2024 NBA Draft Day One GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Day One GDT

Post by FNG »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:23 am I'm not going to worry about trading someone in 6th grade for Rob Dillingham. We have 7 years to figure out 2031. I'm celebrating a tremendous draft that did exactly what we needed, added players who can help right away and keep our championship window open. Getting Dillingham was absolute thievery, Connelly is one of the best in the business.
Before I agree with your first comment, I (and Lip) need more information: what is this 6th graders standing reach?

I was just thinking about how lucky we were to snare two very good bucket getters last night. But circumstances played a part in our success:

-if Rob is 3 inches taller, we have no chance of getting him...he goes in the top 3 easy. Now we have to learn if his size is a big negative or not.

-and if some Kansas coed doesn't accuse Shannon of assault, we have no chance of getting him at 27...he's a lottery pick for sure.

It's nice to be lucky...and good.
FNG

Post by FNG »

We have a lot of smart guys here when it comes to the CBA, but did anyone here mention the 2031 first rounder as an asset when we talked about ways to move up. I know I didn't. TC is definitely a chess player.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:52 pm We have a lot of smart guys here when it comes to the CBA, but did anyone here mention the 2031 first rounder as an asset when we talked about ways to move up. I know I didn't. TC is definitely a chess player.
The "NBA Front Office" podcast guys were scratching their heads trying to figure out how the Wolves pulled off that trade as well until the details were announced -- it never occurred to them that a 2031 1st could be in play...
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

60WinTim wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:54 pm
FNG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:52 pm We have a lot of smart guys here when it comes to the CBA, but did anyone here mention the 2031 first rounder as an asset when we talked about ways to move up. I know I didn't. TC is definitely a chess player.
The "NBA Front Office" podcast guys were scratching their heads trying to figure out how the Wolves pulled off that trade as well until the details were announced -- it never occurred to them that a 2031 1st could be in play...
I wonder why a team like the Suns didn't make the same trade we did. Did there Gm not think about it there in desperate need for point guard and our same boat as us as they cant add shit in free agency.

I guess my point is kudos to Tim Connely for thinking outside the box and its nice to have a GM who willing to go down every avenue.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

60WinTim wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:54 pm
The Duncd on guys had mentioned it once or twice. I wasn't thinking it would have the standalone value necessarily that it did. I think this could become more common with the 2nd apron rules.
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:09 pm
Monster wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:14 am
KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:03 am

Normally, third year guys like Moore and Minott don't play summer league. I can't say watching Moore is fun, so hopefully I don't have to watch him play. On the other hand, I look forward to getting a glimpse of our rookies and Miller is fun to watch.
As far as I can tell Moore might be fighting to be an NBA player. He should be happy to play in the summer league and for the Wolves they could hope he gets hot and looks good so they could unload him for a team that thinks maybe he can actually play. I haven't completely given up on him but it doesn't look good. I would not be surprised if he played.

Minott I would agree is less likely to play but I would not be surprised if he is with the team and maybe plays a game or two and then gets shut down.
Monster, your hope for value out of Moore was never going to happen. He's a negative asset who got shipped off with our 37th pick to Detroit. We do recoup the 53rd. Good riddance. Moore was a horrible pick that cost us three second rounders and now another and I ranked Vince Williams ahead of him and he showed out for Memphis. Jabari Walker would have also been a better pick and I ranked Jovic, Nembhard and TyTy ahead of Moore too. I'm just happy I don't have to watch Moore again.
Oh to be clear I thought he was a negative too which is why I thought he would be on the summer league roster if he was still here which is a knock on him not any real hope. We know now the Wolves wanted to move on. That is not a surprise at all to me. I respect you put on there that you had TyTy listed ahead of him to because that was another failed pick. I liked him also and would have been pretty happy if we had picked him.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Monster wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:55 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:09 pm
Monster wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:14 am

As far as I can tell Moore might be fighting to be an NBA player. He should be happy to play in the summer league and for the Wolves they could hope he gets hot and looks good so they could unload him for a team that thinks maybe he can actually play. I haven't completely given up on him but it doesn't look good. I would not be surprised if he played.

Minott I would agree is less likely to play but I would not be surprised if he is with the team and maybe plays a game or two and then gets shut down.
Monster, your hope for value out of Moore was never going to happen. He's a negative asset who got shipped off with our 37th pick to Detroit. We do recoup the 53rd. Good riddance. Moore was a horrible pick that cost us three second rounders and now another and I ranked Vince Williams ahead of him and he showed out for Memphis. Jabari Walker would have also been a better pick and I ranked Jovic, Nembhard and TyTy ahead of Moore too. I'm just happy I don't have to watch Moore again.
Oh to be clear I thought he was a negative too which is why I thought he would be on the summer league roster if he was still here which is a knock on him not any real hope. We know now the Wolves wanted to move on. That is not a surprise at all to me. I respect you put on there that you had TyTy listed ahead of him to because that was another failed pick. I liked him also and would have been pretty happy if we had picked him.
Ty Ty would have been my pick too. Not the first time I’ve been wrong. It’s tough to be right late in the 1st round. That’s why TC traded up to #8 this week. It’s not easy to be right at any point in the draft, but the odds are better when you’re in the top eight than the bottom 5. :)
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

TyTy actually played really well in G League last season, so at least there might be a little hope there, that he can eventually be a useful player. I have none for Wendell and he's painful to watch. I admit I was a little too gungho on TyTy and the shorter point guard from Tennessee, but I also like Nembhard a lot too, so one for three on point guards but I was pretty high on Vince Williams and Jovic. I would have missed the Kessler pick, so TC has that on me.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

In every draft I develop a man-crush on 1 to 3 players. They are prospects I want to trade up for. I have a pretty good, but mixed track record with those guys.

Last year I had one man-crush - Brandin Podziemski. I was attracted by the competitive intensity I saw in his highlights and by his shooting efficiently and rebounding I saw in his stats. Sure enough, he had an impressive rookie season with the Warriors. He was my only man crush in the 2023 draft.

In 2022 my man crushes were Dyson Daniels, Jalen Williams, Tari Eason and Dalen Terry. So far I‘ve hit on two of the four (Jalen and Tari). I think the jury’s still out on Dyson because of his injuries. It seems pretty clear that I was way off on Dalen Terry. So for 2022 I’m 2 for 3 with one more at bat.

I didn’t have a man-crush on anything of the prospects in 2021.

I’d like to claim that I had a man crush on Anthony Edwards in the 2020 draft, but unfortunately that would be false. I saw his tallest, but I had what now appear to be misplaced concerns about his motor and love for the game. I had only man crush that draft - Okongwu. He’s turned out to be a good player who will likely get better. But way off in reserving my special affection for Okongwu instead of Edwards, Haliburton or Ball. I liked Haliburton and lot and I recall offering some potential trade-downs to get him. But most of my trade-down scenarios were aimed at getting Okongwu.

In 2019 my man crushes were Ja Morant and Darius Garland. I was crushed when Rosas tried and failed to get him. I also liked some other guys in that draft, including NAW, but did not care for Tyler Herro.