Official 2016 Offseasont Thread (Free Agents/Trades/Front Office Moves)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Official 2016 Offseasont Thread (Free Agents/Trades/Front Office Moves)

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

BizarroJerry wrote:Sadly, KG and his 8 million for what could be 15 minutes a game IF healthy, sounds like a bargain

Big IF, but there's no question that you are right. After all, KG led the Timberwolves last year in plus/minus...both gross and per 36...and knows Thibs' offensive and defensive schemes. And then there's the ment....never mind.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Wolves do the deal because of the better value. Boston does the deal because they have too many draft picks, and it's exciting to have # 3 and 5, plus at least one in the second round.

nbadraft.net says
-Murray at 5
-Valentine at 16
-McGaw at 23

Bigs I like are all gone by 16. If we could get Valentine and Sabonis I would be all for it.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

Wolves do the deal because of the better value. Boston does the deal because they have too many draft picks, and it's exciting to have # 3 and 5, plus at least one in the second round.

nbadraft.net says
-Murray at 5
-Valentine at 16
-McGaw at 23

Bigs I like are all gone by 16. If we could get Valentine and Sabonis I would be all for it.

I can't see us ending up with both Valentine and Sabonis, but board favorite Sabonis is available at 16 at the generally more accurate draftexpress.com.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

longstrangetrip wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Sadly, KG and his 8 million for what could be 15 minutes a game IF healthy, sounds like a bargain

Big IF, but there's no question that you are right. After all, KG led the Timberwolves last year in plus/minus...both gross and per 36...and knows Thibs' offensive and defensive schemes. And then there's the ment....never mind.

KG in the last 240 seconds of quarters. Perfect rest for KAT.

IF a trade with BOS were to happen, #5/Payne for #16/#23/#31/Zeller or Sullinger sounds good.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

nbadraft.net says
-Murray at 5
-Valentine at 16
-McGaw at 23

I can't see us ending up with both Valentine and Sabonis, but board favorite Sabonis is available at 16 at the generally more accurate draftexpress.com.

I'll be surprised if Sabonis falls out of the lottery. I'll assume he's gone by 16 and happily take Taurean Prince at 16. He's the 3 and D SF we could use next to Wiggins, Zach, or Bazz and at 6'8 could be our small ball PF. 3pt stroke is very nice and love his activity on defense. Quick feet. Gerald Wallace/Demarre Carrol type?

[youtube]MGuTY9YEHvE[/youtube]

The issue with this trade is the #23 pick. It's kind of in no-man's land when it comes to Bigs. Too late for any prospects you'd be confident in, and maybe too early to take the risk on an international/early 2nd rounder type. Some choices are Cheick Diallo, Zhou Qi, Diamond Stone, Ante Zizic, Ivica Zubac, Petr Cornelie, Brice Johnson, Stephen Zimmerman, and Guerschon Yabusele. I know Stone underachieved, Diallo is impressive defensively but light years away offensively, and nothing about the international guys.

I'd be inclined to pick McCaw here or take a chance on one of Tyler Ulis, Gary Payton II, Onuaku, Zimmerman, Diallo here which fills a bigger need.
Monster

Post by Monster »

There seems to be a bunch of intruiging uber athletic bigs that could push Sabonis down out of the lottery. It only takes one team to like one guy or another especially in this draft. He could be gone by 16 or he could drop. Will the next month give us some clarity on where some of these guys would slotted? Idk
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Throwing out another off-season plan that I hope to be realistic, though somewhat video game-esque. It'll be a tight squeeze monetarily, but depending on how the salaries are worked out, I do think it's all doable.

- 2016-17 salary cap is set to be at $92M. Minnesota is looking at $63.6M in contracts on the roster before any moves have been made.

- Assuming Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, and Jamal Murray are off the board by the time the Wolves pick at No. 5 overall, trade back to a PG-needy team, such as Sacramento (No. 8 overall) or Milwaukee (No. 10 overall) with the goal in mind of landing PF Domontas Sabonis and a future first-round pick (2018 from SAC; 2017 or 2018 from MIL).

- Allow PF Kevin Garnett, SF Tayshaun Prince and C Greg Smith to leave via retirement or free agency, respectively. Hopefully none of these players will be back next season.

- Decline SF/PF Damjan Rudez team option for $1.2M.

- Sign former All-Star Luol Deng (age 31) to a three-year, $39M deal to start at PF next to C Karl-Anthony Towns while also logging significant minutes at SF next to Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, and Shabazz Muhammad. Back in December of 2015, Deng said, "I think I'm best at the 4." In today's NBA, and where he's at in his career, I totally agree with him. Not to mention he played 73% of his minutes at PF in 2015-16. He also posted 15.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG with a .561 TS% post-All Star break and a +/- of +7.1, and then had a fantastic post-season run. There's still juice left in the tank.

- Sign Matthew Dellavedova (age 25) to a three-year, $18M deal to be the primary backup PG behind Ricky Rubio. He's also capable of playing off-ball with Rubio at times. Back-to-back seasons shooting 40% or better from 3P-range. Solid AST/TO ratio over the last two years. Very pesky defender. Some stats would illustrate that the Cavs were actually better with Delly on the court rather than Irving. I wouldn't go that far from a basketball sense, but he knows his role and plays it as well as it can be played. Ironically, this would be Tom Thibodeau's new Kirk Hinrich chess piece, if you will.

- Sign veteran SF/PF James Johnson (age 29) to a two-year, $6M deal. Underutilized in his last two stints (Memphis; Toronto). His teams were better with him on the court, though his playing time was scant. Adds energy, toughness, solid defense, and the potential to score in bunches occasionally to a bench unit that sorely needs all of that.

PG: R. Rubio / M. Dellavedova / T. Jones
SG: Z. LaVine / (combination of players)
SF: A. Wiggins / S. Muhammad
PF: L. Deng / J. Johnson / D. Sabonis / N. Bjelica / A. Payne
C: K. Towns / G. Dieng / N. Pekovic
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

TheFuture wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:

nbadraft.net says
-Murray at 5
-Valentine at 16
-McGaw at 23

I'll be surprised if Sabonis falls out of the lottery. I'll assume he's gone by 16 and happily take Taurean Prince at 16. He's the 3 and D SF we could use next to Wiggins, Zach, or Bazz and at 6'8 could be our small ball PF. 3pt stroke is very nice and love his activity on defense. Quick feet. Gerald Wallace/Demarre Carrol type?

[youtube]MGuTY9YEHvE[/youtube]

The issue with this trade is the #23 pick. It's kind of in no-man's land when it comes to Bigs. Too late for any prospects you'd be confident in, and maybe too early to take the risk on an international/early 2nd rounder type. Some choices are Cheick Diallo, Zhou Qi, Diamond Stone, Ante Zizic, Ivica Zubac, Petr Cornelie, Brice Johnson, Stephen Zimmerman, and Guerschon Yabusele. I know Stone underachieved, Diallo is impressive defensively but light years away offensively, and nothing about the international guys.

I'd be inclined to pick McCaw here or take a chance on one of Tyler Ulis, Gary Payton II, Onuaku, Zimmerman, Diallo here which fills a bigger need.

I'd be happy with Prince. Taurean not Tayshuan.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

5 could get us a nice big and a 3 and D wing (combos): Trade down for a big first like Poeltl, Deyonta Davis, Skal or Sabonis and then pick up McCaw or Prince in the 20s. Or we could go trade down and go for wing or guard first: Luwawu, Baldwin or Valentine and then take a big in the later first round like Thon Maker, Bentil, Sabonis (if he falls), Cornelie, Onuaku, Zubac, Zizic, Brice Johnson, Qi
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:Throwing out another off-season plan that I hope to be realistic, though somewhat video game-esque. It'll be a tight squeeze monetarily, but depending on how the salaries are worked out, I do think it's all doable.

- 2016-17 salary cap is set to be at $92M. Minnesota is looking at $63.6M in contracts on the roster before any moves have been made.

- Assuming Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, and Jamal Murray are off the board by the time the Wolves pick at No. 5 overall, trade back to a PG-needy team, such as Sacramento (No. 8 overall) or Milwaukee (No. 10 overall) with the goal in mind of landing PF Domontas Sabonis and a future first-round pick (2018 from SAC; 2017 or 2018 from MIL).

- Allow PF Kevin Garnett, SF Tayshaun Prince and C Greg Smith to leave via retirement or free agency, respectively. Hopefully none of these players will be back next season.

- Decline SF/PF Damjan Rudez team option for $1.2M.

- Sign former All-Star Luol Deng (age 31) to a three-year, $39M deal to start at PF next to C Karl-Anthony Towns while also logging significant minutes at SF next to Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, and Shabazz Muhammad. Back in December of 2015, Deng said, "I think I'm best at the 4." In today's NBA, and where he's at in his career, I totally agree with him. Not to mention he played 73% of his minutes at PF in 2015-16. He also posted 15.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG with a .561 TS% post-All Star break and a +/- of +7.1, and then had a fantastic post-season run. There's still juice left in the tank.

- Sign Matthew Dellavedova (age 25) to a three-year, $18M deal to be the primary backup PG behind Ricky Rubio. He's also capable of playing off-ball with Rubio at times. Back-to-back seasons shooting 40% or better from 3P-range. Solid AST/TO ratio over the last two years. Very pesky defender. Some stats would illustrate that the Cavs were actually better with Delly on the court rather than Irving. I wouldn't go that far from a basketball sense, but he knows his role and plays it as well as it can be played. Ironically, this would be Tom Thibodeau's new Kirk Hinrich chess piece, if you will.

- Sign veteran SF/PF James Johnson (age 29) to a two-year, $6M deal. Underutilized in his last two stints (Memphis; Toronto). His teams were better with him on the court, though his playing time was scant. Adds energy, toughness, solid defense, and the potential to score in bunches occasionally to a bench unit that sorely needs all of that.

PG: R. Rubio / M. Dellavedova / T. Jones
SG: Z. LaVine / (combination of players)
SF: A. Wiggins / S. Muhammad
PF: L. Deng / J. Johnson / D. Sabonis / N. Bjelica / A. Payne
C: K. Towns / G. Dieng / N. Pekovic

That would be pretty amazing Cam. Oddly I wonder of the most unrealistic thing (other than KG retiring) is Delly. That was weird to say. lol