Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:Wolfson: Spoke w/ George Karl. On #Twolves: "I respect the process. I want to coach again, and Minnesota fits my criteria." Still no contact w/ Flip.

Would Flip the GM and Karl the coach get along?

Who'd have more clout?
Monster

Post by Monster »

I saw that tweet and it is a little weird we haven't contacted Karl at all but I think the Wolves like pretty much every franchise is looking for a younger coach. There is a definate changing of the guard where you have some very successful coaches who will be leaving coaching in the near future.

Having said that I would be interested in Karl as the next head coach but maybe there is something we don't know that makes Flip and Glen not interested. Maybe its some basic philosophy difference or something. I'd prefer someone younger but like I have said before if we have to settle for Karl that's pretty good.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

If we get Karl we may have the whiniest coach and the whiniest star on the same team. Danny Crawford is going to love us.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I don't know why Karl isn't on Flip/Glen's list, but I know why I'm not interested in him. Age, and lack of interest in defense. Adelman II in my estimation.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

longstrangetrip wrote:I don't know why Karl isn't on Flip/Glen's list, but I know why I'm not interested in him. Age, and lack of interest in defense. Adelman II in my estimation.

Mehh. His Seattle teams were fantastic on defense. His last Denver team was one of the most efficient defensive teams in the NBA. When he has the players, he uses them really well. He had a stretch in Denver during the Melo stretch too when they were pretty good defensively, if I remember correctly. I'd be more focused on Karl's offensive sets in the half court. Not sure if it's personnel related, but so many of his Denver teams relied too heavily on transition offense.

With that in mind, Rubio/Brewer/Muhammad/Dieng (Waiters, Parker, Stauskas?) would be really fun to watch on fastbreaks. Anyways...

Big difference right now between Karl and Adelman is it seems like Karl has the fire and passion to still coach. Adelman was just going through the steps aka didn't seem to give a shit.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm not happy with Karl's results when he gets to the playoffs (so many first round exits), but at least the guy gets there. Him or Sam Mitchell? Not even a close call, in my opinion.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Yeah I think Karl has more passion than Adelman, but I think you said it best Cam when he hits the playoffs, something bad happens. We should take a chance on a new guy rather than give another old fart another chance.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

George Karl just turned 63 -- 4 years younger than Adelman. But Cam's point is the more important one. George still has a fire in his belly to coach. Keep in mind that Flip is 59 and will turn 60 in the middle of next season. So if Flip ends up appointing himself, it won't be much different from an age perspective than hiring Karl. Hollins is 60.

If we want a younger head coach, Flip should do everything he can to sign Mark Jackson, Bill Blatt, Fred Hoiberg or Byron Scott. I am certain that Fred is gettable.

I said "age" when I gave my reason for not wanting Karl, but a better word would be "health". Let's be realistic...George is not a young 63, having had to battle prostate and throat cancer. I'm not concerned about the prostate cancer, but the throat cancer really seemed to age him. And it has an unfortunate tendency to return. We already were impacted by health issues with our last coach (albeit his wife's), so do we really want to take a chance on that again? Entering into a long-term contract with a 63 year old with a recent cancer history would be insanity.

I would also take issue with Cam's statement that Karl still has the fire in the belly. You can find interviews with George on the web in which he talks about how his cancer battles have changed him. How they make him appreciate more everything life has to offer, and how he doesn't live and die with how his team performs. Makes sense to me as a life philosophy, actually. But not a philosophy I necessarily want for my head coach. I have always liked George and enjoyed the up-tempo style of his teams, but I think his health issues will make it hard for him to get another coaching gig at 63.

Mark Jackson has been mentioned a couple times on this board, and I have stayed quiet.. thinking someone might bring up his obvious negative factor. I always admired Jackson as a player and a person, but his bizarre Anthony Wiener-like incident with a stripper a few years ago made me think differently of him. Come on, guys...do we really want a married guy that emailed photos of his genitals to a stripper to be developing Shabazz Muhammad? I'm more than willing to forgive people for mistakes they have made, but I also don't see him as the right guy to mentor our young roster. And from what I know about Glen Taylor, there's no chance he would ever consider Jackson.

lipoli390 wrote:George Karl just turned 63 -- 4 years younger than Adelman. But Cam's point is the more important one. George still has a fire in his belly to coach. Keep in mind that Flip is 59 and will turn 60 in the middle of next season. So if Flip ends up appointing himself, it won't be much different from an age perspective than hiring Karl. Hollins is 60.

If we want a younger head coach, Flip should do everything he can to sign Mark Jackson, Bill Blatt, Fred Hoiberg or Byron Scott. I am certain that Fred is gettable.

Lip, I'm totally on board with Blatt and Hoiberg, and I'm intrigued with your certainty that we could get Fred. I have said the same thing on this board many times, but the prevailing board opinion is that it would be almost impossible to pry him away from Ames. Your language makes me wonder if you know something about Fred's intentions. Any inside dope you can provide here, or is this just opinion (like mine)? I want to keep the Hoiberg dream alive, but it seems to me that Glen would really be pushing for the Mayor if he thought he could get him.