important if you are open and on the Wolves we will have Love and Pek pounding the offensive glass and if Brew take a shot in the offense when he should they will have a good opportunity to get the ball. Guys that are hesitant to shoot open shots can drive coaches batty. Yes AK is a superior player (Martin is superior to crap SGs we had so its even) and yet Brew brings some good stuff to the table and will likely be healthy for around 80 games. AK will be healthy for about 65 games and might have a back flareup and miss a playoff series. That's significant you can't get around that. Bottom line is I think Brewer can help this team this year and going forward I think adding him was a solid move.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

Camden wrote:

Exactly this. We have to overpay. We already know this so why do we get upset over it? It's always going to happen. That is... until the Wolves win the NBA Finals.

Who were we bidding against?????

It's only necessary to overpay when there are other options out there. Who made an offer to Bud, Martin, Turiaf, etc...
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

sjm34 wrote:
Camden wrote:

Who were we bidding against?????

It's only necessary to overpay when there are other options out there. Who made an offer to Bud, Martin, Turiaf, etc...

Bud TURNED DOWN money to return to Sota. I don't remember who it was specifically, think it was the Bucks who offered more. We didn't overpay for Martin imo. 6.5M next season for him is really nice. Turiaf was the vet minimum. What more do you want Flip to do?
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

I have never heard of any of the players we signed receiving another offer. I am not saying they weren't wanted, but we seemed to have overpaid on guys like Bud and Brewer without ever establishing a market. If you have evidence of that offer by the Bucks, I would love to see it. I know Bud said he took less money, but I don't ever remember hearing of any other offers. Only that he visited with them. I don't have a problem with what we are paying Martin (if he can stay healthy), but both Brewer and Bud seem like ridiculous deals to me.