Preseason thread

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Preseason thread

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Having watched AP pass block for years it seems like it can be a huge problem. I get what you are saying but RB's don't have value as trade chips. Trading Waynes for OL help would be interesting, but we would really have to get someone very good for me to consider it. I think Waynes is pretty solid.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:It's probably tough to do after a 2 fumble game, but I would add him to the list of trade candidates with Waynes to try to get O-line help. Pass blocking from a backup RB just isn't enough to keep him around IMO. It's nice to have, but if you are relying on your RB heavily for his pass blocking you are in trouble anyway.

First of all the Oline is a problem and every option should be on the table. It's such a worry I saw some fans a couple days ago saying we should trade a Forbath for Oline help! That's pretty desperate. :)

Pass blocking from the RB isn't just some last resort it's often part of the pass protection package. If you know you turn one guy loose and get everyone else and there is a very high likelihood the RB will pick him up that's not a small thing. The Vikings value him way more than many fans and people are getting probably too excited about a couple of undrafted rookie FA RBs. Look up Mack Brown's highlights from a Washington in preseason in previous years...

I'm always a little skeptical of the idea we could trade something of value for an olineman worth trading for. How many teams in the league have that type of depth and have a guy that also fits the scheme? Trading Waynes means we are likely starting a rookie CB and an injury away from having a weakened position that's important. There has to be someone worthwhile either sitting around waiting for the phone to ring or wil be cut that you can get without giving anything up. The Oline is a big problem and it's reasonable to ask any way that it can be improved but I don't think there are easy answers...unless some players step up and maybe they will. Nobody is really giving the Vikings the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this group and that's fair.

Edit: Worth noting that if Murray is moved one way or another and we kept Roc and Boone that would leave the RB group with 3 years of pro experience between all of them. Murray has been lauded as a teammate and as a person. That matters a bit but the experience probably even more both on the field and in the RB room etc. pick one of the young guys and hope you can bring him along and hope you get the other guy on the PS which is probably likely.

Do the rich get richer? Ikola was a big deal about 2 years ago. He is only 28yo.

http://www.1500espn.com/news/2018/08/report-veteran-safety-george-iloka-expected-sign-vikings/
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Do the rich get richer? Ikola was a big deal about 2 years ago. He is only 28yo.

http://www.1500espn.com/news/2018/08/report-veteran-safety-george-iloka-expected-sign-vikings/

I really wanted him two years ago. It's not a great sign though that one of the teams who are probably gonna be at the bottom this year moved on from him. Hopefully getting back into Zimmerman's defense does the trick. Great depth pickup if Harry or Sendejo go down.

It sounds like they drafted a rookie to replace him and he has shown well. It will be interesting how it works out. I always wonder if he or a guy like Kearse could play LB situationly.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:It sounds like they drafted a rookie to replace him and he has shown well. It will be interesting how it works out. I always wonder if he or a guy like Kearse could play LB situationly.

They were well stacked at Safety with younger players and they saved over 3 million in cap space by listing him go. The 3 Safety idea is the first thing that came into my mind and I also don't think the LBs after the staters and Wilson have blown the doors of anyone. They might keep one less of them now. Letting Kearse go makes sense also. Other than the one article I read about him feeling better this year and putting him as a LB sometimes in practice I haven't heard much buzz about him and at this point you think you would. Maybe the other safeties aren't that far behind him and they are likely locks for the PS. I'm still a Kearse fan though and maybe he is still a guy they want to keep he just hasn't had much buzz because he is just doing his job etc. we will see soon enough.

Edit: the Bengals saved 5.6 million by letting Him go.

As for ther vikings adding him I'm curious to see how much they gave him. It's pretty nice to have a good safety available if and when Smith or Sendejo go down with injury or in Sedejo's case the 2-3 week's of suspensions he is gonna get.

5.6M saving is nothing to sneeze at.

Andrew Sendejo is set to make 5.5M this year. I wonder what we can save cutting him? There was talk this AM that his game is built around everything they are supposed to flag this year.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I didn't even factor in the new rules, but Sendejo is getting suspended this year at some point so this is an even better pickup.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:5.6M saving is nothing to sneeze at.

Andrew Sendejo is set to make 5.5M this year. I wonder what we can save cutting him? There was talk this AM that his game is built around everything they are supposed to flag this year.

Sendejo is slated to make about 3.5 million this year. It's next year they could pay him 5.5 million. Zimmer said Iloka isn't coming into take anyone's job so Sendejo is safe. Just because it's fun i will mention that PFF graded Sendejo very highly last year and had him as above average at Safety and #13th overall. Is he that good? Probably not but I also think he has improved over the years and isn't just serviceable he is better than that now.

Not sure how he doesn't take somebodies job. I am glad if we can keep Sendejo. We always seem to be down a safety at some put in the year or someone is banged up. It would be nice to have backups we are not afraid to start.