Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:38 am A possible Portland deal

Portland gets KAT
Wolves get:
- Scoot
- Sharpe
- Nurkic
- Portland’s 1st round pk. two years after conveyance of 1st to Bulls (between 2026 and 2030)
- Charlotte’s or Wolves 2024 2nd (most favorable)
Blazers won't give you both Sharpe and Scoot.

As for the Knicks, a third team has to be necessary. Paying Mitchell Robinson to in effect be a third string center makes no sense. He has to get re-routed.

For as much as the Knicks seem to be rumored to get him, Knicks fans just wanna keep the powder dry and run it back until a much better player shakes loose. There isn't a demand at all for Towns, especially if it means Randle also stays. That's a front court where if things go kinda south, the fanbase would turn on the team quickly.

Speaking of quickly, while I don't have major hopes for him as a starter, the Wolves would probably insist on getting Quickley back to eventually become starting PG and the Knicks would insist on also swapping Toppin for Kyle Anderson.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:01 am

Portland gets KAT
Wolves get:
- Scoot
- Sharpe
- Nurkic
- Portland’s 1st round pk. two years after conveyance of 1st to Bulls (between 2026 and 2030)

As for the Knicks, a third team has to be necessary. Paying Mitchell Robinson to in effect be a third string center makes no sense. He has to get re-routed.

For as much as the Knicks seem to be rumored to get him, Knicks fans just wanna keep the powder dry and run it back until a much better player shakes loose. There isn't a demand at all for Towns, especially if it means Randle also stays. That's a front court where if things go kinda south, the fanbase would turn on the team quickly.

Speaking of quickly, while I don't have major hopes for him as a starter, the Wolves would probably insist on getting Quickley back to eventually become starting PG and the Knicks would insist on also swapping Toppin for Kyle Anderson.

If Portland is truly in full win-now mode with Lillard, they’ll be willing to give up Sharpe. They don’t have much draft compensation to give up. That’s why they might have to give up Sharpe to get KAT. They apparently offered Sharpe and Scoot for Bridges but the Nets turned them down. So we already know they’ll willing to put Sharpe on the table and after getting rejected by the Nets they’ll have to reset their expectations on who they can get in return.

I don’t think Leon Rose is going to make decisions based on fan sentiment. The Knicks might want to swap Toppin for Anderson, but TC’s not going to do that and they’re not going to let a deal for Towns fall through over that unrealistic demand.

Getting Towns to pair with Brunson and Barrett would be a coup for the Knicks. The Knicks finished 5th in the East with 47 wins. Adding Towns while still retaining Brunson, Barrett, Hart, Randle and either Grimes or Quickley would easily get them into the top 3 or 4.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:53 am

Portland gets KAT
Wolves get:
- Scoot
- Sharpe
- Nurkic

If Portland is truly in full win-now mode with Lillard, they’ll be willing to give up Sharpe. They don’t have much draft compensation to give up. That’s why they might have to give up Sharpe to get KAT. They apparently offered Sharpe and Scoot for Bridges but the Nets turned them down. So we already know they’ll willing to put Sharpe on the table and after getting rejected by the Nets they’ll have to reset their expectations on who they can get in return.

I don’t think Leon Rose is going to make decisions based on fan sentiment. The Knicks might want to swap Toppin for Anderson, but TC’s not going to do that and they’re not going to let a deal for Towns fall through over that unrealistic demand.

Getting Towns to pair with Brunson and Barrett would be a coup for the Knicks. The Knicks finished 5th in the East with 47 wins. Adding Towns while still retaining Brunson, Barrett, Hart, Randle and either Grimes or Quickley would easily get them into the top 3 or 4.
For the fans that live in New York/New Jersey (including may be even Wildwolf himself) that think that the Knicks can somehow hold out for someone better than KAT.....Like who exactly? The Knicks have been a second rate organization for a long time now (and I say that from a place of humility - the Wolves have been a 3rd rate organization, LOL). It is not the NBA destination that their fans or some in the media would make it out to be. MSG is a pain in the ass to get to, the taxes are high in NY and NJ, and their owner is among the worst in professional sports. And Thibs isn't exactly a barrel of fun!

(all of that being said, I give them credit for getting a bunch of gritty competitors and having a pretty damn good season last year. But that doesn't make them a destination franchise).
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:04 am

For the fans that live in New York/New Jersey (including may be even Wildwolf himself) that think that the Knicks can somehow hold out for someone better than KAT.....Like who exactly? The Knicks have been a second rate organization for a long time now (and I say that from a place of humility - the Wolves have been a 3rd rate organization, LOL). It is not the NBA destination that their fans or some in the media would make it out to be. MSG is a pain in the ass to get to, the taxes are high in NY and NJ, and their owner is among the worst in professional sports. And Thibs isn't exactly a barrel of fun!

(all of that being said, I give them credit for getting a bunch of gritty competitors and having a pretty damn good season last year. But that doesn't make them a destination franchise).
The Knicks are how I guess we were after the Joe Smith scandal where we lost 3 firsts. They don't really wanna part with draft assets unless it gets them a guy that puts them clearly over the top. They've seen too many times how Dolan can authorize for cap space and picks to be blown foolishly. In the meantime, they'll just worry about running it back and if a Luka Doncic eventually gives up on Dallas, they wanna be prepared for that, and if doesn't happen, then they'll draft their way back or get as many Villanova or CAA guys as possible. They just don't see KAT as that guy. In their mind, for as much as they wouldn't mind parting with Randle, Randle at $30 mil a year is better than supermax KAT.

For the record, MSG isn't a pain in the ass to get to unless you're driving and to that I say, welcome to Manhattan. Their practice facility is, which is low key a reason why players don't wanna go there. MSG is in the heart of the city.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Portland gets KAT
Wolves get:
- Scoot
- Sharpe
- Nurkic

Portland offered 3 and Simons for Bridges, not Sharpe and 3.

Leon Rose kinda has to have fan sentiment because trading for KAT puts his job status at risk. There's no other move to make after acquring Towns. If it doesn't pan out, he loses his job, especially over someone who hamstrings them financially, doesn't even cost them Randle, and most of all, a player fans don't even want. Selling the fanbase on Towns simply because Rose used to be Towns' agent is a tough sell.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Portland gets KAT
Wolves get:
- Scoot
- Sharpe
- Nurkic

I'd do the deal with Scoot even if we don't get Sharpe back, but I'd like Kris Murray and at least one first, plus whatever salary filler we need to take on. Also, I'd try to ship out Rudy for a younger center like Okongwu or even Ayton. I'm kind of either in the win now camp or reset to Ant's timeline, but trading KAT for younger talent and keeping Rudy is not committing well to either.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

If we can get Scoot and Sharpe plus whatver filler alone for Kat I will forgive him for the Gobert trade.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:42 am

Portland offered 3 and Simons for Bridges, not Sharpe and 3.

Leon Rose kinda has to have fan sentiment because trading for KAT puts his job status at risk. There's no other move to make after acquring Towns. If it doesn't pan out, he loses his job, especially over someone who hamstrings them financially, doesn't even cost them Randle, and most of all, a player fans don't even want. Selling the fanbase on Towns simply because Rose used to be Towns' agent is a tough sell.
I was just searching for offers that would knock TC’s socks off. I would think that getting Scoot and Sharpe would knock his socks off. Note also that my trade idea would have the Wolves taking Nurkic, a guy who can’t stay healthy and who the Blazers have been trying to trade. But yes, I think it would be hard to pry Sharpe away in exchange for KAT. But what choices does Portland have? They just don’t have meaningful draft capital to include unless they agree to remove the restrictions on their deal with the Bulls. And let’s not forget that Scoot hasn’t played a single NBA game. He hit only 27.5% of his threes in the G-League and didn’t get to the line very much. So let’s be careful about overvaluing him. Any team talking to Portland about trading a current all-star for Scoot would invariably say something like the following: “OK, we really like his potential, but he hasn’t even proven he’s a rotation player in the NBA much less an allstar. You don’t have attractive draft capital to offer. So therefore you have to also give us a player with proven NBA ability plus upside and not just one prospect with upside.” I’m sure Portland heard something like that form the Nets, although I don’t think the Nets would give Portland Bridges even if Sharpe were included in the deal.

The reality for Portland is that getting an allstar vet, especially one who complements Lillard, is going to take a lot. Maybe they’ll steadfastly say no to parting with Sharpe, but I’m not so sure. But I think they’d deal Scoot and Simons along with draft compensation for KAT. I just don’t sense that deal would knock TC’s socks off - maybe one sock but not both. :)
FNG

Post by FNG »

I get that TC my at some point decide to move KAT, but I'm 100% opposed to any deal that has been mentioned regarding Portland. KAT is annoying to say the least, but he is a proven all-star and a unicorn-like offensive player, and to get back a package built around two unproven young players with serious flaws would be horrible IMO.

Scoot: His pluses and minuses have been discussed a lot here, but I have serious concerns about him. Poor 3-point shooter, indifferent defender, and a poor assist to turnover ratio. He's got a cute nickname, a great media presence, and a terrific handle. But also lots of red flags.

Sharpe: He had a great game against us, but his numbers last year were awful. Basketball Reference has him with an ORtg of 109 and a DRtg of 121...the worst net rating on Portland! No surprise that he also has the worst on/off number of the 11 Trailblazers who played more than 500 minutes...a disastrous -8.3 adding up to 19 expected losses. And his VORP of -.6 was tied for last on the team with Jabari Walker. I find him to be an undisciplined basketball player who also doesn't "do shit". 4.8 rebounds and 1.9 assists are pretty paltry per 36 numbers. To me Sharpe seems like the kind of out-of-control player Houston likes to draft...not my style.

I listen to a lot of NBA radio, and the world out there has us moving KAT. I'm hoping not, but if TC does make a move, I hope it is at least for players who either can contribute right now or who we are fairly certain are going to be very good. The rumored Portland deal would be a moon shot, but I'm not optimistic it would turn out well.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:17 pm I get that TC my at some point decide to move KAT, but I'm 100% opposed to any deal that has been mentioned regarding Portland. KAT is annoying to say the least, but he is a proven all-star and a unicorn-like offensive player, and to get back a package built around two unproven young players with serious flaws would be horrible IMO.

Scoot: His pluses and minuses have been discussed a lot here, but I have serious concerns about him. Poor 3-point shooter, indifferent defender, and a poor assist to turnover ratio. He's got a cute nickname, a great media presence, and a terrific handle. But also lots of red flags.

Sharpe: He had a great game against us, but his numbers last year were awful. Basketball Reference has him with an ORtg of 109 and a DRtg of 121...the worst net rating on Portland! No surprise that he also has the worst on/off number of the 11 Trailblazers who played more than 500 minutes...a disastrous -8.3 adding up to 19 expected losses. And his VORP of -.6 was tied for last on the team with Jabari Walker. I find him to be an undisciplined basketball player who also doesn't "do shit". 4.8 rebounds and 1.9 assists are pretty paltry per 36 numbers. To me Sharpe seems like the kind of out-of-control player Houston likes to draft...not my style.

I listen to a lot of NBA radio, and the world out there has us moving KAT. I'm hoping not, but if TC does make a move, I hope it is at least for players who either can contribute right now or who we are fairly certain are going to be very good. The rumored Portland deal would be a moon shot, but I'm not optimistic it would turn out well.
All good points, FNG. Honestly, I don’t think you need to worry about the Wolves dealing KAT to Portland unless there’s a three way. I strongly suspect TC agrees with you that they need to get win-now young players in return for KAT. That’s why I continue to believe the most likely destination for KAT is New York with the Wolves getting Quickley or Grimes in return along with Fournier and possibly Barrett.