Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheFuture

Re: Jimmy Butler Trade Ideas

Post by TheFuture »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:There's something funky with Teague's contract. If you try to trade him using the ESPN trade machine the trade always fails. So I'm not sure he's tradable as a practical matter.

There are three players on the Wolves roster I would not trade: KAT, Okogie and Tyus. I'd be reluctant to trade Taj because I like his leadership and his contract expires the end of this season.

That trade machine becomes less reliable every year.

Teague can be traded, but I don't see many (any) suitors outside of Phoenix. Ask for a first, settle for 2-3 seconds. If they don't accept that then just keep him and hope he doesn't opt in after Jimmy and Taj are gone.

If a trade goes down with HOU that has MIN taking back Knight, causing a logjam at PG, then just move Teague for matching wing/post salary and call it a win. No one wants him. I would love to get value for him the same way I want the Vikes to get a 7th rounder for each of the 37 guys they cut in camp, but you have to be realistic.

What team has a useful matching wing/post salary player that can use Teague without creating a logjam of their own? I'm not just giving Teague away, he is a valuable player - not a throw away.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

TheFuture wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:There's something funky with Teague's contract. If you try to trade him using the ESPN trade machine the trade always fails. So I'm not sure he's tradable as a practical matter.

There are three players on the Wolves roster I would not trade: KAT, Okogie and Tyus. I'd be reluctant to trade Taj because I like his leadership and his contract expires the end of this season.

You too with the Tyus? Can I watch Kepler and Jones wrestle on PPV for the title of most overrated? Special Guest Referree Richard Pitino? I starting to like this.

Tyus isn't great, but he does hold value. Doubtful he returns a 1st, and a 2nd back for him is not worth it. His salary isnt large enough to absorb a big expiring + a pick either. He is cheap, capable, and has some upside.

You'd likely only focus on this aspect if I didn't add this prior to the next statement, but it is warranted - he is a hometown kid. That does mean a lot for an organization as it goes through a change. Keeps some butts in the seats.

He's a draw? Weird. If a JimmyBricks trade framework has them taking back Knight and/or Gordon and sending out Bricks and maybe Taj, they are going to need Post and wing minutes. Tyus seems like he would get more back. I don't dislike him, I just don't see what the big deal is.

Have a good night.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

The Jeff Teague hate is becoming over the top, much in the same way that it was when Thaddeus Young was the scapegoat of the Wolves. What a weird fan base I'm a part of.
Duke13

Post by Duke13 »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
TheFuture wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:And if we do this rockets deal we have to look and deal Teague.

Offer Teague to the suns for Chandler and a lotto protected 1st. If not converted in 5 years it becomes 2 2nds.

Easily the first thing I would do after a Jimmy trade. Then feel out any market for Taj.

I'm thinking HOU is gonna want Taj. And that's OK.

Why would they won't him?
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

So the Wolves would be back to rebuilding mode and the "Promise of Hope" as we wait and wait and wait for lottery balls and draft picks to maybe possibly but probably not pan out?

Meh.

I think fans deserve more than 1 playoff spot (1 win) in 20 years.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:So the Wolves would be back to rebuilding mode and the "Promise of Hope" as we wait and wait and wait for lottery balls and draft picks to maybe possibly but probably not pan out?

Meh.

I think fans deserve more than 1 playoff spot (1 win) in 20 years.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this one. 4 first rounders is some great currency, but none of it is a "bird in the hand". We would be counting on our POBO to be able to turn that into something(s) of value eventually.

I'm kind of hoping this stirs up some other good offers that involve at least one existing young player that can step in and help right away on the wing.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm not exactly jumping up and down for the Wolves to make this trade, but there's a lot you can do with a plethora of first-round picks in pocket and a ton of cap flexibility in the future. You can be straight up with them and essentially throw multiple darts at a class of prospects and try to come away with a potential cornerstone -- or two, or three. You can package a couple picks to move up for a perceived star prospect who slipped in the draft for whatever reason. You can pair several with a decently established player and an expiring contract for a young stud looking to change venues [James Harden situation]. Or you could sell them for cash because your owner is Glen Taylor [ugh]. The overall flexibility and added chances of finding a star(s) in the draft is the draw here.

Not to mention, the Wolves [s]could[/s] [should] request Eric Gordon be in the package for salary reasons and play him heavily from now to the trade deadline and potentially garner another first-round pick for him at the trade deadline if they so chose to do so. Or keep him and immediately improve the team's three-point shooting and floor spacing for the next year and a half.

Lastly, the Wolves would once again be a pretty attractive place for available GM/HC types. Essentially handing the new hires a clean slate from which to work with: a 23-year old All-NBA big man, a 20-year old guard with loads of potential and drive, several veteran pieces on short-term contracts, 11 first-round picks in the next seven years, and upwards of $30M in cap space in the summer of 2020 -- potentially $50M if Dieng was offloaded.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:I'm not exactly jumping up and down for the Wolves to make this trade, but there's a lot you can do with a plethora of first-round picks in pocket and a ton of cap flexibility in the future. You can be straight up with them and essentially throw multiple darts at a class of prospects and try to come away with a potential cornerstone -- or two, or three. You can package a couple picks to move up for a perceived star prospect who slipped in the draft for whatever reason. You can pair several with a decently established player and an expiring contract for a young stud looking to change venues [James Harden situation]. Or you could sell them for cash because your owner is Glen Taylor [ugh]. The overall flexibility and added chances of finding a star(s) in the draft is the draw here.

Not to mention, the Wolves [s]could[/s] [should] request Eric Gordon be in the package for salary reasons and play him heavily from now to the trade deadline and potentially garner another first-round pick for him at the trade deadline if they so chose to do so. Or keep him and immediately improve the team's three-point shooting and floor spacing for the next year and a half.

Lastly, the Wolves would once again be a pretty attractive place for available GM/HC types. Essentially handing the new hires a clean slate from which to work with: a 23-year old All-NBA big man, a 20-year old guard with loads of potential and drive, several veteran pieces on short-term contracts, 11 first-round picks in the next seven years, and upwards of $30M in cap space in the summer of 2020 -- potentially $50M if Dieng was offloaded.

Well said you laid it out very well here.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Camden wrote:I'm not exactly jumping up and down for the Wolves to make this trade, but there's a lot you can do with a plethora of first-round picks in pocket and a ton of cap flexibility in the future. You can be straight up with them and essentially throw multiple darts at a class of prospects and try to come away with a potential cornerstone -- or two, or three. You can package a couple picks to move up for a perceived star prospect who slipped in the draft for whatever reason. You can pair several with a decently established player and an expiring contract for a young stud looking to change venues [James Harden situation]. Or you could sell them for cash because your owner is Glen Taylor [ugh]. The overall flexibility and added chances of finding a star(s) in the draft is the draw here.

The Wolves have TWO max guys (#1 picks) from the draft.

And that's led us to rebuilding and trying to find another gem like them?

Most importantly... with the same ownership group at the helm?

Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:Just got another note from my friend who has been late-night texting with his source. Apparently, Houston wants lottery protection on the last two picks. Under League rules that would mean the Wolves rights to each pick would have to be extinguished if it ended up in the lottery. Source said that will likely be a snag for the Wolves. But given how motivated Houston is to get Butler, the source thinks Houston will relent on the lottery protection. Again, source says it will ultimately be up to the Wolves on whether 4 picks is a price they're willing to accept for Butler.

Thanks for the reports Lip. If that's the protections Houston wants on the last 2 picks it's basically not a real 4 pick offer. No protections on all the picks or they don't get Butler.

Edit: Does you source have any sense of the players that could be coming back in the deal?