Rudy Gobert for Number 1 Discussed

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Rudy Gobert for Number 1 Discussed

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:To be honest, I would do the trade. I floated this idea as soon as we won the #1 pick. Wiseman is my favorite in the draft, but the Wolves are going to take Ball.

I don't think the Wolves will draft Ball. I think they'll trade down and draft Toppin.

Have you heard anything Lip about drafting Toppin. I just know that is the hot rumor with the wolves is they love Toppin.

Just don't know how true it is.

*I actually won't mind it the Wolves end up with Toppin in this draft. I do think he will be a very solid NBA player with some star ability. Big concern is defense though

I just read a recent report that the Wolves are really high on Toppin. That report rings true since Toppin would fill a front court need and fit the team's style of play. He wouldn't be my pick, but I think there's a good chance the Wolves trade down and take him. I'd take Toppin over Ball.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:Also in that pod they talk about #1 and Johnson for Rozier and #3 i do not like that trade

I wouldn't trade 17 and James Johnson for Terry Rozier so the thought of moving down from the first overall pick for him is maddening.

I totally agree!!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:Draft Wiseman if you stay at #1, and figure the rest out later. He is the best talent. By far.

The problem is that if the goal is to still pursue a third star eventually like a Booker or Simmons, Wiseman becomes a negative asset since teams like Phoenix and Philly won't want Wiseman. They're still treating this top pick as an asset they hope doesn't depreciate enough to take them out of a potential trade for someone like Booker, Beal or Simmons

I think we disagree on what a negative asset is, to begin with. Andrew Wiggins was a negative asset in that the Wolves were looking to offload him even if it meant attaching draft compensation with him. That is not happening with James Wiseman. In the case of making a move for Ben Simmons or Devin Booker, Wiseman would simply be dangled to a third team for assets that would head in another direction. That's why three-team trades are a thing.

For example, it might make sense for the Wizards to be an option in any Simmons trade with Bradley Beal heading back to Philadelphia.

I agree, Cam. It's impossible to view Wiseman as a negative asset right now. His length, athleticism and skill set at a young age make him a highly valuable draft asset. That's why he's consistently placed in the top 3 by the vast majority of draft analysts. What we don't know is how highly he's valued around the League compared to Ball and Edwards. But as you noted, it depends on the team. Some teams will value Wiseman more highly than Ball or Edwards while others will value him less. But very few teams won't see Wiseman as a potential star a la Embiid, Bosh or at least Gobert.

I like your idea of the Wizards in a three-team with the Sixers and Wolves. Beal clearly makes more sense than Simmons for the Sixers and if the Wizards are really to rebuild as I think they should be, then our picks would be highly value to them. Therein lies the chance for the Wolves to land Simmons, who I still consider the best fit for the Wolves by far.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

lipoli390 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:To be honest, I would do the trade. I floated this idea as soon as we won the #1 pick. Wiseman is my favorite in the draft, but the Wolves are going to take Ball.

I don't think the Wolves will draft Ball. I think they'll trade down and draft Toppin.

Have you heard anything Lip about drafting Toppin. I just know that is the hot rumor with the wolves is they love Toppin.

*I actually won't mind it the Wolves end up with Toppin in this draft. I do think he will be a very solid NBA player with some star ability. Big concern is defense though

I just read a recent report that the Wolves are really high on Toppin. That report rings true since Toppin would fill a front court need and fit the team's style of play. He wouldn't be my pick, but I think there's a good chance the Wolves trade down and take him. I'd take Toppin over Ball.

I wonder if they feel they could develop him into a good defender. He's long as hell and looks like he could put on a bit more weight. The dude is an absolute monster finisher around the rim and just super, super efficient.

There is a part of me that feels like Rosas might just say "eff it, we're going for a top 5 offense and THEN worry about the defense". Toppin would fit that strategy.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

I wonder if they feel they could develop him into a good defender. He's long as hell and looks like he could put on a bit more weight. The dude is an absolute monster finisher around the rim and just super, super efficient.

There is a part of me that feels like Rosas might just say "eff it, we're going for a top 5 offense and THEN worry about the defense". Toppin would fit that strategy.

My theory is he is close to a finished product he could produce right away. That can be an asset to the Wolves in a few ways including as a trade asset. I'm not suggesting they are drafting him for him as an asset but he might blow up offensively.

Fun stat according to Wikipedia he had a school record 190 dunks. So basically he averaged 3 dunks a game over his college career. I don't have something to compare to but that seems pretty good.

He is a guy that had a big growth spurt so he used to be more of a guard. One highlight I saw him run the floor and my goodness it was like he was literally sprinting and it was fast. Does anyone know if he is good at setting screens?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

My theory is he is close to a finished product he could produce right away. That can be an asset to the Wolves in a few ways including as a trade asset. I'm not suggesting they are drafting him for him as an asset but he might blow up offensively.

Fun stat according to Wikipedia he had a school record 190 dunks. So basically he averaged 3 dunks a game over his college career. I don't have something to compare to but that seems pretty good.

He is a guy that had a big growth spurt so he used to be more of a guard. One highlight I saw him run the floor and my goodness it was like he was literally sprinting and it was fast. Does anyone know if he is good at setting screens?

I didn't know he was one of those guys with a late growth spurt. Those guys, like Scottie Pippen and Anthony Davis, tend to do very well in the NBA. I love Toppin on the offensive side of the ball. He's a monster dunker with a nice three-point shot. And as you noted, he's very fast. If Q is right about Rosas deciding to go all in on an elite offense, then Toppin would be my guy over Ball or Edwards. My concern, like all the analysis I've read, is his defense. But maybe he can improve enough in that area to become a decent defender. He is long and athletic. I like the defensive potential of Wiseman and Okongwu. I also continue to like Haliburton, Deni, Vassell and Patrick Williams as potential trade-down picks. But I'd be fine trading down and taking Toppin. I'd still like to believe that Towns and Russell can improve defensively. And I think Beasley has significant defensive upside. The key in my view is adding an elite defender with size like Covington as our starting SF. If Culver could become a good shooter I could see him developing into our starting SG and being a very good one. If we draft Toppin in a trade down with Atlanta and get Heurter in return, here's the Wolves likely starting five:

PG: Russell
SG: Beasley or Heurter
SF: Okogie
PF: Toppin
C: Towns
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Draft Toppin and play the first to 150 wins lol.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:Also in that pod they talk about #1 and Johnson for Rozier and #3 i do not like that trade

I wouldn't trade 17 and James Johnson for Terry Rozier so the thought of moving down from the first overall pick for him is maddening.

I totally agree!!

I remember Rozier and the Hornets getting roasted at the beginning of last season. It seemed like an overpay for him... and he was being outplayed by unheralded Devonta Graham.

I was pretty shocked when I looked up Rozier's season stats. Looks like he rebounded from that terrible start pretty well...

18.0 ppg
4.4 reb
4.1 apg
42.3% fg
40.7% 3fg

The 3fg is the stat that really jumps out. Considering Rozier shot only 38% from the field in Boston... 40.7% on nearly 7 attempts per game is legit good. He also improved at the line... getting there more and shooting 87.4%.

Was it an anomaly? Or, a sign of improvement that might even continue?

[Note: I'm not a fan of his size, even though he's played bigger than that over his career, especially when it comes to rebounding.]
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Wiseman and KAT would heavily impact or change the NBA.

Passing on him is a big mistake.

His shot is definitely overlooked.

He is by far the best talent.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

TheFuture wrote:Wiseman and KAT would heavily impact or change the NBA.

Passing on him is a big mistake.

His shot is definitely overlooked.

He is by far the best talent.

I'm coming around on the Wiseman idea. I didn't like it at first playing two bigs but I kinda wanna keep this roster and not deal Culver or Okogie.