Timberwolves Roster

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Timberwolves Roster

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:The Wolves currently have 2 players over the age of 25 on the roster. Jake Layman who turned 26 in March and Rubio who turned 30 in October. It's a really young roster.

We finally have everybody on the right timeline!

Championships here we come!!!

I honestly continue to completely forget that we have Jake Layman on the roster. He actually can play the 3 or 4 (positions where the cupboard is pretty bare right now) and not hurt you too much, but man, there is just not much to get excited about with him.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Q12543 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:The Wolves currently have 2 players over the age of 25 on the roster. Jake Layman who turned 26 in March and Rubio who turned 30 in October. It's a really young roster.

We finally have everybody on the right timeline!

Championships here we come!!!

I honestly continue to completely forget that we have Jake Layman on the roster. He actually can play the 3 or 4 (positions where the cupboard is pretty bare right now) and not hurt you too much, but man, there is just not much to get excited about with him.

You probably forgot about him because of the great toe massacre of 2019. Worst injury in the history of phalanges.
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

The big toe is a major injury. It was the same thing that ruined Jonathan Ogden's career in the NFL. Just walking is almost impossible and if you cannot walk, you cannot jump. I am not a pro athlete, but my right big toe has been an issue for almost 3 years and just doesn't want to heal. Just doing push ups is agony due to the pressure on the toe. I think it is unfair to any athlete to think you understand what they are going through.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

D'Natagal wrote:The big toe is a major injury. It was the same thing that ruined Jonathan Ogden's career in the NFL. Just walking is almost impossible and if you cannot walk, you cannot jump. I am not a pro athlete, but my right big toe has been an issue for almost 3 years and just doesn't want to heal. Just doing push ups is agony due to the pressure on the toe. I think it is unfair to any athlete to think you understand what they are going through.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Multiple Wolves players sat out for longer periods than most other teams. The team was actively trying to lose games. For example, I believe Wiggins was out for an entire week to attend his grandmother's funeral.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
D'Natagal wrote:The big toe is a major injury. It was the same thing that ruined Jonathan Ogden's career in the NFL. Just walking is almost impossible and if you cannot walk, you cannot jump. I am not a pro athlete, but my right big toe has been an issue for almost 3 years and just doesn't want to heal. Just doing push ups is agony due to the pressure on the toe. I think it is unfair to any athlete to think you understand what they are going through.

Multiple Wolves players sat out for longer periods than most other teams. The team was actively trying to lose games. For example, I believe Wiggins was out for an entire week to attend his grandmother's funeral.

It's helpful to hear about injury experience even from us regular folks. I think the main clarification that Abe is kinda getting at is Cams comment was directed at the Wolves not at Layman. I'd guess the toe injury was still bad but I'm also sure they had him take his time getting back which...idk to some extent I don't even have a big problem with.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

It's helpful to hear about injury experience even from us regular folks. I think the main clarification that Abe is kinda getting at is Cams comment was directed at the Wolves not at Layman. I'd guess the toe injury was still bad but I'm also sure they had him take his time getting back which...idk to some extent I don't even have a big problem with.

My issue - and what Abe is getting at I suspect - is that it reinforces the losing culture this franchise so desperately needs to rid itself of. It helped get us the #1 pick in a draft where literally no one could agree on who the best player was among three fairly flawed prospects, with many predicting that the long-term best player will likely emerge from the larger pool of guys picked afterwards.

If Edwards fizzles, as many of us expect could happen, it would be reason #1,286 as to why it doesn't pay to on purposely lose.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

I think you give our team too much credit. I dont think they try to lose, they are just actually that terrible.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

My issue - and what Abe is getting at I suspect - is that it reinforces the losing culture this franchise so desperately needs to rid itself of. It helped get us the #1 pick in a draft where literally no one could agree on who the best player was among three fairly flawed prospects, with many predicting that the long-term best player will likely emerge from the larger pool of guys picked afterwards.

If Edwards fizzles, as many of us expect could happen, it would be reason #1,286 as to why it doesn't pay to on purposely lose.

Talent and good coaching lead to wins and wins lead to a winning culture. The fundamental problem with the Wolves organization is and always has been it's failure to make good player-personnel decisions, especially in the draft. It's not unreasonable to given developmental players more playing time or be extra careful with injuries late in a season when the team isn't in position to realistically make the playoffs, even it results in more loses. Lots of teams, even really good teams, do it. As we know, most of the best teams sit their best players during the season simply to help ensure they're fully healthy for the playoffs, even if sitting them results in more regular season losses. These sorts of decisions are side-shows.

The problem with the Wolves isn't the absence of a "winning culture" whatever that is; it's the absence of winning, which results primarily from a lack of talent. As we all know, the Wolves' lack of talent over the years has resulted directly a long list of terrible draft decisions and other poor player-personnel maneuvers. I won't bother listing any or all of the Wolves' many missteps since we all know what they are. Unfortunately, in my view, history repeated itself in this year's draft. I like the Rubio acquisition, but it's only marginally helpful. Otherwise, it's unfathomable to me that the Wolves, in possession of the 1st, 17th and 33rd picks in the draft, came away with nothing more than three notoriously poor perimeter shooters, two of them with serious questions about their competitiveness and basketball IQs. Note that one of those will remain in Europe for at least a year and may never come here.

The one saving grace might be the phenomenal physical talent of Anthony Edwards, but the questions surrounding his competitiveness, love for the game and basketball IQs are the issues that would cause the best NBA organizations to pass on him as the top pick in the draft. He may pan out and I sure hope he does. But history teaches us that it's highly unlikely. Then, after swinging for the fences with Edwards in spite of the warning signs, Rosas took another home run swing on an even more dubious character in McDaniels. After switching for the fences with the high-risk/high reward Edwards, you'd think the Wolves would have focused more on connecting with a solid single or double to get some runners on base. I'm not sure how I'd extend the baseball metaphors to the Gersson's decision to trade up for Bolmaro.

So let's hope Edwards reaches something close to his full potential on both sides of the ball. If he does and this team keeps the KAT/Russell duo, then this team will win a lot of games. And from that will come a winning culture.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Utah 2017-18:

- Rubio on, Mitchell on: +8.9 points per 100 possessions | 93rd percentile

- Rubio off, Mitchell on: +4.2 points per 100 possessions | 79th percentile

Utah 2018-19:

- Rubio on, Mitchell on: +8.2 points per 100 possessions | 92nd percentile

- Rubio off, Mitchell on: +6.0 points per 100 possessions | 86th percentile

Phoenix 2019-20:

- Rubio on, Booker on: +6.3 points per 100 possessions | 86th percentile

- Rubio off, Booker on: -6.3 points per 100 possessions | 21st percentile
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Camden wrote:Utah 2017-18:

- Rubio on, Mitchell on: +8.9 points per 100 possessions | 93rd percentile

- Rubio off, Mitchell on: +4.2 points per 100 possessions | 79th percentile

Utah 2018-19:

- Rubio on, Mitchell on: +8.2 points per 100 possessions | 92nd percentile

- Rubio off, Mitchell on: +6.0 points per 100 possessions | 86th percentile

Phoenix 2019-20:

- Rubio on, Booker on: +6.3 points per 100 possessions | 86th percentile

- Rubio off, Booker on: -6.3 points per 100 possessions | 21st percentile

Ricky is only 30, he is going to morph into what jason kidd did the 2nd half of his career