2022 off season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: 2022 off season

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

PorkChop wrote:I'm with you on this one Cam. Where do you think Lopez settles into the rotation? 3

In my eyes, the rotation falls as follows:

SP1. Sonny Gray
SP2. Pablo Lopez
SP3. Joe Ryan
SP4. Tyler Mahle
SP5. Kenta Maeda
SP6. Bailey Ober

Then there's Josh Winder, Louie Varland, and Simeon Woods-Richardson that will almost certainly make starts throughout the year.

Minnesota was also reportedly interested in Michael Wacha recently. I would think now that they've acquired Lopez that Wacha wouldn't be a target, but it's still a name to be aware of given that Maeda is a bit of a wildcard right now.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I'm with you on this one Cam. Where do you think Lopez settles into the rotation? 3

In my eyes, the rotation falls as follows:

1. Sonny Gray
2. Pablo Lopez
3. Joe Ryan
4. Tyler Mahle
5. Kenta Maeda
6. Bailey Ober

Then there's Josh Winder, Louie Varland, and Simeon Woods-Richardson that will almost certainly make starts throughout the year.

Minnesota was also reportedly interested in Michael Wacha recently. I would think now that they've acquired Lopez that Wacha wouldn't be a target, but it's still a name to be aware of given that Maeda is a bit of a wildcard right now.

I believe Lopez ranked 44th in War of all starting pitchers last year so I would say he's our clear cut #1 now.

This was same predicament the twins were in with Brian Dozier when they didn't pull the trade to Dodgers for Urias. The dodgers wanted more for Urias than just Dozier but he was gettable at the time and the front office fucked that one up.

I wonder what next move will be as it was reported by Dan Hayes Maeda is Not going to the bullpen. Do you package Kepler and one of these one year guys like along gray for a better right handed bat.

At end of the day Arraez is a man without a position and if he doesn't hit .330 he's a net negative to any team. Don't give me his gold glove nomination as it was laughable when he received it. In last 5 years he has DRS of 0.0 he's not a good fielder.

At end of the Day we're betting on Kirilloff to be the man. They also have this stud in minors named Brooks lee who probably will push Miranda to First base/DH in the future

Fun fact to end on Luis Arraez is first AL batting champ to be traded in the off-season he won the batting title since the twins traded Rod Carew in 1978 to the Angels.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I've read that Marlins are moving Chisholm to centerfield and Arraez will play 2nd base. I hope he holds up because he already has bad Knees and I don't think that's a wise decision by the Marlins.

I'd be tempted to keep Max Kepler heading into the season. I don't know what deals are available to them and obviously if the value is right you move him, but I could also see him being an improved version of himself this season. Along with Byron Buxton and Joey Gallo, he'd also make up a superior outfield defensively. By all means, move him if the right trade presents itself, but don't feel forced to deal him.

I think when everyone is healthy Sonny Gray (3.41 FIP, 24.0 K%, 7.4 BB%, 125 ERA+) is still the best starter on the roster with a slight edge over Pablo Lopez (3.71 FIP, 23.6 K%, 7.2 BB%, 108 ERA+). I could also see Joe Ryan taking a somewhat significant leap this year as well, but I've been disappointed by young Twins starters before so I'm fine with expecting him to be in the SP3 territory.

I also saw the Dan Hayes report about Kenta Maeda, which is promising. Being that Maeda hasn't been himself in about two seasons, however, I would feel better if there was a contingency plan in place. He might not be who he once was. Perhaps there is and/or they're prepared to rely on internal talent in the event that Maeda is no longer effective.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden wrote:I'd be tempted to keep Max Kepler heading into the season. I don't know what deals are available to them and obviously if the value is right you move him, but I could also see him being an improved version of himself this season. Along with Byron Buxton and Joey Gallo, he'd also make up a superior outfield defensively. By all means, move him if the right trade presents itself, but don't feel forced to deal him.

I think when everyone is healthy Sonny Gray (3.41 FIP, 24.0 K%, 7.4 BB%, 125 ERA+) is still the best starter on the roster with a slight edge over Pablo Lopez (3.71 FIP, 23.6 K%, 7.2 BB%, 108 ERA+). I could also see Joe Ryan taking a somewhat significant leap this year as well, but I've been disappointed by young Twins starters before so I'm fine with expecting him to be in the SP3 territory.

I also saw the Dan Hayes report about Kenta Maeda, which is promising. Being that Maeda hasn't been himself in about two seasons, however, I would feel better if there was a contingency plan in place. He might not be who he once was. Perhaps there is and/or they're prepared to rely on internal talent in the event that Maeda is no longer effective.

They might go with 6 man rotation they did it last year for first month before everyone got hurt to help protect inning work loads.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The reporting somewhat recently was that the Twins were pushing for more value than just Arraez for Lopez and they actually had a preference for another major league player coming back to them. Well the Twins got plenty of value back in this deal and I'm guessing if they really wanted to flip one or both of these prospects for a major league player they probably could do so. I'm not suggesting they will but yeah great value here.

I'll echo what everyone else said that I think the Twins did well to sell high on Arraez. Lopez needs to stay healthy but Arraez although he took steps last year towards being in better physical shape still was playing hurt last year a chunk of games. If he would have been healthy down the stretch he probably wins the batting title by a much bigger margin. Like it's been said he doesn't have a defensive position I mean let's say he is a gold glove 1st baseman. Ok great but that still means he is taking up a spot that's usually easier to fill with a player with a decent or pretty good bat that can't play anywhere else. Love Arraez but this was a good trade.

Meanwhile the Twins have a bunch of prospect that can either hit or might be solid contact hitters that also may not have a specific position to possibly replace Arraez in some way shape or form. They also moved a left handed hitter. It also opens up a spot for a position player to make the roster that wasn't going to make it before. Maybe that's a FA or maybe it's someone currently with the organization.

I'll also add here that the Twins have added some interesting depth to the organization with Garlick and Ortega now in the minors after nobody claimed them.

As for Kepler...I think the Twins are holding out for something decent for him and I think eventually they will get what they want out of the deal. I think I'll honestly be a little surprised if he isn't traded before opening day. I'm cool if he stays thought. Like Cam said that would be a heck of a defensive OF when everyone is healthy.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:The reporting somewhat recently was that the Twins were pushing for more value than just Arraez for Lopez and they actually had a preference for another major league player coming back to them. Well the Twins got plenty of value back in this deal and I'm guessing if they really wanted to flip one or both of these prospects for a major league player they probably could do so. I'm not suggesting they will but yeah great value here.

I'll echo what everyone else said that I think the Twins did well to sell high on Arraez. Lopez needs to stay healthy but Arraez although he took steps last year towards being in better physical shape still was playing hurt last year a chunk of games. If he would have been healthy down the stretch he probably wins the batting title by a much bigger margin. Like it's been said he doesn't have a defensive position I mean let's say he is a gold glove 1st baseman. Ok great but that still means he is taking up a spot that's usually easier to fill with a player with a decent or pretty good bat that can't play anywhere else. Love Arraez but this was a good trade.

Meanwhile the Twins have a bunch of prospect that can either hit or might be solid contact hitters that also may not have a specific position to possibly replace Arraez in some way shape or form. They also moved a left handed hitter. It also opens up a spot for a position player to make the roster that wasn't going to make it before. Maybe that's a FA or maybe it's someone currently with the organization.

I'll also add here that the Twins have added some interesting depth to the organization with Garlick and Ortega now in the minors after nobody claimed them.

As for Kepler...I think the Twins are holding out for something decent for him and I think eventually they will get what they want out of the deal. I think I'll honestly be a little surprised if he isn't traded before opening day. I'm cool if he stays thought. Like Cam said that would be a heck of a defensive OF when everyone is healthy.

Just to add to Luis Arraez Knee problems the 2nd half last year after he tweaked he only hit .280

This might be an unpopular take given how you feel about each player involved, but there were rumors about a Max Kepler for Gleyber Torres trade between Minnesota and New York at one point. Who knows if that was really on the table or what additional players may have been involved, though.

For the record, if that deal is available I would be in favor of it.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Luis Arraez was my favorite Twin the past two seasons...so much fun to watch his at bats. But that said, I'll join the chorus here that this was a terrific deal. We get a #2/#3 low WHIP guy plus two interesting prospects. Salas was the #4 Marlins prospect and you can never have too many top SS's in your organization. And the CF is only 17 and hit .342 in rookie league...and he's a plus outfielder.

I'll miss Luis a lot, but I started to notice last year how different he looked against LHP, and it turns out he only had an OPS of .685 against lefties...and lefties make up 25% of MLB starting pitching. Rocco was obviously invested in Luis winning the batting title, and was resting him more often than not against lefties late in the season. Almost like a platoon player.

Great deal.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

FNG wrote:Luis Arraez was my favorite Twin the past two seasons...so much fun to watch his at bats. But that said, I'll join the chorus here that this was a terrific deal. We get a #2/#3 low WHIP guy plus two interesting prospects. Salas was the #4 Marlins prospect and you can never have too many top SS's in your organization. And the CF is only 17 and hit .342 in rookie league...and he's a plus outfielder.

I'll miss Luis a lot, but I started to notice last year how different he looked against LHP, and it turns out he only had an OPS of .685 against lefties...and lefties make up 25% of MLB starting pitching. Rocco was obviously invested in Luis winning the batting title, and was resting him more often than not against lefties late in the season. Almost like a platoon player.

Great deal.

Can't complain about the baseball value of the deal too much.

But like others, I liked Arraez. In part, because he brought me back a bit to the baseball I grew up with. I'm not nearly as much of a fan of the current game nearly entirely controlled by spreadsheets.

Sometimes, too much knowledge is a bad thing... especially when it makes a more homogenized product for entertainment purposes.

Oh well. Go Twins. My spreadsheet tells me there's a 52.843% chance this deal works out for them favorably for the next two seasons and 51.43578% chance it works out for them favorably over the next three seasons. And there's an amazing 55.48765% chance this trade works out favorably for the Twins in night games following a full moon when the temperatures are between 61 and 69 degrees with cloud cover below 40%.

How do you not take those favorable odds?!?!!?