Rudy Gobert for Number 1 Discussed

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheFuture

Re: Rudy Gobert for Number 1 Discussed

Post by TheFuture »

BizarroJerry wrote:
TheFuture wrote:Wiseman and KAT would heavily impact or change the NBA.

Passing on him is a big mistake.

His shot is definitely overlooked.

He is by far the best talent.

I'm coming around on the Wiseman idea. I didn't like it at first playing two bigs but I kinda wanna keep this roster and not deal Culver or Okogie.

I am also high on Okogie and Culver. This large offseason may be a godsend for those two. Unlike Wiggins, they seem to have a passion to improve.

We are in a unique position because of KAT's offensive game.
I think KAT and Wiseman change the game in our favor.

https://youtu.be/ygryUmwfN7o

https://youtu.be/zvVylKWyq7A

Though many disagree based off of his limited college tape, he can shoot.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Yeah, I've seen enough at this point. The Wolves have to take Wiseman and just figure it out with KAT. You simply do not find someone with that combination of height, athleticism, and skill-set. He is a very rare bird and less raw than, say, Giannis was when he came into the NBA. I know it's only three games, but he clearly didn't belong on a college floor as he made the other players look like a bunch of rec leaguers:

Per 36 minutes: 31 points on 77% shooting, 17 rebounds, 4.7 blocks,

I'll be really pissed if we take Edwards or Ball over him.
worldK

Post by worldK »

At this point, If we stay at 1 then just draft Wiseman and figure out a way to make it work. Im not convinced on ball or edwards. They are just not number 1 pick talent. Wiseman has the talent. Had he played more games then he would be the no brainer number 1 pick. Our pick would also have a lot more value than it has now.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.

Camden, you have had great insight on talent in recent drafts. #1 is a gimme in my opinion. What about #17? Any player that you would draft that is slated to go later?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.

I'm among those on this board who have revised their thinking on Wiseman and I now believe the Wolves should simply take him at #1 and forget about picking anyone else or trading down. As Q indicated, it's rare to find someone with Wiseman's combination of length, athleticism and skill. And regardless of the level of college competition Wiseman faced in his three collegiate games, it was still Division 1 competition and he dominated statistically, putting up numbers reminiscent of Anthony Davis at Kentucky. We'll never know how he would have performed over an entire college season, but based on his physical measureables, video highlights and stats in those three games, I suspect he would have put up numbers that would have made him the clear consensus #1 pick in the draft. And apparently, he's been really impressive in workouts in Miami. I still like Okongwu and see him as a potential Bam. But Wiseman really is the clear choice and Ithink it would be a mistake to pass on him.

Like you, I hope Rosas comes around as I have and others on this board have. It's not often that you, me, Cool, Q, World, Future and others agree like this. We can't all be wrong, can we? :). Seriously, I have to believe that Rosas and his front office cohorts will come to the same conclusion most of us have as they think and discuss things over the next few weeks. But I just don't have a good feeling about the judgment of Rosas and his front office team.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.

I'm among those on this board who have revised their thinking on Wiseman and I now believe the Wolves should simply take him at #1 and forget about picking anyone else or trading down. As Q indicated, it's rare to find someone with Wiseman's combination of length, athleticism and skill. And regardless of the level of college competition Wiseman faced in his three collegiate games, it was still Division 1 competition and he dominated statistically, putting up numbers reminiscent of Anthony Davis at Kentucky. We'll never know how he would have performed over an entire college season, but based on his physical measureables, video highlights and stats in those three games, I suspect he would have put up numbers that would have made him the clear consensus #1 pick in the draft. And apparently, he's been really impressive in workouts in Miami. I still like Okongwu and see him as a potential Bam. But Wiseman really is the clear choice and Ithink it would be a mistake to pass on him.

Like you, I hope Rosas comes around as I have and others on this board have. It's not often that you, me, Cool, Q, World, Future and others agree like this. We can't all be wrong, can we? :). Seriously, I have to believe that Rosas and his front office cohorts will come to the same conclusion most of us have as they think and discuss things over the next few weeks. But I just don't have a good feeling about the judgment of Rosas and his front office team.

Great post.

At this point I will be terribly confused if Rosas takes Ball or Edwards. What do either of them give us?

I feel confident in our 1/2 slots with Dlo, Jmac, Beasley, Okogie, Culver.

I cannot say that about any other part of our roster, outside of the starting 5 in KAT.

Wiseman and KAT fit. An in and out game with two big men would be incredible in today's game.

Control the boards, control the paint, kill us by the three while you give up easy points
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

TheFuture wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Great post.

At this point I will be terribly confused if Rosas takes Ball or Edwards. What do either of them give us?

I cannot say that about any other part of our roster, outside of the starting 5 in KAT.

Wiseman and KAT fit. An in and out game with two big men would be incredible in today's game.

Control the boards, control the paint, kill us by the three while you give up easy points

I just don't think Rosas is viewing the top pick as someone he plans on keeping. He wants to draft a player with a lot of upside, but also someone that teams would take back in a big trade for a 3rd star. Wiseman doesn't do anything for say Phoenix or Philly. If the Wolves take Wiseman, great, but in doing so, you're all-in on Wiseman being the third star. At least with Edwards or Ball, he's hedging his bets while still hoping either can emerge in their own right.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Camden0916 wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:Draft Wiseman if you stay at #1, and figure the rest out later. He is the best talent. By far.

The problem is that if the goal is to still pursue a third star eventually like a Booker or Simmons, Wiseman becomes a negative asset since teams like Phoenix and Philly won't want Wiseman. They're still treating this top pick as an asset they hope doesn't depreciate enough to take them out of a potential trade for someone like Booker, Beal or Simmons

I think we disagree on what a negative asset is, to begin with. Andrew Wiggins was a negative asset in that the Wolves were looking to offload him even if it meant attaching draft compensation with him. That is not happening with James Wiseman. In the case of making a move for Ben Simmons or Devin Booker, Wiseman would simply be dangled to a third team for assets that would head in another direction. That's why three-team trades are a thing.

For example, it might make sense for the Wizards to be an option in any Simmons trade with Bradley Beal heading back to Philadelphia.

Adding a third team makes it more complex, even more than that, you're hoping a third team offers the better asset while not getting the star themselves. Who is dumb enough to do that? If someone is willing to give the kind of assets that get you closer to a good offer for the #1, that's something the team should explore now.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Great post.

I just don't think Rosas is viewing the top pick as someone he plans on keeping. He wants to draft a player with a lot of upside, but also someone that teams would take back in a big trade for a 3rd star. Wiseman doesn't do anything for say Phoenix or Philly. If the Wolves take Wiseman, great, but in doing so, you're all-in on Wiseman being the third star. At least with Edwards or Ball, he's hedging his bets while still hoping either can emerge in their own right.

If our GM is hedging his bets for a trade at #1, then fire him.

If you can get a great player in a package trade with the #1, ok, but you should not be picking a player without a trade in hand.

Without one, you take the best talent. In my opinion, that is Wiseman.