The Young Core

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: The Young Core

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:That is interesting. I thought he had future as utility player in majors.

Wolfson Reports it's the Giants that got him. So...you COULD say we traded him for Adrianza. I do that deal at this point. 72 extra base hits for him in almost 2000 minor league ABs for Vielma is pretty underwhelming even for an infielder. Still this was his first year at AAA it seems like a worthwhile grab for a team looking for a shot at like you said a useful utility guy.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Update on Minors.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/09/mining-minors-twins-minor-leaguers-saw-stock-rise-2017/

They seem to be counting Daniel Palka out. Can Kepler or anyone move to 1B from the outfield when Mauers contract is up?

Also the log jam at SS is getting crazy, but it won't matter if we don't find a pair of solid starting picthers out of this group and a few good relievers.

I'm not that worried about 1b. It seems an easy spot to fill in FA in a worst case scenario. We will see what happens when Mauer's contract ends. Is he still a pretty effective hitter that plays well at 1b? He might be worth being back for a couple more years. We will see.

Vargas isn't a perfect player but he has had a decent season going back and forth between AAA and the Twins. The power numbers are there and has driven in a healthy about of runs. Looking at his numbers in the minors compared to Palka he was better. What is somewhat encouraging about Palka was while he didn't have eye popping power numbers he had a better average and OBP.

The answer to this question is Brent Rooker, has massive power upside and will move up the ranks quickly because he's older. Already at Elizabethtown batting .282 OBP of .364 with 18 bombs. He's listed as outfield but he's not going to stick there. Guy reminds me of young Pat Burrel
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Molitor continues to astound me...first and second, no outs, Vargas up in a 2-1 game. And he doesn't bunt! I can't think of any justification for letting Vargas swing away in that situation, and the resulting double play was inevitable. Let's hope Belisle can retire the Jays in the 9th and save Mollie's ass again.

Edit: Aaaaand, he didn't. Damn Molitor. What book says a .252 hitter should swing away with runners at first and second and no outs leading by one. SMH. The Twins have to beat two opponents now...the Jays, and Molitor. Dumb...

Double edit: Aaaaand Buxton bails out Mollie with another walk off homer! This team is so resilient. The general manager gives up on the season and trades the closer, and the team says "Uh, uh...we're not ready to give up". The manager makes a bonehead move in the 8th and Buck says "That's OK, skip...I'll pick you up". This is fun!
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Jester1534 wrote:
The answer to this question is Brent Rooker, has massive power upside and will move up the ranks quickly because he's older. Already at Elizabethtown batting .282 OBP of .364 with 18 bombs. He's listed as outfield but he's not going to stick there. Guy reminds me of young Pat Burrel

Think he can make the majors by 2019? If he lives up to his potential him and Sano would be the new bash brothers.

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

Think he can make the majors by 2019? If he lives up to his potential him and Sano would be the new bash brothers.

I would predict without question he will be ready in 2019...he's already 22, so he'll be 24 by then. He reminds many of a young Josh Willingham...lots of homers, and lots of K's. He's looked really good at Myers and E-ton. I see him moving up quickly next year and being a September draft pick.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Love it! These Twins are the anti-Wolves, coming through in close games and grinding out a 3-game lead in the wild card race. Yeah baby!
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

What is the deal with Sano? He coming back?

Also where did Aaron Judge come from? I thought Sano was the best up and coming power prospect.

bleedspeed177 wrote:What is the deal with Sano? He coming back?

Also where did Aaron Judge come from? I thought Sano was the best up and coming power prospect.

It looks doubtful now...even if he got healthy overnight, there arent any monor league games for him to get his timing back. I think there's less than a 10% chance he plays against the Yankees.

Judge was a first round pick for the Yankees, but despite being 6-7 in high school, he wasnt projected to be a big power guy. He developed that upper cut swing, and the homers (and strike outs) followed. He batted less than .200 since the All-Star break though, so he may have come back to earth. I don't think he will have a career anywhere near as good as Sano.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:What is the deal with Sano? He coming back?

It looks doubtful now...even if he got healthy overnight, there arent any monor league games for him to get his timing back. I think there's less than a 10% chance he plays against the Yankees.

Judge was a first round pick for the Yankees, but despite being 6-7 in high school, he wasnt projected to be a big power guy. He developed that upper cut swing, and the homers (and strike outs) followed. He batted less than .200 since the All-Star break though, so he may have come back to earth. I don't think he will have a career anywhere near as good as Sano.

Well, at least Judge is playing.....

Rhys Hoskins is a prospect recently brought up here in Philly that was hitting a home run seemingly every game for a while. He's cooled off lately, but he had a hell of a run for a rookie.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I'm going to put the Kibosh on this I have been told that Sano is doing everything he possibly can to get back. The fact is he has a stress fracture in his shin and he can't plant his foot to swing, he can't even run down to first without any pain. Trust me it has to be killing him to not be in there, we wouldn't even be in this position if it wasn't for his first half of the season. The guy is an all star and we all should privilege to watch him next 10 years.