Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Timberwolves Draft Prospect Analysis Thread

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I just heard one guy suggest Clarke at #3. Jonathon Tsarks from The Ringer.

Said there were shades of Shawn Marion in his game. Considering he'd be next to Towns... and in an era of the NBA when James Harden and PJ Tucker are effective post defenders... and that he can switch between multiple positions... and that the draft is shaky with a lot of unknowns... and I'm not entirely against it.

The measurements aren't inspiring though... And I'm well aware of the team's need to address its perimeter creating and shooting woes.

It's also been a lousy defensive squad. Things won't be fixed all at once.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I just heard one guy suggest Clarke at #3. Jonathon Tsarks from The Ringer.

Said there were shades of Shawn Marion in his game. Considering he'd be next to Towns... and in an era of the NBA when James Harden and PJ Tucker are effective post defenders... and that he can switch between multiple positions... and that the draft is shaky with a lot of unknowns... and I'm not entirely against it.

The measurements aren't inspiring though... And I'm well aware of the team's need to address its perimeter creating and shooting woes.

It's also been a lousy defensive squad. Things won't be fixed all at once.

The difference with Marion and Tucker is that they both have over a 7 foot wingspan.

Tucker also took time to develop into what he is now, a great role player who fits that system. Marion was also a decent shooter even with his shit form.

Clarke is 22, and just now started to put up stats on 18-20 year olds.

I don't hate him, but I don't see him as the BPA - highest upside there.

We have no cap, a lack of potential breakout talent, and a plethora of issues, I.e. no pg for the future, no pf for the future, potentially no sg of the future, lack of knockdown 3pt shooters, etc. Go for high ceiling and/or surefire 3pt shooting in my opinion. Roll the dice to get KAT a true second running mate or go the Dwight Howard Orlando way and stack shooters around him.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Watching the combine on ESPN just now, Clarke was on in an interview. I'm even a little higher on him now. He is currently leading all players in vertical- 40.5, shuttle time and lane agility time. His standing reach is 8-6 so yeah, what was expected really. He has natural defensive ability. He was talking about how his shot has greatly improved as well which is the biggest question mark on him (what else would he say though, lol).

He said playing hard is his greatest asset. I like that.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

WolvesFan21 wrote:Watching the combine on ESPN just now, Clarke was on in an interview. I'm even a little higher on him now. He is currently leading all players in vertical- 40.5, shuttle time and lane agility time. His standing reach is 8-6 so yeah, what was expected really. He has natural defensive ability. He was talking about how his shot has greatly improved as well which is the biggest question mark on him (what else would he say though, lol).

Every player taken at #11 has THAT THING that drops him there. Heck, even Barrett or Morant have things about their games.

It's a crapshoot. Sometimes, we have a sneaky vibe about a guy (good or bad), and sometimes that pans out. But if we look back at all the #11 picks in the draft, every one of them had a flaw going into their rookie season.

I'm cool with choosing the "at the very least he can be a rotation player in the L" at this spot in the draft. I think I'm in the minority here though.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:Watching the combine on ESPN just now, Clarke was on in an interview. I'm even a little higher on him now. He is currently leading all players in vertical- 40.5, shuttle time and lane agility time. His standing reach is 8-6 so yeah, what was expected really. He has natural defensive ability. He was talking about how his shot has greatly improved as well which is the biggest question mark on him (what else would he say though, lol).

Every player taken at #11 has THAT THING that drops him there. Heck, even Barrett or Morant have things about their games.

It's a crapshoot. Sometimes, we have a sneaky vibe about a guy (good or bad), and sometimes that pans out. But if we look back at all the #11 picks in the draft, every one of them had a flaw going into their rookie season.

I'm cool with choosing the "at the very least he can be a rotation player in the L" at this spot in the draft. I think I'm in the minority here though.

But you're also saddling yourself in a position to hit on a role player that helps potebntially minimize KAT's defensive defects but doesn't actually push the franchise players best ability - which is offensive. Clarke is going to cause the same issues we've already seen do not work.

People around here loved Taj, and I agree on his positives, but that isn't enough to push us beyond borderline playoff berths. Clarke is that same type of player.

There is a point where you draw the line in the sand. This is it.

Clarke is staying at the status quo, and recreating an already proven ill-oiled machine.

Tyus is a backup game manager - awesome bench pg.

Teague is too tentative, and gone soon.

Okogie is a hopeful 3 and D guy.

RoCo is a 3 and D guy.

Wiggins is a failed, always hopeful talent. Nothing you can bank on.

KBD - let's see.

Dieng is an overpaid backup C.

Dario is a supremely inconsistent 4.

Taj is gone. Rose likely as well.

For the rest, we are hoping on fringe NBA talent to boom in a franchise that has never produced/developed anything.

Strike for the stars and hope this regime can actually align those stars.

3 pt shooting and/or playmakers to start.

Build around KAT. That doesn't start with a guy who's role could be filled by RoCo or KBD.

I held this same idea back when the Butler trade happened. It set us back years. There was a semblance of a sustainable build coming around KAT. But we tore it up for a year of a playoff 1st round ousting. Don't scramble anymore. Pick your franchise player and scheme around him.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Clarke may not have looked good on measurements, but he is blowing everyone away in the testing portion.

If teams are looking for bigs that can switch, defend inside, can stay with guards and plays with a nonstop motor, he's the guy.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

I don't see the Taj and Clarke comparisons myself (other then they are forwards who may not have 3P range). Taj is not athletic comparably and is overrated defensively at this point. IF Clarke can become an elite defender with at least a strong inside offensive game he can be a great player. Think about defensive stoppers who are in the league. Draymond, Roberson, Gobert, etc. They are very valuable.

The Wolves issues are defense and 3 point shooting. Sure would be nice to hit on both, but that is a rare player that can do it all.

Probably the most overlooked reason why GSW has been dominant is they have a great defense. The Wolves have a terrible one.

If Clarke compares to anyone potentially it's Draymond, maybe he could become that or maybe he could become a better shooter with a less strong defensive game.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:I don't see the Taj and Clarke comparisons myself (other then they are forwards who may not have 3P range). Taj is not athletic comparably and is overrated defensively at this point. IF Clarke can become an elite defender with at least a strong inside offensive game he can be a great player. Think about defensive stoppers who are in the league. Draymond, Roberson, Gobert, etc. They are very valuable.

The Wolves issues are defense and 3 point shooting. Sure would be nice to hit on both, but that is a rare player that can do it all.

Probably the most overlooked reason why GSW has been dominant is they have a great defense. The Wolves have a terrible one.

If Clarke compares to anyone potentially it's Draymond, maybe he could become that or maybe he could become a better shooter with a less strong defensive game.

I think this is a reasonable take. The thing about Taj was he is a good but not eye popping athlete. Obviously he has slowed a bit as he has gotten older. Meanwhile he has some real length with a 7'4 wingspan. I think that he is a guy that is sorta old school but can actually switch which I think to some extent compares to Clarke but obviousl ythe upside is much higher for Clarke. The idea of Clarke is that he is like you said an actual force on the defensive end. Taj wasn't that he was a solid above average guy that still has a lot of value. I won't argue his defensive abilities are overrated. I do think Taj still is above average there.

I feel pretty conflicted on Clarke actually but those measurements are pretty tough. I really thought he would measure out more like John Collins who is a decent 6'9.5" in shoes and 6'11" wingspan if I remember correctly when I looked it up this afternoon. Clarke's measurements are closer to being Corey Brewer (only an inch taller same wingspan). Let's let that sink in. Clarke is a better athlete but thats not a big guy. The other guy talked about in this thread a lot is Herro who came it at 6'4" without shoes but a shorter wingspan than his height. Not surprising but not what what I was hoping for. Still he is probably just as big or bigger than a bunch of good SGs in the NBA right now. Comparing Clarke to Draymond is about right with the undersized thing. A big difference is their girth. Even a slimmed down Draymond I'd guess has 25-30 pounds on Clarke. Does Clarke make up for that in quickness? So far this is a choose you flavor draft at #11 and who do you believe in outperforming the floor. Hopefully we get into a few more guys. =)

I think Clarke is more in the siakam mode. Quick active defender that can switch on anyone and hope the shooting comes on. I mean if his measurements came out better than expected, he wouldnt even be in the conversation because he'd be pegged much higher.

I think his quick jump and feet help mitigate some of his lack of length.

Going back and reading through some old draft reports, Clarke also kind of reminds me of Jimmy Butler; except clarke was more productive and alot more athletic, but a different position.

From draftexpress on Jimmy Butler.

His physical tools are fairly average, and he still needs to develop certain parts of his skill set, namely his shooting consistency from the beyond the arc, to maximize his value. However, when evaluating a player like Butler, who simply plays winning basketball, has terrific intangibles, and does all of the little things the help his team, it is important to look at what he can do before condemning him for he can't be. Butler is a heady player who plays within a team concept. He defends, he makes the extra pass, he crashes the glass, he has a terrific basketball IQ, and his attitude is a coach's dream. A product of tireless reps in the gym and a detail oriented system, the senior has a very solid floor game, makes good decision with the ball, scraps on both ends, and maximizes the physical tools he does have. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jimmy-Butler-6315/ ©DraftExpress