2024 Wolves Draft thread

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: 2024 Wolves Draft thread

Post by Lipoli390 »

Sundog wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:54 am But seriously… look at the players that were drafted after Moore and ask yourselves how confident you are in Tim Connelly re: the draft…

27. Heat draft Nikola Jovic (Mega Mozzart)
28. Warriors draft Patrick Baldwin Jr. (Milwaukee)
29. Grizzlies draft TyTy Washington Jr. (Kentucky) — Traded to HOU
30. Thunder draft Peyton Watson (UCLA) — Traded to DEN

2ND ROUND:
31. Pacers draft Andrew Nembhard (Gonzaga)
32. Magic draft Caleb Houstan (Michigan)
33. Raptors draft Christian Koloko (Arizona)
34. Thunder draft Jaylin Williams (Arkansas)
35. Lakers draft Max Christie (Michigan State)
36. Blazers draft Gabriele Procida (Fortitudo Bologna) — Traded to DET
37. Kings draft Jaden Hardy (G League Ignite) — Traded to DAL
I would take any of those guys over Moore in a heartbeat. I don’t have a lot of faith in most of them, but I have absolutely no confidence in Wendell Moore. The picks you listed who I believe will turn out to be good NBA players are Jaylin Williams (already pretty good), Nembhard, and Jovic.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Yup to those guys, but Baldwin, Hardy, Watson also have already provided meaningful production to their teams… Delly Moore was a massive whiff by Connelly
FNG

Post by FNG »

It's interesting to see the guys some of the mocks have us picking at 27. I've seen Pacome Dadiet as our pick in one mock. Lip talks about him earlier in this thread...very young, but some say enormous upside. He also could be part of our new French Connection when Batum joins us in free agency ;) . Another mock has us taking Duke's Filipowski. He might be a good option if we decide to move on from Naz. Aussie Johnny Furphey is a good catch and shoot guy who also shows up at 27 in a couple mocks. I'm not too excited about Gopher Cam Christie, but reports are he has been shooting lights out in workouts.

Nothing to get overly excited about late in the first round (more evidence to me about the success of the Rudy trade), but it's fun to at least be in the game this year.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:43 pm It's interesting to see the guys some of the mocks have us picking at 27. I've seen Pacome Dadiet as our pick in one mock. Lip talks about him earlier in this thread...very young, but some say enormous upside. He also could be part of our new French Connection when Batum joins us in free agency ;) . Another mock has us taking Duke's Filipowski. He might be a good option if we decide to move on from Naz. Aussie Johnny Furphey is a good catch and shoot guy who also shows up at 27 in a couple mocks. I'm not too excited about Gopher Cam Christie, but reports are he has been shooting lights out in workouts.

Nothing to get overly excited about late in the first round (more evidence to me about the success of the Rudy trade), but it's fun to at least be in the game this year.
You just couldn’t resist finding a way to praise the Rudy trade knowing I’d get sucked in. :). It goes without saying that the dearth of talent at the bottom of this year’s 1st round does suggest anything positive about the Rudy trade. However, last year’s draft provides evidence of the negative impact of that trade. We barely made the playoffs in Rudy’s first season here and consequently ended up with the 16th pick. Unfortunately, we gave up that pick among many others to get Rudy. Utah used the pick to take Keyonte George. While KG’s stats weren’t great, he showed flashes of eventually becoming a really really good NBA player. But the much better examples of TC’s folly are Jamie Jacques, Brandin Podziemski, Cam Witmore, Noah Clowney, and Marcus Sasser. All five of those players were selected in the 17-25 range and they all had terrific rookie stats while showing upside that strongly suggests they’ll get even better. As you might recall, my pick would have been Podziemski. I have a man crush on one or two players in every draft and he was my sole crush last year. He averaged 26.6 minutes, 9.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 0.8 steals while shooting 45.4% from the field and 38.5% from behind the arc. Cam Witmore had similarly impressive numbers. And of course, Jacques was fantastic for Miami.

So when I think about what we gave up in the Rudy trade, I think about having Podziemski or Cam Witmore on this team - great upside, already contributing as rookies and roughly the same age as our two young studs, Ant and Jaden. I also think of what we could have acquired in exchange for Vanderbilt, Beasley, Pat Bev and Kessler. And I think of the financial flexibility we’d have now to sign players using the full array of salary cap exceptions last summer and this summer. I’m not arguing that the Rudy deal was a failure or that we’d be a better team right now or even as good. But I see things this franchise could have done to build on a 46-win season when Ant, Jaden and Naz were shadows of their current selves and it’s reasonable to conclude that this team could have ramped their 46 wins up into the 50s by now based solely on the improvement of Ant, Jaden and Naz as well as the addition of Slo Mo. It’s even more reasonable to conclude we’d be a 50+ win team based on all of those things plus some smart trades and free agent signings without trading away half our first round picks the rest of this decade.

OK, it’s obvious I still don’t like the Gobert trade so it’s easy to push my buttons. :). But I accept the trade and see its value. I enjoyed the season and I’m in the camp of those who say we should run it back next season with Rudy, KAT and Ant. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be sad if the Wolves dealt Rudy this summer for the right package in return.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:30 pm
FNG wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:43 pm It's interesting to see the guys some of the mocks have us picking at 27. I've seen Pacome Dadiet as our pick in one mock. Lip talks about him earlier in this thread...very young, but some say enormous upside. He also could be part of our new French Connection when Batum joins us in free agency ;) . Another mock has us taking Duke's Filipowski. He might be a good option if we decide to move on from Naz. Aussie Johnny Furphey is a good catch and shoot guy who also shows up at 27 in a couple mocks. I'm not too excited about Gopher Cam Christie, but reports are he has been shooting lights out in workouts.

You just couldn’t resist finding a way to praise the Rudy trade knowing I’d get sucked in. :). It goes without saying that the dearth of talent at the bottom of this year’s 1st round does suggest anything positive about the Rudy trade. However, last year’s draft provides evidence of the negative impact of that trade. We barely made the playoffs in Rudy’s first season here and consequently ended up with the 16th pick. Unfortunately, we gave up that pick among many others to get Rudy. Utah used the pick to take Keyonte George. While KG’s stats weren’t great, he showed flashes of eventually becoming a really really good NBA player. But the much better examples of TC’s folly are Jamie Jacques, Brandin Podziemski, Cam Witmore, Noah Clowney, and Marcus Sasser. All five of those players were selected in the 17-25 range and they all had terrific rookie stats while showing upside that strongly suggests they’ll get even better. As you might recall, my pick would have been Podziemski. I have a man crush on one or two players in every draft and he was my sole crush last year. He averaged 26.6 minutes, 9.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 0.8 steals while shooting 45.4% from the field and 38.5% from behind the arc. Cam Witmore had similarly impressive numbers. And of course, Jacques was fantastic for Miami.

So when I think about what we gave up in the Rudy trade, I think about having Podziemski or Cam Witmore on this team - great upside, already contributing as rookies and roughly the same age as our two young studs, Ant and Jaden. I also think of what we could have acquired in exchange for Vanderbilt, Beasley, Pat Bev and Kessler. And I think of the financial flexibility we’d have now to sign players using the full array of salary cap exceptions last summer and this summer. I’m not arguing that the Rudy deal was a failure or that we’d be a better team right now or even as good. But I see things this franchise could have done to build on a 46-win season when Ant, Jaden and Naz were shadows of their current selves and it’s reasonable to conclude that this team could have ramped their 46 wins up into the 50s by now based solely on the improvement of Ant, Jaden and Naz as well as the addition of Slo Mo. It’s even more reasonable to conclude we’d be a 50+ win team based on all of those things plus some smart trades and free agent signings without trading away half our first round picks the rest of this decade.

OK, it’s obvious I still don’t like the Gobert trade so it’s easy to push my buttons. :). But I accept the trade and see its value. I enjoyed the season and I’m in the camp of those who say we should run it back next season with Rudy, KAT and Ant. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be sad if the Wolves dealt Rudy this summer for the right package in return.
I think even you have to admit it's a success. We can't know how things would have turned out not doing the trade with the millions of variable outcomes. However we just had a top 2 team in franchise history. We actually were/are a contender and things continue to go in a positive direction.

Now it could go backwards if ownership decides the need to cut salary and retool the team. Or if injuries happens. Who knows. I'm happy we made the trade though. Just having a chance to win it all made it worth it.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:30 pm

Regardless of how you may feel about the Gobert trade, i think even the person who hates this trade the most has to admit this season doesn't happen without that trade.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Will the Wolves get LeBron James Jr in for a workout? The suspense is killing me. :mrgreen:
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

The @Timberwolves are hosting a draft workout today with the following prospects:

Fardaws Aimaq (California)
Jermaine Couisnard (Oregon)
Ajay Mitchell (UCSB)
Tyler Thomas (Hofstra)
Drew Pember (UNC Asheville)
Terrence Shannon Jr. (Illinois)

Second time we've worked out Ajay Mitchell, might be something there.
Leado01

Post by Leado01 »

I wouldn't be surprised if we draft Shannon. His stock dropped with the court case but he's 24 and can score at 3 levels, he's a good defender with a decent handle. If he's still available we will be taking him as he's NBA ready
1965-2023
"He Meant Well"
FNG

Post by FNG »

Leado01 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:46 pm I wouldn't be surprised if we draft Shannon. His stock dropped with the court case but he's 24 and can score at 3 levels, he's a good defender with a decent handle. If he's still available we will be taking him as he's NBA ready
A 24-year old prolific scorer that also has some defensive potential has got to attract the attention of a team looking to win now. Shannon will undoubtedly be statistically the best player available at 27, but I would pass. First, at age 23 he was playing against players much younger than him his senior year. Second, even though he was found guilty in his rape case, it doesn't look good to me. I get the interest from a basketball standpoint, but I don't think I would draft him.