Vikings 2018 Regular Season Game Thread

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Monster

Re: Vikings 2018 Regular Season Game Thread

Post by Monster »

The good news is Matt Wile has been awesome. The bad news is pretty much everything else.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Cousins is melting down. Buckling under the pressure. When you start arguing with Thielen over the route he ran when he's one of the best route runners in the league you are losing it.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Cousins is not great, above average maybe. But still. The OLine has been bad for the most part all year. All you have to do is watch the lack of running game. Cook is a great back, but he rarely has any room. I said it in the offseason. They for the most part ignored the Guard spots and just threw in anyone. The tackle spots are not good either. This is a common theme every offseason. Draft a CB every year in the 1st round, Draft a WR named MoBo for fun and don't even take a shot at any OLine talent.

I think the last time the OLine was good was when AP ran for 296. What was that? 2006?
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:Cousins is not great, above average maybe. But still. The OLine has been bad for the most part all year. All you have to do is watch the lack of running game. Cook is a great back, but he rarely has any room. I said it in the offseason. They for the most part ignored the Guard spots and just threw in anyone. The tackle spots are not good either. This is a common theme every offseason. Draft a CB every year in the 1st round, Draft a WR named MoBo for fun and don't even take a shot at any OLine talent.

I think the last time the OLine was good was when AP ran for 296. What was that? 2006?

Agreed with all the things you said. Vikings struggling to get going against the bears backups. We should have paid Pat Shurmer 40 million a year. He looks like even more of genius now. The Vikings lost their best olineman in Berger but still had Cook healthy for over half the season etc.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

We also lost our OL coach before the season started. That was the beginning of the end of this season in my eyes. It didn't help to lose Easton, the team got much worse last year after he went down. Also, why did we keep putting Remmers out there knowing he couldn't get it done? I would have liked to see a young guy jump in. They wouldn't have been any worse.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

One guy who might not be too unhappy about this loss is DeFilippo...he has to feel vindicated. Sure the offense clicked against two bad teams, but against a very good defense. it looked worse than it did under him. I don't know that anyone other than Zimmer thought he was the problem.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:One guy who might not be too unhappy about this loss is DeFilippo...he has to feel vindicated. Sure the offense clicked against two bad teams, but against a very good defense. it looked worse than it did under him. I don't know that anyone other than Zimmer thought he was the problem.

Shurmer still looks like the real genius. It will be interesting to see where DeFlippio lands this offseason. We may learn more about if some of the chatter about him going too hard after a head coaching job was legit. Also a freeing messages me that Stefanski was supposedly going to get head coaching interviews...I'm a fan of Stefanski but we don't even know if he is a good OC.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

longstrangetrip wrote:One guy who might not be too unhappy about this loss is DeFilippo...he has to feel vindicated. Sure the offense clicked against two bad teams, but against a very good defense. it looked worse than it did under him. I don't know that anyone other than Zimmer thought he was the problem.

Defilippo was a huge problem. We didn't cross mid-field until the second half under him one game. All he wanted to do was throw the ball 60 times a game. You still have to run in this league. The Rams, Saints and KC all ran the ball this year. Teams game plan with their weaknesses in mind aka get the ball out quick when you have a bad line. Get your RB's out in space. Everyone just pins it on the line but we are talking about not being able to get a single first down for quarters at a time. Football especially in today's offensive league is just not that hard.

There were replays today where Kirk was grimacing expecting to take a big hit that didn't come. Truibsiky had no issues getting the ball out quick and his receivers were often wide open, but even when they weren't he would throw the ball based on the route timing. Kirk seems to be waiting for guys to get wide open or he won't throw it until it's garbage time. Yes there are gonna be times where he just doesn't have a chance but that rarely happened today. He was getting 3-4 seconds on most of his drop backs today and he just wasn't getting rid of the ball. There's a reason he can't beat good teams. He folds like a cheap tent under pressure and with our line he's always under pressure so he frequently folds up.