What the Pek

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TravisT [enjin:6669699]

Re: What the Pek

Post by TravisT [enjin:6669699] »

monsterpile wrote:I'll add that I agree with Cam on the Martin overpaid thing. Yeah his D may suck but guess what a lot of offensive players have poor D. I'll take a guy that was a legit SG in this league for a bunch of years for a couple million over the average salary compared to fringe starters like Korver, Mayo Redick etc. We played Luke at SG last year and as much as people ripped on his D I think his team D helped helped the wolves be solid on D all year. even saying that Martin can't be that much worse than what we have throw out there on that end.

One other consideration is I know his FT attempts have declided but they are still a decent amount and if healthy this team can live at the line and put teams in foul trouble and that's significant especially in the postseason which can offset some defesive issues. Martin isn't perfect but I'll take what he brings at that price plus I can see him as an asset if we made a deal for another player.

I second this. I can't believe that people would complain about Martin just because of his defensive liability. This franchise has never really had a legit 2 guard. Now that we finally have one people just want to prod at his flaws instead of the needs that he's addressing. The positives outweigh the negatives in this case.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I want to know why exactly, so many of you think that Glen Taylor is cheap? I highly disagree with this. They spend and make an effort to keep there guys as seen this year. Just wondering why exactly you state that he is cheap?
TravisT [enjin:6669699]

Post by TravisT [enjin:6669699] »

I don't think I've ever considered Taylor cheap. The team is consistently at the cap. I don't blame them for not wanting to pay a luxary tax. They're small market so they spend what they can.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

TravisT wrote:
monsterpile wrote:I'll add that I agree with Cam on the Martin overpaid thing. Yeah his D may suck but guess what a lot of offensive players have poor D. I'll take a guy that was a legit SG in this league for a bunch of years for a couple million over the average salary compared to fringe starters like Korver, Mayo Redick etc. We played Luke at SG last year and as much as people ripped on his D I think his team D helped helped the wolves be solid on D all year. even saying that Martin can't be that much worse than what we have throw out there on that end.

One other consideration is I know his FT attempts have declided but they are still a decent amount and if healthy this team can live at the line and put teams in foul trouble and that's significant especially in the postseason which can offset some defesive issues. Martin isn't perfect but I'll take what he brings at that price plus I can see him as an asset if we made a deal for another player.

I second this. I can't believe that people would complain about Martin just because of his defensive liability. This franchise has never really had a legit 2 guard. Now that we finally have one people just want to prod at his flaws instead of the needs that he's addressing. The positives outweigh the negatives in this case.

I gotta third this. He is a starting caliber SG that has played on winning teams for the recent memory, was in the top 10 in the NBA in 3 PT% last year, and is a very efficient scorer.

This is not like adding Darko to our team, or Beasely, or Roy, or A Randolph, or Martell Webster. This guy is a legit starter that shoots well, that is coming from playing on wining teams.

I can see why people would want to complain about him.~
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Thank you, crazysauce, for pointing out that Glen Taylor is NOT cheap. Fans love to blame the owner when things don't go right, and locally we have been plagued with cheap baseball owners (Calvin Griffith followed by the Pohlad family). But Taylor with the Wolves and the Wilfs with the Vikings have demonstrated over and over again that they are not unwilling to spend to try to bring the fans a winner. Their judgment as to what they choose to spend their money on can and should be challenged, but not their willingness to spend.
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

I read a few articles this morning about Pek, his Agent who also represents Love...about the negotiations and the hopes for Pek to get a 5 year, or 55 plus million dollar contract. Never going to happen on either dream! Is Loves agent being a bully due to what happened to Love who is still pissy about his own offer and contract he signed two years ago?
KGdaBom [enjin:6632523]

Post by KGdaBom [enjin:6632523] »

If he wants five years 55 million lets do it. That is only 5 million more than the reported offer and we get another year of his services.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

After refusing to give Love 5 years, it would be disastrous to give it to Pek. We might as well buy Love a ticket to LA.

The wolves have to handle this like the business the players always say it is. Don't bid against ourselves. No team can give him a five year deal, and there are only a couple teams left with significant cap space, so it is likely that we can get him much cheaper. Pek does have a deadline himself, because he isnt' going to want to play over seas until he has his deal inked. The wovles would be smart to take advantage of that.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

When you've been out of the playoffs for 9 years in a league where more teams get in than those that don't, there is no one else to blame but the owner. I've spoken about this many a time. He has to be held accountable for this entire run. I get that there's an attachment to him for several reasons, but winning in the NBA involves fearlessness, some ruthlessness and drive, qualities Glen hasn't demonstrated in almost a decade.

And I'm one who thinks Glen is cheap. Maybe cheap isn't the word, but definitely gun-shy which leads to him being more frugal. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money and for this team, maybe he has to spend a little more to get the results he wants, instead of trying to cut corners and reach the same conclusion.
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

Today on the radio the rumor is PEK wants Hibbert (Max) money, using as leverage the fact that he could play next year at 6 Million then be unrestricted. Wolves "very firm" in their position, if 12.5 won't do it, let him walk