Rudy Gobert for Number 1 Discussed

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Rudy Gobert for Number 1 Discussed

Post by Monster »

FWIW I'm personally still not convinced on Wiseman. If pressed would I say he might be the best pick at #1? Sure. That's more about the other guys than my love for Wiseman. It does seem there is some real buzz about what he is doing in workouts with other players so that is pushing me towards him as the top guy but I'd still trade down IF a good offer actually presented itself. I have no idea what that might be. I still think if the Wolves see Wiseman as the talent Cam does they are gonna take him (Assuming nobody offers them something exciting) and figure it out. We will know soon enough.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Here's what's got me worried.

The top two teams in the draft are supposedly cool trading down.
There is no consensus #1 pick.
One franchise (#2) has a recent run of savvy front office moves.
One franchise (#1) has an unproven front office in place... but an owner who is well known for very poor personnel decisions.

So not only are the Wolves trying to get a leg up on other teams... one of the more successful franchises is actively trying to usurp anything the Wolves do.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Here's what's got me worried.

One franchise (#1) has an unproven front office in place... but an owner who is well known for very poor personnel decisions.

So not only are the Wolves trying to get a leg up on other teams... one of the more successful franchises is actively trying to usurp anything the Wolves do.

Even the wisest franchises make mistakes. The Warriors very recently traded a first-round pick to dump Andre Iguodala and later acquired Andrew Wiggins and his max contract for the price of a young All-Star that never fit their core and a protected first-round pick. The entire sequence of moves Golden State made after Kevin Durant decided to leave is questionable at best.

Collectively...

In: Andrew Wiggins, 2021 first-round pick (top-3 protected; becomes unprotected in 2022 if does not convey in 2021), 2021 second-round pick

Out: D'Angelo Russell, Andre Iguodala, 2024 first-round pick (top-four protected)

TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.

Camden, you have had great insight on talent in recent drafts. #1 is a gimme in my opinion. What about #17? Any player that you would draft that is slated to go later?

I appreciate that, Future. And I'm relieved that we agree on the first overall pick. It should be a gimme as you said. We just have to hope that the Wolves front office doesn't overanalyze or exclude a prospect due to some sort of conflict with their self-proclaimed "system" or reincarnated Houston Rockets vision.

There are a number of players that I want or would be satisfied with at 17. Assuming the Wolves select James Wiseman to begin the draft -- and that they don't make an effort to trade up in the 10-12 range for a Devin Vassell or Saddiq Bey -- my eyes are on Tyrell Terry, Desmond Bane, Josh Green and Tyler Bey at 17.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.

Camden, you have had great insight on talent in recent drafts. #1 is a gimme in my opinion. What about #17? Any player that you would draft that is slated to go later?

I appreciate that, Future. And I'm relieved that we agree on the first overall pick. It should be a gimme as you said. We just have to hope that the Wolves front office doesn't overanalyze or exclude a prospect due to some sort of conflict with their self-proclaimed "system" or reincarnated Houston Rockets vision.

There are a number of players that I want or would be satisfied with at 17. Assuming the Wolves select James Wiseman to begin the draft -- and that they don't make an effort to trade up in the 10-12 range for a Devin Vassell or Saddiq Bey -- my eyes are on Tyrell Terry, Desmond Bane, Josh Green and Tyler Bey at 17.

I agree on all of them. Though Terry seems to be the one who might climb above our other first rounder.

Does Banes length worry you at all? Does anything about Beys shot/overall offensive game worry you after the Okogie and Culver picks of recent?

How about Josh Greens game? Great talent and size, but what is he missing?
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:

Even the wisest franchises make mistakes. The Warriors very recently traded a first-round pick to dump Andre Iguodala and later acquired Andrew Wiggins and his max contract for the price of a young All-Star that never fit their core and a protected first-round pick. The entire sequence of moves Golden State made after Kevin Durant decided to leave is questionable at best.

Collectively...

In: Andrew Wiggins, 2021 first-round pick (top-3 protected; becomes unprotected in 2022 if does not convey in 2021), 2021 second-round pick

Out: D'Angelo Russell, Andre Iguodala, 2024 first-round pick (top-four protected)

Cam - You're right that even the best front offices make mistakes. But I'm not sure I'd consider the moves you mentioned mistakes. I think the Warriors picked up Russell as a trade chip, knowing the Wolves would give up a lot to get him. And it ultimately worked out for them as they proceeded to trade him to the Wolves for both of the Wolves 2021 draft picks - the 1st round pick only top-3 protected (totally unprotected the next year) and the 2nd round pick totally unprotected. And they got those picks from a team that ended up with the 3rd worst record in 2020. Wiggins won't hurt the Warriors the way he hurt the Wolves because they won't depend on him. And in their culture, he might actually help them. Two years from now, he'll be a potentially valuable expiring contract. I would agree that trading a future lightly-protected 1st round pick to jettison Iggy was a mistake because I think it's always a mistake to trade future 1st round picks to get rid of players. But it's less of a mistake when done by a championship contending team like the Warriors than by a lottery team like the Wolves when they traded a future 1st to get rid of Wes Johnson.

So I'm largely with Abe in believing the Warriors' interest in trading down or out will make it even more difficult for the Wolves to do so successfully. I don't yet trust the Rosas regime, I absolutely don't trust Glen Taylor and I totally trust the Warriors front office to be savvy in spite of the reality that they haven't been totally mistake free in recent years. All the more reason for the Wolves to simply take Wiseman at #1 and keep him. However, since the Wolves have the top pick, they do have an edge over the Warriors in trade scenarios with teams seeking one of the top three prospects.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Camden wrote:

Collectively...

I love what Golden State has done. I wouldn't call the DLO trade a mistake in any way from the perspective of the Warriors. The draft pick they acquired could be very valuable as the Wolves probably suck in both 2020 and 2021 and with both drafts projected to be stocked with talent, this is a very valuable asset.

KG4Ever wrote:
Camden wrote:

Collectively...

I love what Golden State has done. I wouldn't call the DLO trade a mistake in any way from the perspective of the Warriors. The draft pick they acquired could be very valuable as the Wolves probably suck in both 2020 and 2021 and with both drafts projected to be stocked with talent, this is a very valuable asset.

Out of curiosity, what draft pick do the Timberwolves need to wind up with in 2021 for you to change your stance on this trade? Let's say that Minnesota doesn't suck nearly as bad as expected, but yet also aren't a playoff team next season.

For instance, the Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns won 46-percent of their games in 2019-20 and wound up with the 10th and 14th overall pick, respectively. That win percentage would translate to 37 wins over an 82-game schedule.

Let's continue this hypothetical with the presumption of relatively good health for the Wolves next season. If the Wolves won 37 games and wound up with the 14th overall pick, and that pick along with their second-round pick was sent to Golden State, would you still consider the trade for D'Angelo Russell a bad one?

What pick would the Wolves need to have to change your mind? 10? 14? 25?

I'm specifically asking you this since you've been a consistent critic when it comes to that D-Lo trade, but that doesn't mean that others can't chime in. I'm very curious if there's any wiggle room in your assessment or if there's nothing that can change from now until next year's draft to alter your opinion.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

TheFuture wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:I'm proud of this board for coming around on James Wiseman. Now I just hope Gersson Rosas and the rest of the front office can come to that conclusion as well. Rosas especially likes to talk about being flexible and exploring all avenues of approach. Well, he needs to reshape his "system" and vision for this team to include another skilled seven-footer.

I'm among those on this board who have revised their thinking on Wiseman and I now believe the Wolves should simply take him at #1 and forget about picking anyone else or trading down. As Q indicated, it's rare to find someone with Wiseman's combination of length, athleticism and skill. And regardless of the level of college competition Wiseman faced in his three collegiate games, it was still Division 1 competition and he dominated statistically, putting up numbers reminiscent of Anthony Davis at Kentucky. We'll never know how he would have performed over an entire college season, but based on his physical measureables, video highlights and stats in those three games, I suspect he would have put up numbers that would have made him the clear consensus #1 pick in the draft. And apparently, he's been really impressive in workouts in Miami. I still like Okongwu and see him as a potential Bam. But Wiseman really is the clear choice and Ithink it would be a mistake to pass on him.

Like you, I hope Rosas comes around as I have and others on this board have. It's not often that you, me, Cool, Q, World, Future and others agree like this. We can't all be wrong, can we? :). Seriously, I have to believe that Rosas and his front office cohorts will come to the same conclusion most of us have as they think and discuss things over the next few weeks. But I just don't have a good feeling about the judgment of Rosas and his front office team.

Great post.

At this point I will be terribly confused if Rosas takes Ball or Edwards. What do either of them give us?

I feel confident in our 1/2 slots with Dlo, Jmac, Beasley, Okogie, Culver.

I cannot say that about any other part of our roster, outside of the starting 5 in KAT.

Wiseman and KAT fit. An in and out game with two big men would be incredible in today's game.

Control the boards, control the paint, kill us by the three while you give up easy points

I just don't think Rosas is viewing the top pick as someone he plans on keeping. He wants to draft a player with a lot of upside, but also someone that teams would take back in a big trade for a 3rd star. Wiseman doesn't do anything for say Phoenix or Philly. If the Wolves take Wiseman, great, but in doing so, you're all-in on Wiseman being the third star. At least with Edwards or Ball, he's hedging his bets while still hoping either can emerge in their own right.

If our GM is hedging his bets for a trade at #1, then fire him.

If you can get a great player in a package trade with the #1, ok, but you should not be picking a player without a trade in hand.

Without one, you take the best talent. In my opinion, that is Wiseman.

Absolutely right, Future. You don't pick a player for the purpose of trading him without having a trade in hand to get the player or players you want in exchange. I too would fire Rosas immediately if he did that. It would actually be his second offense because he did the same thing last year when he traded up for Garland without knowing for sure that he'd end up with Garland. If not for last year's draft, I wouldn't worry about Rosas doing what WildWolf suggested. Unfortunately, I have to worry. Hopefully having Gupta around for this draft will stop really dump stuff from happening.