Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Brooklyn_Wolves [enjin:14608167]

Re: Keep Ricky in Minnesota

Post by Brooklyn_Wolves [enjin:14608167] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Here is a composite of where Ricky ranks this season versus other starting PGs in various advanced stats:

RPM (a plus-minus type stat that Team Ricky loves) - 5th
EWA ( a Hollinger box-score stat that Khans loves) - 13th
PER - 12th
WS/48 - 11th
Wins Produced - 6th
VORP - 10th
BPM - 11th

I can't think of any others. Of course Team Ricky is using the stat the most generous to Ricky and Khans is using a stat that is one of the least generous to Ricky (yet still not bad).

But the one common theme is that every single one has him placed in the upper half of starting PGs.

I don't know what most of those stats mean. For example... Rubio is one of the best in the league at "wins produced" but the team is 17 - 37.

As I noted earlier, wouldn't this mean that the rest of the team is fucking terrible? I mean we have a facilitating, all-world defensive PG... but the team still loses 2x more than it wins and is near the very bottom of the league on defense.

Actually, wins produced look like a good stat.

Rubio produced 7 wins so far and if we deduct Rubio and his wins the team would be 10 - 44. It seems about right to me.

Curry produced 15 wins, if Wariiors played without Curry they would be about 33 - 19 which fits with my personal observation.

Westbrook and Durant produced 25 wins between them. Without them OKC would be a very bad team with 15 - 39 record. Very realistic if you ask me.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

lipoli390 wrote:I don't believe the report. It's not credible for two reasons. First, it was reported by the New York Daily News. Second, it makes no sense to trade a key asset like Ricky before we hire our long-term PBO and head coach. Of course, this is Glen Taylor so I suppose the Wolves doing something that makes no sense doesn't necessarily make the story unbelievable. But it is the New York Daily News.

Agree. The New York rags have had Rubio "available" since he was drafted.

While I'm sure if an awesome deal came along, the Wolves would listen. I see nothing the Knicks have to offer.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

lipoli390 wrote:I don't believe the report. It's not credible for two reasons. First, it was reported by the New York Daily News. Second, it makes no sense to trade a key asset like Ricky before we hire our long-term PBO and head coach. Of course, this is Glen Taylor so I suppose the Wolves doing something that makes no sense doesn't necessarily make the story unbelievable. But it is the New York Daily News.

Reports are saying we are taking calls for him, but not making them. Why is that hard to believe? We should be taking calls for everyone but Towns because that's what you are supposed to do. 99% a deal won't be made, but you never know if a GM comes at you with more value than the guy you'd be dealing just because that GM liked the guy more than our GM.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:

Reports are saying we are taking calls for him, but not making them. Why is that hard to believe? We should be taking calls for everyone but Towns because that's what you are supposed to do. 99% a deal won't be made, but you never know if a GM comes at you with more value than the guy you'd be dealing just because that GM liked the guy more than our GM.

The reports I've seen have said that the Wolves are "making Rubio available" which to me indicates that they're shopping him, and they aren't. Newton said the other day to Wolfson that if someone called about him, he would absolutely listen to what they had to say in the best interest of the franchise. Taking a phone call is different than making one.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

khans2k5 wrote:

The headline states that "Wolves making Rubio Available". That's a lot different than picking up the phone to listen. That headline implies they are proactively shopping him, which I think is false, especially given the source.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

The New York rag was trying to create a story when there wasn't one. It started off as Isola saying that Rubio was being made available. I'm sure that was based on Milt saying if someone calls we'll listen--which you can translate as just in case someone offers a ridiculous bounty, its my duty to listen. Then a different news rag sited the same Isola story but gave it a bolder title ie "The Wolves are shopping Rubio." Kind of ridiculous that we have to hear the same crap every trade deadline and offseason.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

TeamRicky wrote:The New York rag was trying to create a story when there wasn't one. It started off as Isola saying that Rubio was being made available. I'm sure that was based on Milt saying if someone calls we'll listen--which you can translate as just in case someone offers a ridiculous bounty, its my duty to listen. Then a different news rag sited the same Isola story but gave it a bolder title ie "The Wolves are shopping Rubio." Kind of ridiculous that we have to hear the same crap every trade deadline and offseason.

To be fair, it's not just the Wolves.

Rumors are at the heart of every sport's information cycle... especially when games aren't being played. With no games for a few more days, get ready for A LOT more.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Camden0916 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

The reports I've seen have said that the Wolves are "making Rubio available" which to me indicates that they're shopping him, and they aren't. Newton said the other day to Wolfson that if someone called about him, he would absolutely listen to what they had to say in the best interest of the franchise. Taking a phone call is different than making one.

See, I read "making him available" as give us a call and we won't hang up on you right away. I don't read "making him available" as actively shopping him to teams.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:

Exactly, Cam!
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

I'm tired of the Rubiarguing. He's an above-average PG with a unique skill set that has advantages and disadvantages.

To me, Rubio's defense is very good, but not quite as good as sold early in this thread. He might hold his own guys to low shooting percentages, and I love how he picks up steals, but opponents often get dribble penetration against him which puts pressure on our bigs. Still, defensively, he's good, better off the ball and not an imposing defender, but he definitely moves the needle defensively.

Offensively, yeah, he truly is one of the worst shooters in the game, but given the passing, rebounding, FTs, hustle, and leadership he brings, he's worth it if we get a great 3 point shooting 2 guard to play with him. Part of Ricky's shooting weakness is exacerbated by the fact that we've got basically no 3 point shooting on this team right now.

I was a Rubio skeptic early on when so many people were treating him like a savior, but I've actually come around to liking him because of the intangibles he brings to the table. There are probably about starting 10 PGs I would definitely take over Rubio, but after that, Rubio stacks up pretty well. I would be very reluctant to trade him. First, I'd be looking to get a great 3 and D guy to put next to him at the 2.