Minnesota Twins 2021 Season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Minnesota Twins 2021 Season

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Another good outing for Ober and the pen. Colome with an eventful save and the Twins get another win.

Has anyone watched the broadcasts with Glen Perkins in the booth? How has he done?

I'm not a big fan of Perkins in the booth...kind of an annoying voice and not particularly insightful.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Ober too. He seems to throw so effortlessly, and he continues to average over a strikeout per inning. Gotta believe he will be in our rotation next season. Our two other "experiments" have not fared as well. Barnes has been DFAed, and Jax looks like a AAA pitcher at best. Dobnak makes his return tonight, and the rumor is Joe Ryan may pitch tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to that as he has been lights out in St. Paul!

Ha. I watched ONLY two pitches last night. And I learned something (I assume because of Perkins).

The first pitch (change) floated outside the zone vs. a lefty. The next pitch (change) was low and inside in the dirt. "He didn't connect with that first pitch and it floated on him, so that's what happens when you overcompensate on the next pitch."
Monster

Post by Monster »

Joe Ryan had a solid MLB debut. I only watched the condensed game but every time they showed him he seemed absolutely comfortable. After the HR he didn't look defeated at all just ready to go throw the ball again. It didn't seem over confident either. I was impressed with his demeanor. He acted like he has been here before and he is supposed to be here but in a good way.

The Twins bats didn't exactly show up.

The Pen continued to do a nice job.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:Joe Ryan had a solid MLB debut. I only watched the condensed game but every time they showed him he seemed absolutely comfortable. After the HR he didn't look defeated at all just ready to go throw the ball again. It didn't seem over confident either. I was impressed with his demeanor. He acted like he has been here before and he is supposed to be here but in a good way.

The Twins bats didn't exactly show up.

The Pen continued to do a nice job.

I am sky high on Ryan's potential, so I went out there to watch his debut in person on a beautiful night. He had 4 terrific innings (a 7-pitch first inning...all strikes!) and one bad one. I'll watch the replay to see what happened on the two rockets he gave up in the third, but 2 mistakes in a rookie's first outing is pretty amazing. As I've mentioned before, his release point on his fastball is only 4'8" above the ground...lower than any current MLB starter...and pitchers with release points almost as low as his have names like Scherzer, Hader and Peralto! He has great velocity differential with a slow curve that sometimes is in the 60s and a nice 80 MPH change. And as you pointed out, his makeup and demeanor are extraordinary. He's an interesting guy who will be successful on guile rather than overpowering hitters, but I see potential stardom for this guy. I'd love to see him pitch every 5th day the rest of the season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Maeda did have TJ surgery but it's a new procedure which includes an internal brace so it's possible the recovery time could be less. I'm not getting my hopes up for him next season but it's a positive if he could even be actually be totally ready to go in 2023.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:Maeda did have TJ surgery but it's a new procedure which includes an internal brace so it's possible the recovery time could be less. I'm not getting my hopes up for him next season but it's a positive if he could even be actually be totally ready to go in 2023.

Monster I guess I could google this but is the same type of TJ surgery Rich Hill had?
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Maeda did have TJ surgery but it's a new procedure which includes an internal brace so it's possible the recovery time could be less. I'm not getting my hopes up for him next season but it's a positive if he could even be actually be totally ready to go in 2023.

Monster I guess I could google this but is the same type of TJ surgery Rich Hill had?

That's a good catch it is. In this article it explains the procedure.

https://twinsdaily.com/index.html/minnesota-twins-news-rumors/on-rich-hill39s-experimental-elbow-surgery-and-previous-injury-history-r8886/
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins cooling off a bit now losing 3 in a row.

Dobnak gave up 5 runs but if Sano takes an easy out instead of going home that's likely 1 less run. After giving up those runs he sent down 13 in a row finishing 7 innings on 88 pitches.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well it was a good run for Andrew Albers. Regardless of the weird balk calls it was like batting practice/HR derby tonight. I don't care enough to look and see if they have any other starting options or not but they may run him out there a couple more times if they don't. Polonco continues to crush the ball. Will he get to 30 Hrs this year? Seems really possible at this point which is kinda wild.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:Well it was a good run for Andrew Albers. Regardless of the weird balk calls it was like batting practice/HR derby tonight. I don't care enough to look and see if they have any other starting options or not but they may run him out there a couple more times if they don't. Polonco continues to crush the ball. Will he get to 30 Hrs this year? Seems really possible at this point which is kinda wild.

I think they're more committed to Jax than Albers, and Pineda is ready yo come back, so I think they'll go with Jax, Pineda, Ryan, Ober and Dobnak the rest of the year. I'd rather see Gant than Albers if they need a 6th guy,
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Well it was a good run for Andrew Albers. Regardless of the weird balk calls it was like batting practice/HR derby tonight. I don't care enough to look and see if they have any other starting options or not but they may run him out there a couple more times if they don't. Polonco continues to crush the ball. Will he get to 30 Hrs this year? Seems really possible at this point which is kinda wild.

I think they're more committed to Jax than Albers, and Pineda is ready yo come back, so I think they'll go with Jax, Pineda, Ryan, Ober and Dobnak the rest of the year. I'd rather see Gant than Albers if they need a 6th guy,

It's not hard to figure out who they are more committed to. You know Albers is...checks again...about to turn 36 years old.