The case for Zach Lavine at PG

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Big O [enjin:13874644]

Re: The case for Zach Lavine at PG

Post by Big O [enjin:13874644] »

This is all a moot point when one or more wing players goes down with an injury. Over/under on how many more games that takes to occur???
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Big O wrote:This is all a moot point when one or more wing players goes down with an injury. Over/under on how many more games that takes to occur???

Game 21
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Big O wrote:This is all a moot point when one or more wing players goes down with an injury. Over/under on how many more games that takes to occur???

Bingo!
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

That's true O...all bets are off if there is a significant injury. If a wing goes down for awhile, I think Sam moves Zach back into the mix at SG. If Ricky or Andre goes down, though, it solidifies Zach's role as a PG.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

So far I'm seeing 5 in favor of Zach at PG, and 5 against (I have monster on the fence)

In favor:
Former PBO and head coach Flip Saunders
Head coach Sam Mitchell
LST
48WinTim
Doper

Against:
khans
m4gor
Drew
Abe
fondey

Let's see how it plays out. Here's some data to support the "no Zach at PG group". Through the first two games, TWolves have shot 49.5% with Ricky on the court and 32.7% without him. Pretty significant difference...maybe speaks more to the value of Ricky than the effectiveness of Zach though.

All we know to date is that Sam is 2-0 executing his vision.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I have to qualify my "in favor" stance... Our 2nd unit would probably be better if Miller were running the show, but then what do you do with Zach? DNP him?

I love the current wing rotation. It promotes defense. It promotes Wiggins' development at both wing positions. And it promotes winning, which is an important part of development, too. There just isn't a sensible spot for Zach at SG except for situational matchups. But that would be unfair to Zach to only use him in those circumstances. That leaves backup PG as the only consistent minutes Zach can see at this point in time.

So Zach at PG is less than ideal, but for the betterment of the team, it's where Zach needs to play if we play him at all. And for Zach's development, playing minutes at PG is better than DNPs.
TheGrey08

Post by TheGrey08 »

That's an interesting take LST and it may have some merit. PG is arguably the most important position. By having him play some backup PG it puts the ball in his hands and challenges him both offensively and defensively (more than playing SG does). Like giving him more on ball defensive experience. If he can learn some of those skills, (create for teammates, attack the paint, be controlled, better on ball D, etc) it's going to make him that much more dangerous at SG. His time at PG is definitely not wasted time. I fully expect it to pay off in the end by making him a dangerous SG who can also slide over and play PG if necessary.

I personally don't have an issue with him getting PG minutes. I just do not like the fact it's not intended to play him at SG with Rubio. Sam didn't plan to do so in the Lakers game, but Martin was gassed and Lavine was playing well so he kept him in the game. The rotation I want to see is Zach being the guy who comes in for Prince, sliding Wiggins to SF and playing next to Rubio. Then bring in Martin for Rubio sliding Zach to PG and Bazz in for Wiggins. I do like seeing Bazz & Wiggins playing together some too, but more so want to see Zach & Rubio.
mrhockey89

Post by mrhockey89 »

I'm confused as to why this is even a thread. I don't see how anyone could view Lavine's future as a PG rather than a SG? And to the point that LST has listing Flip Saunders as a guy that was for Lavine at PG, that is false. Flip said in interviews this past offseason that the only reason he was playing Lavine (out of position) as a PG was because he wanted Zach to get a chance to develop his overall game better, as he'll be able to move over to SG at anytime without problem.

I'll say this... If Zach Lavine's future on this team is as a PG, then I say we trade him right now, because he's a drain on our team at that position and likely always will be. SG, however, is a position this kid may be able to develop at.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

While there might be some merit to LaVine playing PG for his own development, what about the development of the guys he's playing with out there - guys like Shabazz and Dieng for example? His greatest weakness is setting up the offense and making other guys better with his passing.

I'm not a huge Tyus Jones fan because of his defensive shortcomings, but he got Dieng a ton of easy looks in pre-season with his mastery of the pick and roll game. LaVine doesn't even come close.

I think ultimately either an injury to one of our other wings or a trade ultimately gets him moved back over to SG. It's painful to watch him try to run an offense.
mnhoops [enjin:11017401]

Post by mnhoops [enjin:11017401] »

I think the biggest thing hurting Zach and (and to a lesser extend Wiggins) on the offensive side they seem to be stuck in an isolation mindset. He hasnt developed any awareness for flow in the offense and seems to be holding the ball too much on offense trying to get things started or waiting for the shot clock to get down so he can just go one on one or pick and roll.

Hopefully with Ricky back showing it on the floor and the vets to help out you can see Zach and Wiggins getting theirs without plays ran to get them the ball in isolation sets every time.

Unlike Towns (needing guards to get him the ball) I'm sure most of their lives Zach and Wiggins were given the ball and told to go.