Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: Flip's Agenda - #1. New Coach

Post by 60WinTim »

Camden wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Sam Cassell being a head coach?

Flip, Sam and Glen kind of all left on poor terms...

Plus I'ld have to learn a new language to understand Sam's pre and post-game interviews! ;-)
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Oh, and I do think the hiring of Milt was a potential pre-cursor to Flip moving in as head coach...
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

So obviously Glen is ok with Flip being the new coach as well, otherwise he would have put that in the contract that he could not be the head coach.

The longer this plays out, the more this wreaks of Flip coaching. Get ready for more mediocrity!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

BizarroJerry wrote:So obviously Glen is ok with Flip being the new coach as well, otherwise he would have put that in the contract that he could not be the head coach.

The longer this plays out, the more this wreaks of Flip coaching. Get ready for more mediocrity!

Well, a couple of thoughts:

#1) We've been missing mediocrity for 10 years. I miss mediocrity. Don't you?

#2) Guys can learn and grow in their jobs. Flip has seen a lot of stuff since he coached the Wolves. Maybe, just maybe, he will be better this time around...

Of course, it's speculation on our part that Flip will coach. It may not come to pass.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

60WinTim wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:So obviously Glen is ok with Flip being the new coach as well, otherwise he would have put that in the contract that he could not be the head coach.

Well, a couple of thoughts:

#1) We've been missing mediocrity for 10 years. I miss mediocrity. Don't you?

#2) Guys can learn and grow in their jobs. Flip has seen a lot of stuff since he coached the Wolves. Maybe, just maybe, he will be better this time around...

Of course, it's speculation on our part that Flip will coach. It may not come to pass.

We've won 2 playoff series in our 25 years, right? Or am I missing 1? Yeah, let's go back to the way things used to be-1st round playoff exits. Different players-yes. Different philosophy and attitude? No.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I didn't hear much that interested me in Flip's press conference, until he was asked if he intended to include Love in discussions about the next coach. I expected him to tap dance around this question, but instead he gave a definitive no. I don't know how to interpret this, but must of my conclusions go to the dark side...that Flip has concluded Love is gone. If so, I look for the Wolves to deal Love this summer.

I don't like it, but Flip's comment about Love has me thinking differently.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

longstrangetrip wrote:I didn't hear much that interested me in Flip's press conference, until he was asked if he intended to include Love in discussions about the next coach. I expected him to tap dance around this question, but instead he gave a definitive no. I don't know how to interpret this, but must of my conclusions go to the dark side...that Flip has concluded Love is gone. If so, I look for the Wolves to deal Love this summer.

I don't like it, but Flip's comment about Love has me thinking differently.

That could mean one of three things.

1.) Flip is looking to trade Love this summer in a blockbuster deal acquiring starters and a high lottery pick. CHI/BOS being the teams with most to offer.

2.) Flip won't include Love in the decision-making because he intends to coach this team once again, thus it'd be unnecessary to have that conversation. He knows he has a solid relationship with the players already, including Love.

3.) Flip flat out lied. He will include Love on the coaching hunt, respecting his wishes on who to play for. Ultimately hoping this and the team's upped potential keeps Love for the future.
Monster

Post by Monster »

IMO Flip got guys to overachieve during the regular season a number of years. Yes some of that has to be a credit to KG, but Flip did a hell of a job coaching this team at least in the regular season don't discount that. Does that make me want him as coach? Not really.

I read nothing into Flip's comments except Hoiberg ain't leaving Iowa State and I saw on Twitter thats pretty much what Flip said that Fred wasn't looking to go to the NBA right now. Duh.

Here is the thing if Flip is the next coach as others have stated thats not so awful. in addition we don't really know what we will be losing if he steps down as the main guy making decisions. Maybe we will actually be kind of dodging a bullet there. We don't know what we have there. If he picks out a new coach I do think he is very qualified to pick that guy as long as his ego stays out of the way enough.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

lipoli390 wrote:Flip made only three comments about the selection of our next head coach:

1. He want's the next coach to preserve Adelman's offensive system.

2. The Wolves will not hire Fred Hoiberg -- Flip's exact comment was "that's not happening."

3. He doesn't know when a decision will be made and he first needs to sit down with Glen Taylor and identify the qualities needed in the Wolves next head coach.

I find it interesting, but not surprising, that Flip wants to retain Adelman's offense. I find it particularly interesting that Flip's only comment on an individual was the comment he make definitively dismissing Hoiberg as a head coaching candidate. Fred is VERY close to Glen Taylor. I suspect that Flip would not want a head coach or anyone else in the organization who has a close relationship independent relationship with Glen.

All three comments point towards Flip making himself the next head coach. First, Flip has said a number of times that he and Adelman have the same coaching philosophy at least offensively. Second, summary dismissing Hoiberg at the outset takes away someone who Glen Taylor would view favorably. Third, Flip's lack of urgency regarding the selection of a new head coach suggests he expects to assume that role.

I can already see Flip stalling on the coaching search until all the good hires are gone, and then trying to convince Taylor that he is the best available option. Zgoda said he gave the impression it might take till the draft to find the guy.

I agree with pretty much everything you stated Lip, and it scares the hell out of me. The one candidate I don't want is Karl. Even though he has been successful, he is 62, and has already had significant health issues. We just don't need to go down this road again. JVG, Hollins, and SVG is the order I would look at for NBA guys, but I have reservations of how SVG would mesh with Love. Donovan and Izzo look like good picks as well.

Flips comments on keeping Adelman's offensive identity tell me he has no intention of hiring anyone other than himself. Does anyone think a JVG would take a job where he is being told what offense to run?

As for comments regarding the roster and type of team, Flip has exactly what he wants for his offense. DC, Bud, Hummel, Martin, Love are all considered jump shooters. The fact that half of them aren't very good at it is apparently lost on Flip or he wouldn't have signed half of them. Unless Taylor holds strong to his comments, this team will be starting over within two seasons.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I think keeping Adelman's system is about making Love happy. He likes the system.