Twins Free Agency

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Twins Free Agency

Post by Monster »

Fernando Rodney to the Twins. Honestly for what some of these relievers have been getting it looks like a pretty decent deal. I'm sure they aren't done either.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:Fernando Rodney to the Twins. Honestly for what some of these relievers have been getting it looks like a pretty decent deal. I'm sure they aren't done either.

Great gap closer for the Twins, we have so many good young bullpen arms we didn't need to sign a closer for multiple years. Another shroud move by management I'm like this offseason so far. Now they need to resign Belisle go get a bat and sign Darvish.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Fernando Rodney to the Twins. Honestly for what some of these relievers have been getting it looks like a pretty decent deal. I'm sure they aren't done either.

Great gap closer for the Twins, we have so many good young bullpen arms we didn't need to sign a closer for multiple years. Another shroud move by management I'm like this offseason so far. Now they need to resign Belisle go get a bat and sign Darvish.

In line with what you said I saw Lavine said they think their closer of the future is on their roster. Rodney was the closer for a 93 win Arizona team last year. That's not too shabby.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Hmm...I don't share both of tour enthusiasm for Rodney. He's gonna be 41 before the season starts, and had a 4.23 ERA as a reliever last year...not very good. He can still strike guys out, but he also has a tendency to be wild...26 walks in 55 innings last year. Is there anything more maddening than a closer walking the lead off guy? Does he bounce back at 41? I'm skeptical. I agree with jester that this has been a pretty good offseason, but the last two moves don't work for me.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:Hmm...I don't share both of tour enthusiasm for Rodney. He's gonna be 41 before the season starts, and had a 4.23 ERA as a reliever last year...not very good. He can still strike guys out, but he also has a tendency to be wild...26 walks in 55 innings last year. Is there anything more maddening than a closer walking the lead off guy? Does he bounce back at 41? I'm skeptical. I agree with jester that this has been a pretty good offseason, but the last two moves don't work for me.

Well you just described Matt Belisle 22 walks in 60 innings pitch with a 4.03 era.

Era is most worthless stat for a reliever, if the guy has one bad month his era can be shot for the rest of the year.

What other move do you not agree with? The Pineda move or the rule 5 guy?
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Hmm...I don't share both of tour enthusiasm for Rodney. He's gonna be 41 before the season starts, and had a 4.23 ERA as a reliever last year...not very good. He can still strike guys out, but he also has a tendency to be wild...26 walks in 55 innings last year. Is there anything more maddening than a closer walking the lead off guy? Does he bounce back at 41? I'm skeptical. I agree with jester that this has been a pretty good offseason, but the last two moves don't work for me.

Well you just described Matt Belisle 22 walks in 60 innings pitch with a 4.03 era.

Era is most worthless stat for a reliever, if the guy has one bad month his era can be shot for the rest of the year.

Man if Rodney has a "bounce back" season after last year where he was 4th overall in saves he will be one of the bargains of the offseason. To Jester's point Rodney gave up 14 earned runs in April. The rest of the season he gave up 12 runs.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

Man if Rodney has a "bounce back" season after last year where he was 4th overall in saves he will be one of the bargains of the offseason. To Jester's point Rodney gave up 14 earned runs in April. The rest of the season he gave up 12 runs.

Thanks for that information, monster...funny, but my son just said the same thing to me at dinner tonight!

Jester, I liked the Pineda move. The Rule 5 pickup didn't make any sense to me at all. I suspect we'll end up giving him back.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
jester1534 wrote:

Thanks for that information, monster...funny, but my son just said the same thing to me at dinner tonight!

Jester, I liked the Pineda move. The Rule 5 pickup didn't make any sense to me at all. I suspect we'll end up giving him back.

Another fun stat I saw today about Rodney was 50 of his 61 (82%) appearances last year gave up 0 ER. Second in the MLB last year only behind Wade Davis (84.8)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Any thoughts on FA in general or maybe some of these lesser moves the Twins have made? What about that huge international pitcher they signed?

Wolfson reports that he really things Darvish is down to Cubs Twins Astro's and maybe one other team. He also thinks that the Cubs Darvish interest is more about trying to leverage to sign Cobb. I don't have my hopes up on Darvish but I won't be completely shocked if he signs with the Twins either.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:Any thoughts on FA in general or maybe some of these lesser moves the Twins have made? What about that huge international pitcher they signed?

Wolfson reports that he really things Darvish is down to Cubs Twins Astro's and maybe one other team. He also thinks that the Cubs Darvish interest is more about trying to leverage to sign Cobb. I don't have my hopes up on Darvish but I won't be completely shocked if he signs with the Twins either.

Multiple reports and also I heard from friends I have there that Darvish wants 6 years and all these teams want to give him a 5 year deal. Basically whoever cracks first will most likely get him. I've also heard the Dark Horse that no one is talking about is Seattle after losing in the Ohantini sweepstakes.