Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Post by Lipoli390 »

khans2k5 wrote:There are a couple teams still without a PG somehow that could use Teague so I would bet he gets around 12-15 to start somewhere else. Extrapolate that over 3-4 years and that's worth way more than his option. He's still a solid PG that does a little bit of everything on offense without being great at one thing.

Kahns - If you're right, then I see Teague opting out next summer. So I sure hope you're right.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Yeah, Teague is one of the guys that could weigh our cap space down if he opts in, but Kek makes a good point that while he probably won't get a $20M/year deal, he may be at the stage in his career that he is more interested in a longer contract. A good team that already has a couple stars locked in may just need an average starting vet PG like Teague.

As you said, Teague is an average PG and there's no upside in his game at his age. So I don't see any team paying Teague more than around $8M per year on a multi-year deal. At that amount, it would take almost three contract years to equal the $19 million he's owed next year under his current contract. Then consider the time value of money. If I were his agent, I'd strongly advise Teague not to opt out. He can always get a multi-year $5-8 million per year deal the following season and he'd already have $19 million in the bank. The only way I see him even considering opting out is if we don't play him this season to the point where he opts out in frustration next summer.

$8M per year for Teague would be an absurd bargain. A solid NBA starting vet PG is worth at least $12-15M per year. I think he could quite easily find something that pays him this salary for 3 or 4 years.

I realize Teague is not the greatest fit for our squad. He generally prefers to penetrate, which is tough to do when you don't have any other shooters on the perimeter, thus things get mucked up and ugly. But I don't think that has diminished his reputation or value throughout the league in general. Plus he's been pretty durable.

You might be right, Q. But I'll bet that Teague's next contract, if not with the Wolves, will average no more than $10 million per year. You can hold me to that down the road. Winner of the bet gets .... bragging rights?
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Yeah, Teague is one of the guys that could weigh our cap space down if he opts in, but Kek makes a good point that while he probably won't get a $20M/year deal, he may be at the stage in his career that he is more interested in a longer contract. A good team that already has a couple stars locked in may just need an average starting vet PG like Teague.

As you said, Teague is an average PG and there's no upside in his game at his age. So I don't see any team paying Teague more than around $8M per year on a multi-year deal. At that amount, it would take almost three contract years to equal the $19 million he's owed next year under his current contract. Then consider the time value of money. If I were his agent, I'd strongly advise Teague not to opt out. He can always get a multi-year $5-8 million per year deal the following season and he'd already have $19 million in the bank. The only way I see him even considering opting out is if we don't play him this season to the point where he opts out in frustration next summer.

$8M per year for Teague would be an absurd bargain. A solid NBA starting vet PG is worth at least $12-15M per year. I think he could quite easily find something that pays him this salary for 3 or 4 years.

I realize Teague is not the greatest fit for our squad. He generally prefers to penetrate, which is tough to do when you don't have any other shooters on the perimeter, thus things get mucked up and ugly. But I don't think that has diminished his reputation or value throughout the league in general. Plus he's been pretty durable.

You might be right, Q. But I'll bet that Teague's next contract, if not with the Wolves, will average no more than $10 million per year. You can hold me to that down the road. Winner of the bet gets .... bragging rights?

If (although not super likely) Teague opts in and takes a buyout I think that would elimate the chance for the much coveted bragging rights. :)
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

If (although not super likely) Teague opts in and takes a buyout I think that would elimate the chance for the much coveted bragging rights. :)

I give that scenario .01%. Teague is still good and not a locker room cancer. No reason to buy him out. But you would win bragging rights :)
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

kekgeek1 wrote:
sjm34 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:How about him and Patton to Chicago for Dunn, Levine, and Maarkonen?

You really want to see defense optional come to life don't you? We already suck on defense so why not dream about a defensive unit that would be one of the worst in the history of basketball?

Not understanding your point, considering Teague may well be the worst defensive PG in the league.

I believe that bizarro was talking about trading butler not Teague

Thanks SJM. Yes I should have been more clear. But I got Khans fired up so its still effective
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

sjm34 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:How about him and Patton to Chicago for Dunn, Levine, and Maarkonen?

You really want to see defense optional come to life don't you? We already suck on defense so why not dream about a defensive unit that would be one of the worst in the history of basketball?

Not understanding your point, considering Teague may well be the worst defensive PG in the league.

PG defense is so overrated on this board. Steph isn't a good defender and yet the Warriors have a good defense. How about all the years of Tony Parker on the elite Spurs? PG's have very little impact on team defense. That's why so many teams are just fine when their PG's aren't great defenders. They simply don't impact a defense much. Towns/Markannen aka the anchoring players who actually determine how good of a defense we can have would be a terrible pairing. Probably worst in the league terrible. Zach is terrible on defense as well. Wiggins is a one on one defender, but isn't any kind of elite help defender to makeup for those 3. Dunn can't cover all that up and the positive he brings on defense is negated on offense because he can't run an effective offense. That team is just bad. They'd have to score 140 a game because they are giving up 139 a game with those 5.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Agreed with Khans about PG defense. We've been through it before.

There are too many examples of teams winning despite poor PG play in a defense... and besides... Teague isn't the worst.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I'll take that bet my friend! I think we will know in less than a year since I predict he turns down his player option!
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Agreed with Khans about PG defense. We've been through it before.

There are too many examples of teams winning despite poor PG play in a defense... and besides... Teague isn't the worst.

....and Teague has been on a few really good defensive teams in Atlanta. Horford and Milsap were probably 75% of that.

Still, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a good defensive PG. I think Chris Paul, for example, really helped Houston up their defensive effectiveness last year.

My issue with Teague defensively is that he modulates his effort too much for a guy playing barely over 30 MPG. Every little bit helps and he takes a few too many possessions off for my taste. I've seen him dialed in on defense and he can be pretty good when he really wants to.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

J Rich and a first with filler was their final offer.