Wolves vs Nuggs GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Wolves vs Nuggs GDT

Post by Lipoli390 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:24 pm Anybody surprised we blew out the champs? I'm not. This team is ultra talented and capable of this every night. We should be 4-0 as far as I'm concerned, and the fact we're not is a problem.
I agree, Cool.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:32 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:27 pm
Coolbreeze44 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:24 pm Anybody surprised we blew out the champs? I'm not. This team is ultra talented and capable of this every night. We should be 4-0 as far as I'm concerned, and the fact we're not is a problem.
Nah, talented but embarrassed teams usually play hard next game and so a matchup against the Nuggets at home was the panacea. Conley was amazing and KAT played good. Hopefully, I won't have to read any more trade KAT for a pile of Knicks garbage for a long while or at least until they blow a huge lead again.
We've seen KAT play a lot better. He was average tonight, nothing to hang your hat on.
This. I'm waiting to see how the team looks when he hits his stride. That could transform the offense.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Phenom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:10 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:27 pm

Nah, talented but embarrassed teams usually play hard next game and so a matchup against the Nuggets at home was the panacea. Conley was amazing and KAT played good. Hopefully, I won't have to read any more trade KAT for a pile of Knicks garbage for a long while or at least until they blow a huge lead again.
We've seen KAT play a lot better. He was average tonight, nothing to hang your hat on.
This. I'm waiting to see how the team looks when he hits his stride. That could transform the offense.
I was thinking the same thing, Phenom. KAT isn’t going to continue missing those short shots and he’ll eventually get his three-point shooting back around 40%. When that happens, this team’s offense should be really strong. I’ll add that Edwards hasn’t been playing his best basketball either - on either end.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:13 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Phenom. KAT isn’t going to continue missing those short shots and he’ll eventually get his three-point shooting back around 40%. When that happens, this team’s offense should be really strong. I’ll add that Edwards hasn’t been playing his best basketball either - on either end.
It feels like when I watch Ant he is thinking a bit too much about the role he is trying to perform during each segment of the game, facilitator, alpha scorer, etc. His ability can fortunately mask it sometimes. But you are right that he isn't at his best now. I do like his attention to the glass though.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Phenom wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:46 pm

It feels like when I watch Ant he is thinking a bit too much about the role he is trying to perform during each segment of the game, facilitator, alpha scorer, etc. His ability can fortunately mask it sometimes. But you are right that he isn't at his best now. I do like his attention to the glass though.
The thing that makes Ant kind of difficult to incorporate into an offense is that he isn't a pick and roll wizard that can manipulate the defense and make crafty passes in tight spaces. Nor is he an off ball cutter and mover that comes off tons of screens.

He's suited best in a 5-out offense where everyone can shoot and he can go iso-ball with a wide open paint. Can you imagine him on the Celtics??
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:44 am

The thing that makes Ant kind of difficult to incorporate into an offense is that he isn't a pick and roll wizard that can manipulate the defense and make crafty passes in tight spaces. Nor is he an off ball cutter and mover that comes off tons of screens.

He's suited best in a 5-out offense where everyone can shoot and he can go iso-ball with a wide open paint. Can you imagine him on the Celtics??

Good call on the Celtics...

Think Jaylen Brown... only I think he'd be BETTER.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

AbeVigodaLive wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:32 am
Q-is-here wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:44 am

Good call on the Celtics...

Think Jaylen Brown... only I think he'd be BETTER.
Yeah, Ant has a way quicker first step than Brown or Tatum. Those two guys have TONS of space to operate. This was even true before they got Porzingis, back when Horford would start at Center for them, set elite screens and then fade out to the 3 point arc. Just gives Tatum and Brown tons of room.

I can envision a future where may be the Wolves go in this direction after the Gobert/KAT window closes. Naz is really setting himself up to be a really good big pairing with Ant, at least on offense.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Next Day DVR Review:

- Another 19 point halftime lead, only it felt different. First of all, the law of averages was definitely on the Wolves side. But the Nuggets were playing awful. Against Atlanta, both teams were playing well offensively in the 1st half, the Wolves historically well. It wasn't sustainable... so when they went cold...

- How much of Denver playing poorly was luck/human nature and how much was it the Wolves? Jamal Murray didn't hit shots he normally does... same with Jokic. BUT... the Wolves continue to look mostly good defensively. Rudy Gobert has been fantastic. A guy who only shoots at the rim went 0 - 7 fg and still played fantastic. He "looks" better than last year, closer to what people expected defensively.

- Edwards was "fine." The hero ball moments are still there. The three pointers have been great (54.2%) while he's struggled more than usual at the rim. It's like we're all waiting for his break out. It hasn't happened yet this season. When it does... will it be via hero ball and thus, more hero ball, or will it be more organic in the offense and thus more effective? There are also moments in each game where he's trying to make a pass to keep things moving. It's been with mixed results right now. It seems a bit unnatural right now and simply not part of his arsenal. But he's trying... sometimes. His ability to figure it out (and willingness to do it more often) determines EVERYTHING with this franchise.

- Offensively, Towns had yet another subpar game. Only, he got away with two hooks that he often gets called for. If he gets away with more of those this season... watch out. Granted, he'd still lead the league in offensive fouls, but at least he wouldn't lead it by a country mile. It's now been 38 games with Towns and Gobert... and Towns is shooting only 34% on three pointers. Maybe a longer, sustained stretch is needed for any declarative statements, but so far, it appears as though the spacing with the two of them is impacting Towns behind the arc. Or, just the uncertainty of his role. But his overall offensive game was not the same last year. And it's definitely not any better through 4 games.

- Jaden McDaniels seems to be making more of a concerted effort to nab rebounds so far.

- Eventually, we'll see more from Alexander-Walker and Milton. So far, I can't really tell them apart, either on the court or looking at statistics. Both are averaging 4 points and 2 assists on 30% shooting. Somewhere, Jaylen Nowell is screaming "See! It's the Timberwolves curse!"

- Mike Conley and Kyle Anderson played like... Mike Conley and Kyle Anderson. It'll be interesting to see the development of others because there's a good chance neither is on the team next season.

- Great bounce-back win.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Agree with most of your points Abe, although I see a massive difference between Shake and NAW on defense. NAW is an absolute pest on defense and part of the reason we currently have the #1 NBA defense. His offensive struggles are real, but he has made a real impact on the other side.

Shake gives a nice effort on defense, but doesn't quite have the doggedness and lateral mobility as NAW (nor is he assigned the toughest guy to guard).
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:21 am Agree with most of your points Abe, although I see a massive difference between Shake and NAW on defense. NAW is an absolute pest on defense and part of the reason we currently have the #1 NBA defense. His offensive struggles are real, but he has made a real impact on the other side.

Shake gives a nice effort on defense, but doesn't quite have the doggedness and lateral mobility as NAW (nor is he assigned the toughest guy to guard).
I haven't been as impressed as you about NAW's defense. I think Rudy is the main reason for our defensive success, but I do like NAW and think his defense is above average (but I haven't seen stifling yet except for last playoffs), but I think we both agree that his offensive is pretty unreliable. Since you brought up NAW's impact, I can't help but noticing that he is a team worst -16 for the year, while Shake is plus 11. I agree that Shake doesn't have great lateral mobility, but he does hustle and he is disciplined and covers ground with his seven foot wingspan typically on the weakside. FWIW, Shake has more steals than NAW (4 to 2) so its not like he has no impact on defense. I am happy we have both guys especially for what we are paying them.
Last edited by KG4Ever on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.