Let Me Be The First

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Let Me Be The First

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
TXviking wrote:I'm also 100% PorkChop. As much as I like Rubio, the Wolves will never sniff the title with Rubio. The title is what matters; this offseason could allow us to build that team. Remember, the title aspirations are not today, but tomorrow. By trading Rubio or being a player in the FA market this off-season, it allows us to add a major piece before our rookie deals explode. Thus, we could balance out our salary structure.

If we had the first quarter Rubio throughout the game we would not be having this conversation. Rubio's stats are great in the first quarter, after that he maintains his assists for another two quarters; but his scoring goes downhill from the second quarter on. And even in the 4th quarter his assists are fewer and harder to achieve. Opposing defenses don't guard him closely; they cheat and double down on a greater threat. Bottom-line opposing defenses are trying to force the ball into Rubio's hands and want Rubio to be the one that takes the shot.

Most importantly, now is the time to consider moving Rubio. Before we cannot do anything. The wolves need to build with the future in mind, not the present. Look at player positions, salaries, age, everything. Most importantly we cannot wait for the current players to develop (I know sounds stupid), we need to surround the current players and watch the development. If we are missing a skill/position get it now, before the rookie deals are up and we lose a player.

To play Devil's Advocate... it depends on when you think the young guys are ready.

With shorter NBA contracts designed to increase player movement... it's unlikely any free agent/trade player the Wolves get has a contract beyond 2 or 3 years at the most.

So you'd be looking at giving that guy a raise along with the young kids... or searching for his replacement.

Plus who is to say Rubio isn't a good player to help these guys develop? If we are looking to add a young PG say via the draft that's fine but we also wouldn't have to move Rubio immediately if they do that. Other than the draft what young PG can we get for this team going forward?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
TXviking wrote:I'm also 100% PorkChop. As much as I like Rubio, the Wolves will never sniff the title with Rubio. The title is what matters; this offseason could allow us to build that team. Remember, the title aspirations are not today, but tomorrow. By trading Rubio or being a player in the FA market this off-season, it allows us to add a major piece before our rookie deals explode. Thus, we could balance out our salary structure.

If we had the first quarter Rubio throughout the game we would not be having this conversation. Rubio's stats are great in the first quarter, after that he maintains his assists for another two quarters; but his scoring goes downhill from the second quarter on. And even in the 4th quarter his assists are fewer and harder to achieve. Opposing defenses don't guard him closely; they cheat and double down on a greater threat. Bottom-line opposing defenses are trying to force the ball into Rubio's hands and want Rubio to be the one that takes the shot.

Most importantly, now is the time to consider moving Rubio. Before we cannot do anything. The wolves need to build with the future in mind, not the present. Look at player positions, salaries, age, everything. Most importantly we cannot wait for the current players to develop (I know sounds stupid), we need to surround the current players and watch the development. If we are missing a skill/position get it now, before the rookie deals are up and we lose a player.

To play Devil's Advocate... it depends on when you think the young guys are ready.

With shorter NBA contracts designed to increase player movement... it's unlikely any free agent/trade player the Wolves get has a contract beyond 2 or 3 years at the most.

So you'd be looking at giving that guy a raise along with the young kids... or searching for his replacement.

Plus who is to say Rubio isn't a good player to help these guys develop? If we are looking to add a young PG say via the draft that's fine but we also wouldn't have to move Rubio immediately if they do that. Other than the draft what young PG can we get for this team going forward?

Fair argument.

Devil's Advocate speaks up again though... it might be good for those young guys to be able to learn from and hitch their wagons to the veteran leader in a close 4th quarter game every once in awhile.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Phenom's_Revenge wrote:I would love to see the Wolves go the development route on this one. I would hate to see them move on from such a talent without maximizing opportunity. I've been told by my television that Ricky's shooting numbers drop substantially from the 1st quarter to the end of the game. I think that is quite telling. I would love to see Ricky develop his endurance and body, specifically his lower body this next offseason. He has been rehabbing and resting his lower body for the better part of his NBA career. I can understand moving on from Ricky at some point but if we are worried about how he will perform when the team is ready to contend, there isn't a pressing need to move on yet. I'd like to see it through with him and see the Wolves be a professional organization for once instead of letting another organization reap the benefits like usual.

So you think it's Ricky body letting him down late in games, not defenses playing him differently ?
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I think it is about rhythm with Ricky. He feels it at the beginning of the game coming off warm ups. Than doesn't look for his shot enough and he is out of rhythm when the 4th quarter comes around. I think that gets fixed with repetition.
Mstermisty [enjin:6864008]

Post by Mstermisty [enjin:6864008] »

Let me be the last. I still love what Ricky brings to the table and I think he can be a big part of a contending a team. Do we need to improve the point guard position overall? Definitely. Would I draft Dunn if he's the best player available when we pick? In a heartbeat.

We have Ricky on very reasonable contract by today's standards. Why would we want to give up on a guy that consistently makes the team better when he's on the court? (other than KG and Prince he's the only player who is positive on +/- for the season...Lavine no surprise has the worst number)

Ricky's part of the solution, not the problem. But again, the franchise needs to improve the position for this team to take the next step.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Could we get Conley for Ricky now? I wonder if Memphis considers it. Gasol and Ricky would probably be a marketable pair.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Mstermisty wrote:Let me be the last. I still love what Ricky brings to the table and I think he can be a big part of a contending a team. Do we need to improve the point guard position overall? Definitely. Would I draft Dunn if he's the best player available when we pick? In a heartbeat.

We have Ricky on very reasonable contract by today's standards. Why would we want to give up on a guy that consistently makes the team better when he's on the court? (other than KG and Prince he's the only player who is positive on +/- for the season...Lavine no surprise has the worst number)

Ricky's part of the solution, not the problem. But again, the franchise needs to improve the position for this team to take the next step.

To borrow a theme from Abe, compare him to the best point guards in the league, not the other point guards on the team. No true contender has a PG who isn't a threat to score in the 4th quarter.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Mstermisty wrote:Let me be the last. I still love what Ricky brings to the table and I think he can be a big part of a contending a team. Do we need to improve the point guard position overall? Definitely. Would I draft Dunn if he's the best player available when we pick? In a heartbeat.

To borrow a theme from Abe, compare him to the best point guards in the league, not the other point guards on the team. No true contender has a PG who isn't a threat to score in the 4th quarter.

We're a long away away from having this be a point of concern.

How about not being embarrassing?
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:

We're a long away away from having this be a point of concern.

How about not being embarrassing?

Setting the bar low there, Minnesota apathy?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

The last 10 NBA champion pg

Curry
Parker (3)
Chalmers (2)
JJ Barea
Derrick Fisher (2)
Jason Williams
Rondo

Now I am also have my doubts on ricky but the pg positive dosen't have to be great to win it all. All ricky needs to do is sit 3's at a respectable rate. Screw everything else, just practice threes so if you are left open you can make them pay. IMO ricky has 2 years to improve his 3pt shot if not he needs to be replaced