Minnesota Twins 2021 Season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
FNG

Re: Minnesota Twins 2021 Season

Post by FNG »

More reason for 2022 optimism: the Twins bullpen that surprised me by being so ineffective the first half of the year has led the league in win probability added since the trade deadline! Add Moran to the mix, and our bullpen should be excellent next year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:More reason for 2022 optimism: the Twins bullpen that surprised me by being so ineffective the first half of the year has led the league in win probability added since the trade deadline! Add Moran to the mix, and our bullpen should be excellent next year.

A healthy Rodgers is a pretty big boast also.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:The Twins start a lineup with four guys batting .216 or below, and put up 9 runs to back up another nice outing from Pineda. Marvelous Jorge Polanco sets a Twins record for most HRs by a switch hitter, and Buck seems to be finally hitting again after his hand injury.

My excitement level for next season will be high if we can add 1-2 starters...the money should be there. I see Pineda/Ober/Ryan as a nice start to a rotation.

Most significant thing about this game was the Twins finally started Gordon a game at SS this was his first major league start there. I thought it was interesting that it came with the only vet starting pitcher on the roster. I think it's pretty clear they don't think he is a legit SS. It was nice to see him hit a no doubter HR. The jury is still out on whether or not he can hit but I still have some belief that he has enough of a bat to at least make him a worthwhile guy in a utility role which would be nice because Arraez might be playing a lot more at 3rd in the future.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:
FNG wrote:The Twins start a lineup with four guys batting .216 or below, and put up 9 runs to back up another nice outing from Pineda. Marvelous Jorge Polanco sets a Twins record for most HRs by a switch hitter, and Buck seems to be finally hitting again after his hand injury.

My excitement level for next season will be high if we can add 1-2 starters...the money should be there. I see Pineda/Ober/Ryan as a nice start to a rotation.

Most significant thing about this game was the Twins finally started Gordon a game at SS this was his first major league start there. I thought it was interesting that it came with the only vet starting pitcher on the roster. I think it's pretty clear they don't think he is a legit SS. It was nice to see him hit a no doubter HR. The jury is still out on whether or not he can hit but I still have some belief that he has enough of a bat to at least make him a worthwhile guy in a utility role which would be nice because Arraez might be playing a lot more at 3rd in the future.

Yeah, I really want to see Gordon as our utility guy next year...I like him a lot, just not as a starter. And remember, we're probably going to see Miranda at Target Field next week, and we're likely to have to find a place in the lineup next season. I think he's ready.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Yeah, I really want to see Gordon as our utility guy next year...I like him a lot, just not as a starter. And remember, we're probably going to see Miranda at Target Field next week, and we're likely to have to find a place in the lineup next season. I think he's ready.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Twins do with a bunch of guys like Cave Garlick Astudillo Refsnyder and probably a couple pitchers too. I think they probably hold onto Astudillo because he is so versatile but they can't keep 3 fringe OFs on the 40 man because I'm sure they will need to add a couple guys to protect them on the 40 man.
Monster

Post by Monster »

That was a gutsy loss for the Twins. Gant leaves in the first inning and the pen did a pretty good job. In the condensed game There was a pitch call he didn't get that looked like a strike to me and that one pitch would have made the difference in how many runs scored in that inning.

Polonco continues to crush the ball.

Starter Luis Gil was the pitcher the Twins gave up to get Jake Cave.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

monsterpile wrote:It's going to be interesting to see what the Twins do with a bunch of guys like Cave Garlick Astudillo Refsnyder and probably a couple pitchers too. I think they probably hold onto Astudillo because he is so versatile but they can't keep 3 fringe OFs on the 40 man because I'm sure they will need to add a couple guys to protect them on the 40 man.

What's problematic is that none of those guys are quality MLB players and they shouldn't even be on the team. They're highly replaceable. But the Twins will undoubtedly bring back several of them and roll out the same group of scrubs next year.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:It's going to be interesting to see what the Twins do with a bunch of guys like Cave Garlick Astudillo Refsnyder and probably a couple pitchers too. I think they probably hold onto Astudillo because he is so versatile but they can't keep 3 fringe OFs on the 40 man because I'm sure they will need to add a couple guys to protect them on the 40 man.

What's problematic is that none of those guys are quality MLB players and they shouldn't even be on the team. They're highly replaceable. But the Twins will undoubtedly bring back several of them and roll out the same group of scrubs next year.

I think I would keep Refsnyder and Astudillo dump Garlick and Cave. If they let go of either of the guys I said I would keep I would I won't be posting a diatribe about how they shouldn't have let them go. Also I would want to see a list of guys they need to protect from the rule 5 draft and how many 40 man spots they have before I made a final decision.

I would say that Astudillo is probably a bit more unique and less replaceable than the typical fringe MLB player because he can play multiple infield spots including catcher. The hitting numbers are not great although he has added more power this season. Plus the guy can really pitch! Lol I do also think he might be a good dude to have around the team and there may be some value in that. Again I'm not saying the guy is a keeper far from it but I do think he has some value. Enough to keep him over protecting player X,Y or Z? Idk.

Edit: Looking at the numbers again I'd let Refsnyder go. He is struggling more the last 2 months than I realized.
Monster

Post by Monster »

It sounds like Joe Ryan escaped serious injury taking a ball off his wrist. It looked potentially quite bad. Looked like a nice pitching duel from 2 young pitchers before that. Nice to see the Twins get a split of that series all things considered. Charlie Barnes did enough to give the Twins a chance in the 2nd game and then the Pen did their thing again.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Last night the 2021 Twins returned to their form. Errors batting practice pitching and not much from the bats completed a lopsided loss. Gordon got another start at SS I wonder if he is going to get more starts there. Jax was the victim of some errors and ai think he was a little better in this game than he has been but he isn't doing well in his audition for a spot with the team in 2022.