Let Me Be The First

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Let Me Be The First

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:I think that the people taking the position that Rubio just can't be the answer for this team as a true championship team have plenty of merit and I don't really disagree with that stance. However I do want to bring up one point that I do think gets lost in the conversation between Rubio's strengths and weaknesses...

Rubio is still a young player. He turned 25 last October. No I am not suggesting he has massive untapped potential bit something else. Rubio has lost valuable game experience to injury and the best team he played on was a somewhat disappointing team that went 40-42. There is oftent he narrative of young players learning how to win but it seems to not be talked about when it comes to Rubio. He hasn't really learned to win either. He is a young still and (assuming he can stay healthy) maybe learn what he can do in a variety of situations to help his team win throughout the game and particularly late in the game. I am not suggesting Rubio will end up being a decent shooter (except maybe from 3) or finish around the rim at some have decent rate but he may find ways to help a team even against top level competition in a ramped up playoff environment. Keep in mind this is the guy that somehow is able to draw fouls on people despite being one of the worst scorers in the floor at any time. This is one reason why I would like to see Rubio and this group together into next season and see what can happen. I am certainly no in a frame of mind where we keep Rubio at all costs but I'd stick with him for right now especially since there is still some questions about where you really need to fill a hole right now because of not absolutely knowing what you have with some players on the roster and what position they can play plus a lottery pick coming in (could end up being Rubio's replacement. Keep in mind Flip seemed to like Russel a lot of he was in a different draft slot...who knows right?

Side note:

Isaiah Thomas is now an all-star. I always liked him and it seems he is finally getting the chance to do his thing and getting recognition for it. Wouldn't it be fun to find a gem like him?

For cheap.

Even after being a 20/6 guy... he only got a 4 years/ $27M contract. That's a bargain in today's NBA even if Thomas wasn't a starter.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

There is rumor going around that Atlanta is shopping Teague. Would a Ricky trade involving him make sense? He's having a bit of a down year but he could bring some perimeter shooting to the table. I'm not even sure I like it but it's interesting. Only making 8 mil a year as well.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I don't worry about whether this team can or can't win a title with Rubio because I don't think they're ever winning a title regardless of who's here. Also, as far as PG goes, you guys need to face reality. If they decide to replace Rubio, the organization clearly wants Zach to take over that spot. This is what they've always wanted. Sadly, LaVine is way more important to this process than he warrants (not to mention, if they did go and draft another PG, they're admitting what we should have known, that they only drafted Tyus Jones to make you guys feel warm and fuzzy inside)
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

PorkChop wrote:If and when this team makes the playoffs, is Rubios defense against guys like Westbrook, Curry, Parker,Lillard, Conley etc.. good enough to cancel out his 2-7 6pt nights?
Fact is when it comes to match ups in the playoffs he's gonna lose his almost every night. Can't score 6-8 when the opposing guard is scoring 20-30.

Can we cross that bridge if we get there?
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

I'm just being proactive. If you wait till you get to that bridge it's already to late. If this team is 2-3 years out before they're serious contenders then now is the time to decide if Ricky can lead this team. Otherwise you can bring in a Dunn type player now and have him ready by the end of that second or third year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
monsterpile wrote:I think that the people taking the position that Rubio just can't be the answer for this team as a true championship team have plenty of merit and I don't really disagree with that stance. However I do want to bring up one point that I do think gets lost in the conversation between Rubio's strengths and weaknesses...

Rubio is still a young player. He turned 25 last October. No I am not suggesting he has massive untapped potential bit something else. Rubio has lost valuable game experience to injury and the best team he played on was a somewhat disappointing team that went 40-42. There is oftent he narrative of young players learning how to win but it seems to not be talked about when it comes to Rubio. He hasn't really learned to win either. He is a young still and (assuming he can stay healthy) maybe learn what he can do in a variety of situations to help his team win throughout the game and particularly late in the game. I am not suggesting Rubio will end up being a decent shooter (except maybe from 3) or finish around the rim at some have decent rate but he may find ways to help a team even against top level competition in a ramped up playoff environment. Keep in mind this is the guy that somehow is able to draw fouls on people despite being one of the worst scorers in the floor at any time. This is one reason why I would like to see Rubio and this group together into next season and see what can happen. I am certainly no in a frame of mind where we keep Rubio at all costs but I'd stick with him for right now especially since there is still some questions about where you really need to fill a hole right now because of not absolutely knowing what you have with some players on the roster and what position they can play plus a lottery pick coming in (could end up being Rubio's replacement. Keep in mind Flip seemed to like Russel a lot of he was in a different draft slot...who knows right?

Side note:

Isaiah Thomas is now an all-star. I always liked him and it seems he is finally getting the chance to do his thing and getting recognition for it. Wouldn't it be fun to find a gem like him?

For cheap.

Even after being a 20/6 guy... he only got a 4 years/ $27M contract. That's a bargain in today's NBA even if Thomas wasn't a starter.

Yeah the cost of that deal was baffling as well as the Kings just letting him go for nothing. They ended up signing Colison and he has been a nice player for them but yeah. It felt like they never ever ever bought into Thomas as a player it seemed like he forced their hand and just had to play him because he played well.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

PorkChop wrote:There is rumor going around that Atlanta is shopping Teague. Would a Ricky trade involving him make sense? He's having a bit of a down year but he could bring some perimeter shooting to the table. I'm not even sure I like it but it's interesting. Only making 8 mil a year as well.

Yeah, for 1/2 the price. Sure.

BUT... he better work out. And, you better know what he's gong to be asking for... his contract is up after next season. He'll want to get paid. Otherwise, trading Rubio for one year of Teague before the team is even ready for the playoffs wouldn't be worth it.
TXviking [enjin:6602528]

Post by TXviking [enjin:6602528] »

I'm also 100% PorkChop. As much as I like Rubio, the Wolves will never sniff the title with Rubio. The title is what matters; this offseason could allow us to build that team. Remember, the title aspirations are not today, but tomorrow. By trading Rubio or being a player in the FA market this off-season, it allows us to add a major piece before our rookie deals explode. Thus, we could balance out our salary structure.

If we had the first quarter Rubio throughout the game we would not be having this conversation. Rubio's stats are great in the first quarter, after that he maintains his assists for another two quarters; but his scoring goes downhill from the second quarter on. And even in the 4th quarter his assists are fewer and harder to achieve. Opposing defenses don't guard him closely; they cheat and double down on a greater threat. Bottom-line opposing defenses are trying to force the ball into Rubio's hands and want Rubio to be the one that takes the shot.

Most importantly, now is the time to consider moving Rubio. Before we cannot do anything. The wolves need to build with the future in mind, not the present. Look at player positions, salaries, age, everything. Most importantly we cannot wait for the current players to develop (I know sounds stupid), we need to surround the current players and watch the development. If we are missing a skill/position get it now, before the rookie deals are up and we lose a player.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

TXviking wrote:I'm also 100% PorkChop. As much as I like Rubio, the Wolves will never sniff the title with Rubio. The title is what matters; this offseason could allow us to build that team. Remember, the title aspirations are not today, but tomorrow. By trading Rubio or being a player in the FA market this off-season, it allows us to add a major piece before our rookie deals explode. Thus, we could balance out our salary structure.

If we had the first quarter Rubio throughout the game we would not be having this conversation. Rubio's stats are great in the first quarter, after that he maintains his assists for another two quarters; but his scoring goes downhill from the second quarter on. And even in the 4th quarter his assists are fewer and harder to achieve. Opposing defenses don't guard him closely; they cheat and double down on a greater threat. Bottom-line opposing defenses are trying to force the ball into Rubio's hands and want Rubio to be the one that takes the shot.

Most importantly, now is the time to consider moving Rubio. Before we cannot do anything. The wolves need to build with the future in mind, not the present. Look at player positions, salaries, age, everything. Most importantly we cannot wait for the current players to develop (I know sounds stupid), we need to surround the current players and watch the development. If we are missing a skill/position get it now, before the rookie deals are up and we lose a player.

To play Devil's Advocate... it depends on when you think the young guys are ready.

With shorter NBA contracts designed to increase player movement... it's unlikely any free agent/trade player the Wolves get has a contract beyond 2 or 3 years at the most.

So you'd be looking at giving that guy a raise along with the young kids... or searching for his replacement.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I would love to see the Wolves go the development route on this one. I would hate to see them move on from such a talent without maximizing opportunity. I've been told by my television that Ricky's shooting numbers drop substantially from the 1st quarter to the end of the game. I think that is quite telling. I would love to see Ricky develop his endurance and body, specifically his lower body this next offseason. He has been rehabbing and resting his lower body for the better part of his NBA career. I can understand moving on from Ricky at some point but if we are worried about how he will perform when the team is ready to contend, there isn't a pressing need to move on yet. I'd like to see it through with him and see the Wolves be a professional organization for once instead of letting another organization reap the benefits like usual.