Minnesota Twins 2021 Season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Minnesota Twins 2021 Season

Post by Monster »

Charlie Barnes with a nice 4 innings tonight and the Twins gets manufacture a couple runs and Colome makes things too interesting it made Sano's crushed solo HR matter. 5 more games to go.
FNG

Post by FNG »

monsterpile wrote:Charlie Barnes with a nice 4 innings tonight and the Twins gets manufacture a couple runs and Colome makes things too interesting it made Sano's crushed solo HR matter. 5 more games to go.

I was out there last night (another gorgeous night BTW) in bad seats, so I couldn't really tell how Barnes was getting people out. It looked like he had a nice bite on his slider though. I'll have to watch a little of the replay to see how he looked.

I loved Buxton manufacturing the first run. He walks, steals second (easily), goes to third on a short fly to right, and scored easily on a medium deep fly to center. He is extraordinary.

And then a Tiger pitcher foolishly tries to get a fastball past Sano on a night Miguel is missing every change up and breaking ball thrown to him, and he destroys a seat in the second deck in left field with a homer that took about 2 seconds to leave the park? Why would you ever throw Sano a fastball?
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Charlie Barnes with a nice 4 innings tonight and the Twins gets manufacture a couple runs and Colome makes things too interesting it made Sano's crushed solo HR matter. 5 more games to go.

I was out there last night (another gorgeous night BTW) in bad seats, so I couldn't really tell how Barnes was getting people out. It looked like he had a nice bite on his slider though. I'll have to watch a little of the replay to see how he looked.

I loved Buxton manufacturing the first run. He walks, steals second (easily), goes to third on a short fly to right, and scored easily on a medium deep fly to center. He is extraordinary.

And then a Tiger pitcher foolishly tries to get a fastball past Sano on a night Miguel is missing every change up and breaking ball thrown to him, and he destroys a seat in the second deck in left field with a homer that took about 2 seconds to leave the park? Why would you ever throw Sano a fastball?

It's a similar type thing that leads to Sano swinging at pitches...pitching and hitting is hard.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jax with a nice 5 innings yesterday and the Twins put together 4 in's to get a win on a nifty double play to end the game. I'd love to know how the Twins Pen ends up ranked in a few areas since the trade deadline.
Monster

Post by Monster »

What a finish to the season!!!! It was another amazing starting matchup of Charlie Barnes and Jackson Kowar that I saw in Omaha. Barnes was the less bad pitcher today.

Buxton is really good when healthy.

Another good game for the Pen. I finally found fangraphs would let me look up how they did from July 31 on.

4th in innings pitched

Tied for the least losses with 5.

7th in ERA

4th in left on base percentage

They were about the middle of the league in all the other stats.

All in all not bad for a group of Colome (who bounced back to some extent but still is dicey at times) Duffy and then basically a bunch of cast offs and a young prospect or 2 trying to find their way.

Also congrats to the Twins avoiding being a 90 win loss group with a solid finish to the season.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

This organization has a lot of work to do this winter. I expect many moves to be made either to get better for 2022 (unlikely) or to sell off pieces and begin preparing for the 2023 season (more likely).
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I love a good rebuild. Who stays?
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I love a good rebuild. Who stays?

I think they resign Buxton or get the moon and other stuff for him in a trade. He was unbelievable this year when healthy. Will he stay healthy? Probably not but someone is going to hope he will.

Personally I wonder if the Twins rebuild on the fly but mostly do it with young players. They will likely sign-at least 1 starter and need to do something at SS but they may see what they can do with some of the young talent they have combined with guys that don't have a ton of trade value. They may continue to try and get guys on the margins too especially for the bullpen.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Fun facts of the day on buxton

His slugging percentage with 250 appearances or more is the 2nd highest ever from centerfield

Only one higher is 1994 Ken Griffey Jr

He also has a WAR of 4.2 which ranks him 18th and he only played 58 games if you extrapolate it to full season.

I believe Vlad JR has 6.8 this year.

My points is this team goes we're Buxton goes and the starting pitching. If healthy I truly believe Byron Buxton is Top 5 player in baseball.

Also the Twins had 20 games this year were they gave up more than 10+ runs.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Buxton is a bad bad man.

I would take a haul for them in rebuild mode though. I think part of that is you go cheap on position players and spend payroll on pitching.